Transmission brake damage question

Se7enUp

What damage could be caused if a well adjusted transmission brake is fully operated while a defender is travelling at 30 mph?

And what would the symptoms of this damage be?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the knocking/juddering I am now getting when pulling away and pulling up to a halt could be due to the brake test the MOT place did yesterday!

none, but go and check your UJ's handbrake off wheels chocked grab the prop and try to move it up/down near the UJs

2-3mm on the front transfer box flange itself is fine and of no concern.

the UJs may be worn out.

I've pulled the handbrake at those speeds on a few occasions with no issues whatsoever

What can happen? On ice or hard but wet short green grass, a rather good handbrake turn, on any other surface, you may end up with tarmac/roof interface issues or a loud bang :lol:

The transmission doesn't like it much though when I were young and foolish I used to do it occasionally in the old blue 90 and I never broke anything...

i would suggest the handbrake was adjusted (tightened) and it now catches (needs loosening off) is the drum warm after a short drive?

As you posted in front of me JST I'll second what you say.

mike FOAK

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

OK...The full story!

On Saturday I adjusted the handbrake travel from 6 clicks to 4 clicks.

On Sunday I drove around 20 miles with no problems

On Monday I drove 14 miles in stop start traffic (used the handbrake many times) with no problems.

On Tuesday I drove 7 miles (no problems) to the MOT centre.

I watched the MOT being carried out but then the tested needed to take the 90 up the road to test the brakes with his meter.

When he got back he parked the 90 in the carpark and went in to do the paperwork

It Passed, which going by the amount of work I've done on it over the past 3 months I was really pleased! :D

However on the way back to work I notices a clonking/knocking sound when I reversed, pulled away and slowed to a stop.

It only happened at slow speeds - over 30 mph and everything was normal.

The clonking/knocking was mostly fairly quiet but on 3 occasions it got VERY loud and shook the entire truck :o

I really thought something was/had let go in a BIG way!

The only thing I could think of was that during the brake test the tester may have tried the handbrake and possible damaged something.

I know that the handbook says "never operate the transmission brake when the vehicle is moving"

I also know that taking it back to the MOT centre would be a waste of time as they are not likely to admit to anything.

I'm really hoping its just the handbrake that has maybe tightened up or that a UJ has failed.

Yes I know. Been there but didn't buy the tee shirt.

Ten bob it's the handbrake set too neat. It took a dealer six months of telling who had the option of actually driving the Defender.

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can ccause trouble in an empty house !!!

Well, all those who said "Handbrake Adjustment" take a bow :D

I slackened off the handbrake this afternoon and had a really good look at all the U/J's, slip joints etc.

Everything underneath looks fine, with the exception of a really small bit of play in the rear U/J and some play I knew about in the diff flange (pinion bearing?)

I've been out for a drive and tried all gears, hi/lo and diff lock.

Everything sounds and feels normal :):):)

So, to celebrate, tomorrow I'm going to start my rubbing down of the paintwork ready for some nice satin NATO green paint :rolleyes:

Thanks all B)