Cover from the RAC

GBMUD

Just bought RAC personal breakdown cover. It seems that they charge an extra £10 for vans and pick-ups (including car derived vans) - obviously my Defender is a hard top and so must be a van under the RAC guidelines? Apparently not. I argued that a Landrover Defender is a dual purpose vehicle and not a van and the salesman immediately gave in and said that it is no problem. :)

Anyone else had any experience of this clause with the RAC?

Chris

Going back a lot of people with hard tops / truck cabs have had the same discussion with operators of toll booths, car parks etc. :rolleyes: a mate even had a 110 that was classified as a "private HGV" :huh: at the end of the day their reason for charging extra on a commercial is more to do with the likely abuse/mileage it would see - and yours isn't being used as a commercial vehicle even if it may be classified as one. No different to having an old van to hack about in privately - it may be a commercial vehicle but the usage is private.

You could tell them it was a CSW but you removed the windows and replaced with HT sides, that'll confoose them :lol:

Although my insurer classes my 110 as a van (mind it does have commecial insurance :rolleyes: ), the AA didn't seem to care what the vehicle was so long as it was not over 3500kg and no wider than 7ft 6in (2.3m); didn't seem to care that my cargo was an explosive hazard either (no I'm not Al-Qaeda). :ph34r:

I've binned the AA now as they wanted £91 for this years membership :angry:, I've now found the same level of cover for £32, bargin. ;)

If you're looking for cheap recovery check this out.

HMMM!!!! yesterday i went through Dartford tunnel and it cost £1.80 ( van), 3 hours later came back over the bridge, gave the woman £1.80, OI!! she cried as i waited to race away, 'ere you r and she gave me back 80p, and as I drove away the red led writing on the side of the barrier said thankyou INVALID £1.00. I nearly stopped and demanded she take the 80p back again!!

I digress now I've been having lucious wanten thoughts (slap.slap) oh! so I looked up SANTANA PS10, well apparently "unlike land rover these are classed as LCV so you can reclaim ALL of your vat. "now I dont pay vat (YET!) but why is this. Buy the one I'd have is the military version, with winch, axle diff lox, matt green paint!!

HMMM!!!! yesterday i went through Dartford tunnel and it cost £1.80 ( van), 3 hours later came back over the bridge, gave the woman £1.80, OI!! she cried as i waited to race away, 'ere you r and she gave me back 80p, and as I drove away the red led writing on the side of the barrier said thankyou INVALID £1.00. I nearly stopped and demanded she take the 80p back again!!

I digress now I've been having lucious wanten thoughts (slap.slap) oh! so I looked up SANTANA PS10, well apparently "unlike land rover these are classed as LCV so you can reclaim ALL of your vat. "now I dont pay vat (YET!) but why is this. Buy the one I'd have is the military version, with winch, axle diff lox, matt green paint!!

Hi

Went over the Severn Bridge to Wales the other day.Got ready to argue my 90 hardtop was NOT a van and the guy in the booth said no problem, all landies get charged as a car.

Hi

Went over the Severn Bridge to Wales the other day.Got ready to argue my 90 hardtop was NOT a van and the guy in the booth said no problem, all landies get charged as a car.

Must admit Ive never had a problem with a land rover on the 2nd Severn Crossing regarding toll charges , they always charge as a car , Ironic really when I had to pay nearly a tenner for a corsavan to cross .

That bridge must be paid for by now.

The AA for me , Will recover me or any member of imediate family , in any vehicle up to 3500kgs , And dont cost me a bean .

I looked at a variety of cover options from a number of different providers. Trouble is, we have 5 vehicles in the household at present and need cpver for all of them. This means that personal cover is a requirement for Sandbag and I. RAC did it for £103 for 15 months cover.

I wanted to avoid the AA this time round as I had them out 3 times last year and I worried that they might not see the funny side of coming out much more if needed. :)

All of the others seem to be vehicle specific or very expensive for personal cover. :(

I have long been surprised (and delighted) at the Severn Bridge charging car rates for the 90HT; and not charging extra for the trailer either - my caravan is twice as long as the 90! I find that on the Dartford bridge/tunnel the auto-toll makes no argument about vehicle type. :)

Chris