Calling Mike tomcat - fibreglass help needed !

I am staying with my mum at the moment and I could do with some advice about what best to do to sort her campervan out. It has some cracking in a small area which I have taken a picture of. It doesnt leak, but it looks unsightly and I would like to try and fix it so it doesnt get worse. Any idea what to do !?!

Thanks

Tim

IMG_20240517_160645.jpg

There's a couple of ways to fix this. You can just grind it out apply some gel coat, sand flat and polish up. It will crack again though and matching the gel can be troublesome.

Basically the area has flexed and cracked the gel coat however this means it has likely cracked the lay up as well. The all out proper fix is to grind it out, lay some tissue or chopstrand mat up in the area, flat this back once cured then mix up a gel match, screed that in (may take several layers), flat back and polish up. Another way is grind out apply tissue or CSM, flat back, fill with body filler and paint.

This video and the following one are a pretty good how to.

Failing all this you could just cover it with a sticker especially if you try any of above and the colour is off.

Feel free to PM me for a phone number if you want to talk about it.

Mike

• Like 2

14 hours ago, volvotgb said:

Thanks very much, its most appreciated. I am going to have a go at doing it properly !

Like I say I'm more than happy to talk you through it if you want.

Mike