lifting roof

I don't want or need one but this is the nicest lifting roof I've seen so just wanted to share it for others.

IMG_20240409_162423.thumb.jpg.07fb5ef02ab1bae07ebcceb4d0d64886.jpg

I saw it parked locally so know nothing about it. I could make one like this if I wanted one. :ph34r:

Mike

• Like 3

I suspect it’s Drivelodge too.  They don’t have quite the opening area or volume of the Alucab types, but they are a fraction of the price and I think they are a much neater installation.what would be better for me is if they had a parallel lifting roof version (a bit like a Maggiolina tent) that covered the flat section of the roof with the same small side curve overlap but not covering the front slope, so the slightly different profile of the Series roof and the existing sunroof wouldn’t be a problem, and also to maximise the internal volume instead of having a shallow wedge at the front.  They make systems for many vehicles, not just Defenders, so it’s possible they have something.  I’ll ask them one day.

The Alucab Icarus roof does produce a slightly strange look when closed. However it provides an ‘upstairs’. It really is a bedroom above a ‘living room’.

When you are ready to turn-in, you pull the bed down (it’s stowed on gas struts, up on an angle under the roof) and climb up, closing the access flap at the rear door end. There’s nothing else to move or fix. The bed is the same size as the area of the roof.

With the bed down it’s just possible to sit underneath on foam seats at the wheel arches (I am 1.8m).

😄Just thought I’d mention it. I am biased of course and am sitting in my ‘living room’ right now.😉

• Like 4

I agree some are more practical than others, I'm afraid I've never been a fan of the alucab style I just don't like the way they look closed. The one above however looked very discreet and as I parked next to it I thought I'd share.

Mike

• Like 1

Yes, from a comfort point of view, the Alucab and similar types are better as they offer more space and contain a full bed.  Still, like Mike, I’d go for the Drivelodge for the better closed appearance and the price, plus the fact that the Brownchurch rack can be modified but left in situ to protect it.

I had been considering making a front hinged version of the original roof for my 109.  Should be easier than on a 110 because of the flat profile all the way around the sides and front edges.  Still a bit of a headache over the rear door, but I have some ideas.  Unlikely to ever happen, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely one of Mick’s from drivelodge. Really neet and well priced.  However I do have an alu-cab tent and am considering an Icarus but the cost is not nice. Decisions  decisions!