Iceland anyone?

VERY OLD DISCO

Anyone been? Any information? Who does the tours?

Own 4x4?

Any info is very welcome, I want to go next year (if I can afford it) and I cant find much by the usual search engines.

Thanks Geoff

I've friends who went, with a mixture of hired and own vehicles, but they were taking a group of cadets so the air force flew them over. Makes things a little easier...

Sounded like their main roads equal some of our better green laning :)

There are currently no off-road tour operators going to Iceland...yet. If anyone is seriously interested in a trip to Iceland in 2006 drop me a PM. I should shortly be in a position to offer you something of interest.

Iceland is fantastic off-road country and probably my favourite destination in the world. Imagine having the Lake District or the Highlands of Scotlands all to yourself then imagine every road is a dirt track, there are no pay and display car-parks, no people, no grass, no trees, no animals and no bridges! There is only one good tarmac road in Iceland. This is the countries ring road that travels round the coastline and one of the finest driving roads in the world. Smooth roads, no traffic and views to die for. Anyone who saw Top Gear a couple of months will know what i'm talking about.

The first thing that puts many people off going to Iceland is the cost of getting there. There is only one ferry company in Europe (Smyril Line) sailing to Iceland which means they can charge what they want. For the full return trip from Aberdeen-Shetland-Iceland-return with cabins on each leg of the sailing you're not going to see much change (if any!) from £1500. You could try shipping in a container from Immingham but one person i know who did this told me what promised to be a much cheaper option turned into a damned expensive way of doing it, not to mention a paperwork nightmare. To soften the blow of the expense of getting there, the ferry has more of a cruise ship feel about it and IMHO, worth it just for the sight of the coolest car-deck in the world packed with 4x4's to die for.

The ferry goes in and out of Iceland once a week on a Weds restricting stays in the country to blocks of seven days at a time. The total sailing time from Aberdeen takes approx three days with one day of that spent in the Shetlands. The return leg is the same which effectively adds one week onto however long you choose to stay in Iceland.

Fuel used to be much cheaper than the UK but this summer they've altered the way they calculate road tax so that it's now about the same price as the UK.

Because snow and ice and high river levels cut off the 'Interior' for most of the year, the only time the you want to go to Iceland is between June and Sept. For the midnight sun go in either June or July. The weather during summer in Iceland is similar to the UK.

There are lots of camp sites, all clean and cheap, however, when travelling through the Interior there are more than enough opportunites for wild camping providing you don't mind digging a hole for a toilet.

Forget about driving on Glaciers. You will get stuck and probably die! Remember this is a country where 35in Simex are what you put on Supermarket trolleys.

If you want a short taster of Iceland there are loads of companies offering 'Super-Jeep' tours into the Interior all year round. Almost all of them use big Toyota's and Nissans, however of more interest to people reading this will be the only company in Iceland using exclusively Land Rovers: Iceland Rovers. (www.icelandrovers.is) They are part owned by the guy whose workshop builds all of the BIG Land Rovers in Iceland.

Getting there for a short break is cheaper than you think. I've just booked a return ticket for November for £102 including taxes. Budget airline Iceland Express fly out off Stansted. Icelandair fly out of Heathrow and Glasgow with a Manchester service due in summer next year. Car hire is expensive. Reckon on paying £150 a day for a Shogun.

Anyone needs to know anything more drop me a PM.

Oh I almost forgot. The women aren't bad looking too....

Kev

Kev,

Will soon be sending you a PM. I'm in the planning stage for going to Iceland next year. Costs are starting to shoot through the roof for taking my LR up from blighty. At the moment we are considering flying there and hooking up with my brother who lives in Shetland and will travel over with his 110. Despite this I'm interested in hearing about what your planning.

Dave

I've been to Iceland, Rosey took me on a trip for my Birthday last year. We went with a charter flight from Bristol Airport to Iceland. Everyone else was going on a coach tour of Iceland, they were very jealous when they found out what we were touring in! We were met at the airport in Iceland by Iceland Rovers http://www.icelandrovers.is/ They took us out on a day trip, but they have longer excursions. It was a fantastic day, but expensive. The cost of living in Iceland is higher than in the UK as nearly everything has to be imported. Lunch for three of us (salad, soup, and a roll) worked out to be 36quid! It was a very nice lunch though!

Fantastic place to visit, would love to go again. Pictures and a couple of short video clips of our trip can be found here:-

http://www.dalesworld.com/gallery/view_alb...bumName=iceland