Power Steering box replacement options?

Hi all,

I'm in Bots/Zim/Zam touring around slowly and my steering box has been leaking slowly for a while.
My Landy is a 1991 200 TDI Defender 110 - it was an Adwest box put in around 2006 to give me power assisted steering.

My German mechanic in Nam says that when they start leaking they are kind of worn out and should be replaced.
SA mechanic here in Bots says the main shaft is usually worn so even if you replace the seals, it will still leak again unless you also replace the shaft. He can get a box from SA of unknown origin or brand for about £600 which is from South Africa, which I assume is a rebuilt one etc

Could somebody kindly help me with the part number I'm looking for?
And suggestions as to my best options please as I'm willing to ship one from the UK, but not if its just a Britpart one.
I'd like to replace it with another Adwest - can you still get them?

Thanks!

steering1.jpeg

Edited by roamingyak

3 hours ago, roamingyak said:

Hi all,

I'm in Bots/Zim/Zam touring around slowly and my steering box has been leaking slowly for a while.
My Landy is a 1991 200 TDI Defender 110 - it was an Adwest box put in around 2006 to give me power assisted steering.

My German mechanic in Nam says that when they start leaking they are kind of worn out and should be replaced.
SA mechanic here in Bots says the main shaft is usually worn so even if you replace the seals, it will still leak again unless you also replace the shaft. He can get a box from SA of unknown origin or brand for about £600 which is from South Africa, which I assume is a rebuilt one etc

Could somebody kindly help me with the part number I'm looking for?
And suggestions as to my best options please as I'm willing to ship one from the UK, but not if its just a Britpart one.
I'd like to replace it with another Adwest - can you still get them?

Thanks!

steering1.jpeg

That's not leaking from the "normal" place. You have a good chance of fixing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That an interesting article but there's a key bit of translation there that caught me eye as it's fairly important 😃

Within a day, the steering gear was leaking again.

So I picked-up the sentence Innerhalb eines Tages war das Lenkgetriebe wieder dicht and passed it through Google translate:

Within a day the steering gear was sealed again.

That's better!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

That an interesting article but there's a key bit of translation there that caught me eye as it's fairly important 😃

Within a day, the steering gear was leaking again.

So I picked-up the sentence Innerhalb eines Tages war das Lenkgetriebe wieder dicht and passed it through Google translate:

Within a day the steering gear was sealed again.

That's better!

Wonderful! Thank you, I didn´t see that. You are absolutely right.

So my recommendation is, just apply a small amount of breaking fluid to the PAS oil. There is a good chance to get it sealed for some time.

I might give that a go.

I replaced my steering box (Adwest) a few years ago, probably about 6 years, the 90 has probably done about 6000 miles in that time but it started leaking a couple of years ago, lack of use probably. 

On 6/15/2024 at 9:14 AM, Sigi_H said:

Wonderful! Thank you, I didn´t see that. You are absolutely right.

So my recommendation is, just apply a small amount of breaking fluid to the PAS oil. There is a good chance to get it sealed for some time.

I used the brake fluid trick on my PAS pump some years ago and it's worked well!

On 6/15/2024 at 1:13 AM, vulcan bomber said:

That's not leaking from the "normal" place. You have a good chance of fixing that.

I think so too - there is no play in that joint, so the casing should have no wear.  You just need a new o-ring.  Mark the end cap and casing for alignment before you undo it to make sure the shaft preload is the same when refitting.