Announcement

LR90

Well after what seems like several days of deliberations the mods have now violently agreed with each other that we should make some minor forum changes.

You will see Events and Greenlanes have been merged under a new heading 'Getting Out There' which it is hoped will also provide a home for other activities such as Expeditions.

The Africa forum has been extended to become the Middle East and Africa Forum and moved up the forum list to a more consistent position.

Lastly we have introduced a new 'Members Vehicles' forum. While the what do you drive thread is a great way for new members to introduce themselves many of our members find they have a lot more to share about their land rovers over the years. So the idea of this forum is that each member can start there own thread and just keep adding to it with mods, trips, or whatever takes their fancy. Bit like blogging really. So, if you are embarking on a restoration project, building a special or just want to share a diary of your land rover exploits here's the place to do it.

So the idea of this forum is that each member can start there own thread and just keep adding to it with mods, trips, or whatever takes their fancy. Bit like blogging really. So, if you are embarking on a restoration project, building a special or just want to share a diary of your land rover exploits here's the place to do it.

What I've just done on ORRP may be of interest, put the forum inside a portal that allows direct links to such things as blogs and image gallerys..

http://www.mkportal.it

can be used with a number of different forum engines

What I've just done on ORRP may be of interest, put the forum inside a portal that allows direct links to such things as blogs and image gallerys..

http://www.mkportal.it

can be used with a number of different forum engines

That's an idea. I've seen references to a portal in the boards config (not sure if its included or a partner product) but haven't looked any further.

Image galleries is idea we have discussed briefly but how are you finding the bandwidth usage? I'm hoping to let things settle here first so I can get a handle on what we are using now before looking at hosting images but you've already been there/done that so any hits/tips/clues would be welcome.

Sort it out you lot, has Mr Green taught you nothing? What's all this friendly co-operation and helpfulness between admin and forumers? And between other forums too!

This simply won't do, I'm going to write a letter to LRE to complain that the standards they set have been allowed to slip...

Sort it out you lot, has Mr Green taught you nothing? What's all this friendly co-operation and helpfulness between admin and forumers? And between other forums too!

This simply won't do, I'm going to write a letter to LRE to complain that the standards they set have been allowed to slip...

Careful...we'll ban you :angry:

OK just checked a few figures

Septembers bandwidth useage was approx 22gb I've got 200gb limit so no problem there

disk space used

my forum folder total takes up 360 mb the database for the forum is 122mb

thats with 219922 posts in there...

monthly page views are around 700,000

I've also got a video folder for donating members thats about 1.92 gb

I've only allowed gallerys and access to high bandwidth areas to people who've donated

My portal still needs a bit of tweaking but once working how I want will allow better access to extra features..

OK just checked a few figures

Septembers bandwidth useage was approx 22gb I've got 200gb limit so no problem there

disk space used

my forum folder total takes up 360 mb the database for the forum is 122mb

thats with 219922 posts in there...

monthly page views are around 700,000

I've also got a video folder for donating members thats about 1.92 gb

I've only allowed gallerys and access to high bandwidth areas to people who've donated

My portal still needs a bit of tweaking but once working how I want will allow better access to extra features..

Hey, thanks for that. We're only just settling ino our new server so don't really have much history to go on yet but indications are we are using something like 10-15GB per month. Comfortably within our current limit which was a balance of likely requirement and prudent spending of our members money.

Posts, well we're adding those ;) so disk space is not an issue. Re page views probably running at 200,000 per month but again I'll have a better handle on that at the end of a full month.

We would like if possible to continue the community spirit of making features available to all irrespective of what they are able to donate. Bit like Landy owners helping each other out. Currently we have very low recurring costs so these are easily met but its notable that both ORRP and P4x4 have subscription only features so it may in the end prove unavoidable.

We would like if possible to continue the community spirit of making features available to all irrespective of what they are able to donate. Bit like Landy owners helping each other out. Currently we have very low recurring costs so these are easily met but its notable that both ORRP and P4x4 have subscription only features so it may in the end prove unavoidable.

Trev

Try and keep the whole thing open - there are other ways of raising funds [just sticking a link to Amazon can give you 7.5% of referral values].

'Violently agreeing with each other' is a concept we need a little more of...keep it up!

Neil