MOT Exemption

Hi guys, new to this so please bare with me,

I am currently working my way through restoring a 1984 land rover 90 which was first registered on August 1st 1984, It has though in the last 10 years had an engine change from a 2.25 petrol to a 200tdi & brakes have been upgraded to disc all round.

Would this still qualify for Mot exemption in August with regards to the engine?, my understanding with the brakes are that as it is a safety improvement they are fine.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

The requirement for engines is “Alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered to be a substantial change”

I would consider a 200Tdi to fall quite comfortably within this definition.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, they said the mods had to be to increase safety or efficiency.  A Tdi is much more efficient than the petrol, so would seem to easily qualify, in addition to Stephen’s comment above.

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The bad news is it's not eligible for tax/MOT exempt till April 25. Our 110 was registered may 83 and I can apply shortly.

Mike

If I recall correctly the dates are different for each. So you might be able to get Historic status and be valid for one but not the other. Pretty sure that’s what happened with one of my Series 3’s. 

24 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Here's my experience:

The short version is that I could not find anyone anywhere who actually cares. so just go ahead with it and don't worry.

The entire process is a self declaration one, you have to sign to say you are meeting the guidance. So if it turns out you aren't, you would be liable. But there isn't an active check or pre-qualification process.

43 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

The entire process is a self declaration one, you have to sign to say you are meeting the guidance. So if it turns out you aren't, you would be liable. But there isn't an active check or pre-qualification process.

It's not the guidance, it's trying to find anyone who could tell me what the correct interpretation of the guidance should be... in the end no-one could tell me anything more than the very vague / wide-open stuff on their website so I went with it on the grounds my 109 is at the very worst no more dangerous than when it left the factory and it's almost entirely LR parts.

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It's not the guidance, it's trying to find anyone who could tell me what the correct interpretation of the guidance should be... in the end no-one could tell me anything more than the very vague / wide-open stuff on their website so I went with it on the grounds my 109 is at the very worst no more dangerous than when it left the factory and it's almost entirely LR parts.

Yes exactly, hence why it is a self declaration. There are too many cars and variables for the gov to give examples or definitives, just like the radically altered or rebuilt regs. So it is down to you as the owner to interpret them and decide if you comply or not. To which you then sign. If the DVLA or DVSA decide to disagree, they will generally have the power they need. So you will never be able to find anyone to give you conclusive answers.

Just now, Chicken Drumstick said:

Yes exactly, hence why it is a self declaration. There are too many cars and variables for the gov to give examples or definitives, just like the radically altered or rebuilt regs. So it is down to you as the owner to interpret them and decide if you comply or not. To which you then sign. If the DVLA or DVSA decide to disagree, they will generally have the power they need. So you will never be able to find anyone to give you conclusive answers.

That said, for the most part it is fairly obvious with the intent of what they are wanting.