Milky auto fluid and loss of drive

Mean Green

A friend has just bought a P38 and has developed a fairly major gearbox problem.

The auto fluid is milky and has been drained and refilled several times but remain milky.

In addition it loses all drive after only about 50 yards... it will go 50 yards forward, 50 yards back, 50 forward then screams like a banshee and has no drive.

After about 10 mins the same process can start again.

Any suggestions?

the engine coolant, engine oil, autobox oil and air-con condenser are all seperate coolant units at the front of the engine.

whatever way you look at it, something is seriously amiss though - talk to ashcrofts is the best suggestion.

In terms of draining and refilling, it doesn't get all the fluid out by simply opening up the drain plug, there is still a ton of fluid in the torque converter thingie which doesn't drain out. So if you water was in there, then it would all mis again and mess up the new fluid.

Geoff, it may be possible to get your pal back on the road if the springs and air lines are ok. You can manually run the compressor to fill the tank and manually switch the individual solenoids to fill up the springs. From there you can disconnect the EAS / disable it and carry on driving. But i suppose that depends on the fault in the first place.

To change all the fluid in the box put one of the oil cooler pipes in an empty bucket and the other in a full bucket of ATF with engine running. Which pipe in which bucket you might have to find by trial and error, but at leaast you have a 50:50 chance of getting it right :)

Geoff, it may be possible to get your pal back on the road if the springs and air lines are ok. You can manually run the compressor to fill the tank and manually switch the individual solenoids to fill up the springs. From there you can disconnect the EAS / disable it and carry on driving. But i suppose that depends on the fault in the first place.

I know - my classic has EAS, so I'm quite familiar with that operation :rolleyes:

I sent him instructions but it looks like his compressor may have packed up.