Clutch adjustment

Hello all, I searched through the forum but couldn't quite find an answer to this particular problem. We have a 1988 LHD LR Defender. It's been driving great but recently have had a small issue come up with the clutch. The clutch engages a little too quickly in the travel from being pressed down all the way. So for example you put the clutch in, put the truck into 1st gear, once you start releasing the clutch say even a few millimeters, it will engage the drive. Hence there is very little freeplay. There is a fair amount of freeplay from fully out to when it starts to engage the clutch is more than halfway down. Is there a diagram or video that might show me how to adjust the clutch? Hopefully I'm explaining this ok.

In normal service the clutch does not need adjusting, the push rod adjustment is really only there for initial set up.

If it's been working fine and the bite point has suddenly changed it would indicate something is failing, either in the hydraulics, the clutch itself or, if it's a 4 cylinder engine, the clutch arm pivot is punching it's way through the clutch arm (V8s have a stronger arm so not applicable). 

Diagnose the problem rather than fiddle with things.

• Like 1

There are only two things, which are important.

1. Freeplay for the pedal. If there is none, the clutch can stay pressed a bit.

2. It has to open completely when pressed. Otherwise gearshifting will be hard.

The hight of the pedal can be adjusted as you like it as long as 1 and 2 are guaranteed.

Well if the slave is leaking, it usually means the master will expire just after you have renewed the slave and filled and bled the system, so it is advisable to replace both.

Posted (edited)

I took the cap off of the master cylinder and saw that it was nearly empty. I bled the system with new brake fluid, and it is working much better now. Doesn't look like there is a leak at the slave, but possible a small leak at the master. I think for now I'll just ensure that it remains topped off until it gets worse...

Edited by iron_city

If it has got to that that (empty) then it will fail withing the next two weeks, just the ways these things go.... 

Unless you to be stranded by the side of the road you'd be better just to get it sorted, it is not a big job and parts pretty cheap. 

4 hours ago, iron_city said:

I'm not perfect, wish I was...

Ask away with whatever Q's you have, all questions are worth asking. 

There is a wealth of experience here and most of it is shared with tact and mutual respect.

TRW is a common OEM replacement brand this side of the pond for clutch hydraulics .

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve b said:

Ask away with whatever Q's you have, all questions are worth asking. 

There is a wealth of experience here and most of it is shared with tact and mutual respect.

TRW is a common OEM replacement brand this side of the pond for clutch hydraulics .

Steve

TRW is a sub-brand of Lucas, like GKN.  That qualifies them as OEM, and Gen Parts “switched” from Lucas to GKN to TRW as Lucas moved various divisions around in their organisation.  But, sadly, their quality is not brilliant.  They are better than most aftermarket sources, but not immune to being defective from new; I had a faulty TRW master cylinder that caused a lot of head scratching until I replaced it with a second unit, which has been absolutely fine.

no problem @Sigi_H, and thank you all, I'm truly grateful for all of the incredibly helpful responses here. I know I would not be able to manage keeping this Defender running without this resource. 🙏

• Thanks 1