Are 'Crescent' tools any good?

freeagent

whilst walking around cost-co the other day, i spotted a huge set of 'Crescent' sockets and spanners for £60ish, it says they have a lifetime warranty, and are made in the USA, but are they any good...?

I'm not really in the market for a set, but its a lot of tools for £60...

They may have a lifetime warrenty but who will replace them, costco or the manufacturer. I purchased a set of tools from costco about 2 yrs ago again with a lifetime warrenty but upon reading the small print it wasn't a worldwide warrenty just in the states.

Just read the small print to make sure you get what think you are getting. If that makes sense.

• 1 year later...

These are still available in Costco, so thought I'd bring this thread back to life... I was in need of a good starter set as I kept loosing my old man's tools and thought I'd better get my own. I was very dubious about spending £60 on a big box, but knew Costco wouldn't sell carp so decided to give them a go. They have 3 ratchet sizes, a whole bunch of sockets (including deep ones) and come in most common metric and AF sizes, ranging from 4mm to 21mm. Verdict? Bloody brilliant! OK, I'm sure if you spend £200 on equivalent Teng tools you'd notice some difference, but they're very well made. The sockets seem well made and serviceable (to grease etc) and they don't slip even under heavy load... Go out and buy a set - it's £60 very well spent, even if they do just live in the back of your truck.

I'd second that.

I have a teng set and a full crescent set. I interchange for the imperial stuff on the crescent, most of it is wall drive.

I had 2 sets for training guys on rail point machines and never broke anything in 2years.

And costco dont usually quibble over guarantees.

considered the halfords pro range? almost all the DIY mechanics I know use them, and the big 150 piece set is £99 at the minute i think!

Either the Halfords Professional range or some of the Clarke stuff from Machine Mart has lifetime guarentee's. Only stuff I've had go wrong is ratchets slipping from Halfords, all replaced no quibble. Only got two rails of sockets from Machine Mart but I use them everyday for work and they're really good.

Both excellent prices especially compared to Snap-On etc, recently think Snap-On's quality has gone tit's up. :angry:

I have a set of the crescent ratchet spanners from costco, they are good quality and I would recommend. Costco have a really good no quibble returns service, I am currently on my 8th and 9th bosch silvertop batteries in my landy, I have destroyed them accidentally with my wiring skill or had to leave them ages (stupid exams) til they went totally flat, every time I took them back it was no fuss even without receipts,

Mike

FYI Crescent has been around a long time. Here the name is synonymous with adjustable spanners, Crescent wrench. And while that's all I've used of their brand, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any other of their brand tools.

My father always called an adjustable spanner a 'Crescent wrench'. I think he used them while working on Tomahawks in Egypt in WWII. The engine used to come with a full toolkit as the threads were UNF.

We used to have a Crescent mole grip, it finally died when being used to hold one side of a 20m sprayer boom open for the umteenth time (perents <_< ). Still have the bulk of it in good working order, but the one side of the jaw that was braised in went flying never to be seen again. Haven't seen a grip since thats made to the same standard, though I now have an adjustable jaw Facom grip which is very good in its own way.