I just drove one!!!!

Guest deleted

i believe there will be a Def event to push for sales......

in Nov.................................

In Belgium we get to drive the new Defender on the official public release next weekend, really looking forward to it!

Anyone who tries one make sure you check out the anti-stall.

Low range first gear on tickover. Squeeze the brake, keep squeezing, squeeze harder, lift arse out of seat and push brake pedal even harder! Defender stops, engine no stall. Awesome party trick!

Anyone who tries one make sure you check out the anti-stall.

Low range first gear on tickover. Squeeze the brake, keep squeezing, squeeze harder, lift arse out of seat and push brake pedal even harder! Defender stops, engine no stall. Awesome party trick!

Is it that good? The Td5 was supposed to have anti-stall and it was about as effective as firing a spud gun at an aircraft carrier :rolleyes:

No sign of any for this part of the world yet :(

i quite like the td5 anti-stall, it does have its limitations though (like touching the throttle over rides it) plus if its a steep bank it wont work! but that aisde i like it, no reving to pull away in 1st ideal.

i believe the new 07 def has anti-stall that when you select 1st gear it increases revs upto 1100rpm straight away, hence the comments above.

i quite like the td5 anti-stall, it does have its limitations though (like touching the throttle over rides it) plus if its a steep bank it wont work! but that aisde i like it, no reving to pull away in 1st ideal.

But my Tdi can pull away with no throttle in 1st quite happily and it doesn't stall as soon as you touch the throttle :lol:

The Td5 can do some quite steep hill starts with no throttle but you have to be sooo careful letting the clutch out that I always thought it was a bit of a waste of time. Give me a Tdi off road (and around town) any day - the only place the Td5 is better is in high speed cruising IMHO

Drove one at Eastnor today for the dealer launch! my opinons are:-

The new anti-stall is brilliant, low second wheels hitting vertical climbs it does not stall well beyond where my Td5/V8 would stall at tickover. Climbs hills in low third that the Td5 wouldn't. Anti stall is not overided by touching the throttle like the Td5.

In low first with the diff locked in the experience gravel car park; they started the vehicle from the passenger seat (ie no throttle) with it attached to the experience artic lorry (12 ton) by kenetic rope - it pulled it at tick over - they then hit the brakes in the lorry the defender stopped but kept running just spinning the wheels on the spot. Then with the brakes released off it went again. Believe me the anti stall is good.

It is 9 decibels quieter - a noticable difference - normal coversation at 75mph and this was in a 110 van - helpded by 6th being 38% higer than outgoing Td5. It does not feel ultimately that much faster but does everything with less drama.

Because the engine and gearbox are lighter all the spring rates are changed - seems to give a better ride on and off road - less pitching.

First gear is about 30% lower. In low first there is a feature called "Idle Jack" which lifts the engine revs from 800rpm to about 1100rpm as otherwise too much risk of locking wheels. The descent speed can now be much lower if required.

The heater works very well as does the aircon.

Seats front and rear are much more comfortable.

Turning circle is about a metre less on the 110 and the steering is more precise.

Doors and bonnet are all steel, gives a better seal and sound proofing allegedly due to less flex.

The new Keswick Green is a very nice colour and being flat does not require the paint upgrade.

Turning circle is about a metre less on the 110 and the steering is more precise.

How is the turning circle reduced? The chassis width (radius arms) and rim offset is unchanged, isn't it?

It's still rubbish!

:):):):)

Problem I've found with anti stall is on a steep incline if you try to pull away in 2nd low (with enough revs) it instantly dies on you and no matter what you can't seem to give it enough revs to let it get going. Put it in 1st low though and it's fine straight away.

One thing I do like about anti-stall is that for winch assisting you can put it in 1st low and leave it there with no clutch slipping required.

Cheers

Steve

I did not try the test Kevin suggests - but I will if I get another go in a couple of weeks time! I did try out the anti-stall and was VERY impressed! You can let the clutch up pretty smartly in first high with no throttle and it just gets on with it. :)

Chris

Well just got back from the Eastnor launch of the def 07 as a customer for the day, and bloody impressed. anti stall is very good, 2nd gear, low, steep enough to lift a wheel and it gets on with it off road with no throttle use.

you get given a set of keys and then set off in a convoy for the offroad section (2hrs total driving, between who ever you went up with - ie they dont cram you into vehicle's with people you dont know) alsono instructor in with you. for the on road you get 1 hour (between 2drivers typically) with a route and sat nav (botched in).

It pulls very well low down, in high and low but loses it when you get to bhp stage rather than using the Nm ability. it revs at 2500ropm at 70mph on 205 tyres (1.2 t box) which in fact is higher than my td5 with an overdrive but i put that down to the small tyres.

Interesting enough you use XS or county specs off road with alloys and General TR tyres but basic models on road with 205 tyres. i guess TC and greater clearance from alloy tyres size decide the better spec were used for that demo whilst smaller tyres make for quicker acceleration so better for on road!

1st Low (265/75s)is bloody low - same as underdrive 2nd in my truck cab i reckon with 36" tyres on - its slow, much lower than current td5.

you do get through the gears quickly on road though, i think 1st would rarely be used in normal driving and torque is sooo good you end up changing up very quickly. it will pull 6th at 30mph - just.

not sure about the position of the fuel heater though, inside chassis leg (photo below)

underside that apart looks pretty much the same as td5 - same cheese crossmember

lots of squeaks from the rear seats in the XS we had, plus HEAVAC system fan made a horrible 'catching the edge of something noise'

TC, antistall, torque and interior i thought were all great - i would def have one.

post-53-1178138166_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138179_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138199_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138251_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138462_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138471_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138482_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138622_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138636_thumb.jpg

post-53-1178138650_thumb.jpg

According to LR tech specs I have in front of me, there is no difference whatsoever between old and new turning circle figures. It's still rubbish!

Admittedly on the launch I drove a 110 CSW with steels compared to my own Td5 110 XS with alloys, which was definately a tighter turning circle. I was told, by 1 of the Land Rover trainers that the specs of the ball joints, steering box, radius arms have been changed.

And JST that Garmin GPS was awful don't you think?

I now have had our 90 XS demo for 2 days in place of my previous Td5 90 XS demo; and haven't paid much attention to turning circle as the 90 far outdoes the 110 by a mile. What I have noticed is the turn in is much shaper and cornering speed is higher due to less understeer. First gear for on the road when not towing is a too low; pulling of in 2nd seem like a good plan, should be even easier as the engine loosens up. It will take a week or so to work out any other differences.

Regards

Mark

yes, I tried one too - AND I am just about to order a 90 hardtop with all the extras boxes ticked........ [my third new 90 since 1999]

What did I like?:-

-new engine and gearbox and dash [of course]

-and I always loathed the useless flap vents below the screen in any case

What was I disappointed about?:-

-the same Austin Metro coloum stalks with same steering wheel

-the dammed seat-belt still gets caught in the door-catch [grrrrrrrrr]

-why did they put the rear speakers in the lower corners, behind the rear seats - they should be where I put mine, in the corner, up above the rear windows

-still no delay wipe/programmed wash to the rear screen [so I will just have to modify that omission again, I guess]

What did I notice?:-

-good "real-world" driveability - certainly over the standard factory TD5 - although less of an advance over my current TD5 which has overdrive and full sound-deadening

-as stated by everyone here before, truly extraordinary advances in off-road performance and throttle control

-all "freestyle" wheel options now have the anti-rollbars fitted front and rear.

-the cairns blue does indeed look dead cool

What puzzled me?:-

-the XS version seems to have lost its silver finish to the centre console - as in TD5 version, and as in the earlier brochures and taster pictures.

-90's with those forward rear seats have lower, re-profiled wheelboxes for the seats to sit on, but headroom is still VERY tight there - its a jolly neat and easy seat operation though....

-no brochures were freely given out... however, I did beg one off a kindly launch-team member .. disappointed to find it does not contain a spec/options sheet

The early press pics were a rush-job (the car was actually a Td5!) prompted by the infamous camera-phone leaked interior shot so there's a few things that were on those pics that never made it into production. The silver dash has gone and the rear Defender badge is now a sticker rather than the raised style of lettering to match the bonnet lettering.

kev

"........The early press pics were a rush-job (the car was actually a Td5!) prompted by the infamous camera-phone leaked interior shot so there's a few things that were on those pics that never made it into production. The silver dash has gone and the rear Defender badge is now a sticker rather than the raised style of lettering to match the bonnet lettering............."

Oh right, thanks for that - so the early brochures [with those pictures] will become valuable eh? hee-hee

Can you confirm that the steering and suspension is tweaked in the '07 ??

regards PT