TD bulkhead

I know the topic has been covered loads of times before, and i have looked at the options. in addition i have also repaired and replaced bulkheads so know some of whats involved.

But if you were to do it again (having already done one) and needed abulkhead for an '88 90 TD, would you

1. get a second hand one, fix it and repaint then fit. - seems alot of work and 2nd hand seem to be quite ££££

2. buy a td5 one (£167? new) and adapt to fit

3. repair both top quarters and bottoms plus footwells?

I suppose the most convenient would be to buy another and then swap them over at a time that suits you - the truck would be off the road for a minimal amount of time, and you would have the old one as a spare/to sell.

I rebuilt the one on catflap - both footwells,complete door pillars, sand blast and paint. A full restoration can be as good as new if you take your time and do it properly.

I would say that if the corners have gone, then you are putting off the inevitable - this type of corrosion tends to come back nearby to where you repaired it. The inside of the top of the bulkhead is quite complex - there's a support frame inside, so if the corrosion is deep and extensive, then it's a lot of work to fix.

I don't know about a TD5 bulkhead - nice and cheap though.

Les

I suppose the most convenient would be to buy another and then swap them over at a time that suits you - the truck would be off the road for a minimal amount of time, and you would have the old one as a spare/to sell.

I rebuilt the one on catflap - both footwells,complete door pillars, sand blast and paint. A full restoration can be as good as new if you take your time and do it properly.

I would say that if the corners have gone, then you are putting off the inevitable - this type of corrosion tends to come back nearby to where you repaired it. The inside of the top of the bulkhead is quite complex - there's a support frame inside, so if the corrosion is deep and extensive, then it's a lot of work to fix.

I don't know about a TD5 bulkhead - nice and cheap though.

Les

where are they that cheap?

goimg to have my TD bulkhead repaired soon, sections of footwells & top corners are not in the best of health, a mate is doing the work for me & has done these before on other 90/110's, so guess whose going to be busy over the 2nd May bank holiday.

I have done this job twice now and went for the new option both times.

At least with a new one you know you are starting with a good unit which when correctly rust-proofed should last at least 20-years whereas with a S/H you can't tell what it is like internally. The box section (the panel between the footwells and along the flaps) rots from the inside out and you can never get to all the rust, add to this the the cost of door pillars, corner sections and footwells plus all the welding and it isn't even a question to my mind.

Guest WALFY
Paul - Brearmach from what i heard - unless someone on here it telling little porkies about what they paid for it, which i doubt, but you never know!

James

I paid what I told you. NO porkies here. I don't know what discount you get there, not sure what I get to be honest.

"2. Buy a td5 one (£167? new) and adapt to fit."

Haven't seen them at that price for a year or two but I am sure they can still be picked up for that. I paid £100 for mine but that was when there was a glut of them (300TDi or TD5, you just took your pick), nowadays the price you tend to see them advertised for and at the shows is between £200-£250 (only TD5 now).