from 2.5NA to 200TDI temperature gauge

hello all , 

trying to find some info if i need to change the gauge on my Eurover project , the car was born as a 2.5NA and now has a 200TDI engine (with original temp sender), does this work with the older 2.5NA gauge (PRC7311) or do i need to change to a different gauge , and so wich one  ? AMR2070 this one is from chassisnumber JA916596 or do i need AMR2631 this is from chassisnumber KA928140 (or is this 300TDI) 

I think there were different senders used on the 200tdi engines, depending whether it was Defender or Discovery spec. I think the Discovery spec 200tdi engines will make your gauge read incorrectly. I have a stack gauge and corresponding sender fitted to my 200Tdi, it cost a few £ but I highly recommend it.

32 minutes ago, monkie said:

I think there were different senders used on the 200tdi engines, depending whether it was Defender or Discovery spec. I think the Discovery spec 200tdi engines will make your gauge read incorrectly. I have a stack gauge and corresponding sender fitted to my 200Tdi, it cost a few £ but I highly recommend it.

That’s right.  It was mentioned in Glencoyne recent LRM article.  One version of the engine has a sender with green plastic, the other with black plastic, denoting compatibility with either Defender or Discovery gauges, but he has recently been having trouble finding reliable senders.  Might be worth contacting him to see whether he has determined and brand is reliable.

Our 110 was a 2.25 diesel converted to disco 200tdi. The guage as far as I can tell is original but we did swap the sender to a defender version to get it to read correctly. The one thing I will say is I wouldn't bank on them being accurate but once you have established it's not doing anything silly it settle in a set position for normal running ours is just over halfway on the guage which then gives you a baseline.

Mike

ok , so it seems the defender spec engine temperature sender will work with the "old" 2.5 (or earlier) gauge , 

i'll leave it for the moment and have a look when the wiring is in place .

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. It will be very obvious if you have a compatibly issue as the gauge will either do nothing or jump right up into the red. Easy enough to sort out with a later gauge from a Tdi Defender if necessary