lt77 conversion

dougall59

hi all,

i have a 72 lightweight with a 200tdi engine fitted, with disco diffs ect, currently with a standard series gearbox.

the question is can i fit an defender 90 lt77 gearbox into the landy without to much adapting?

any help appreciated.

Should just bolt on to the back of the engine ok, gearbox tunnel will require some modifications as will handbrake set up ( I sorted mine to take the LT77 cable set up ) Cannot remember on the Gearbox mounts, prop shafts will also need changing hope this helps a bit 

regards Stephen

It can be done but the rear prop can end up incredibly short, so it's worth waving a tape measure around.

There's more than a few LT77/R380 + LT230 conversions around this forum, it's easy in a LWB, a bit harder in a SWB.

In short, no.  

You can fit it, but the LT77 with adaptor for the transfer box is about 4” longer than the LT76, so you need to either move the transfer box aft (which means custom shafts, the rear being very short and likely to have UJ issues, alteration of the hand brake linkage and perhaps speedo cable, the cross member under the transmission and of course the tunnel cover, bulkhead tunnel and front of the seat base may need alteration.  

some fit the LT230 too, which can cause other fitment issues including the front axle swivel UJs.  That wouldn’t be too much of an issue off road, but can introduce a steering kick on high traction surfaces.

So, doable, yes, but “without much adapting” is a loaded question and depends on how good you are with fabricating and welding.