LT95 X-Brake (for 101's etc)

simonr

I've been working on a version of the X-Brake for LT95 boxes for a while now, but it has taken a leap forwards in the last couple of days with some help from FridgeFreezer.

I need to decide on the orientation of the caliper - but in order to do that, need to make sure there is nothing it's going to collide with.

Could I twist your respective arms for photos of the back of LT95 transfer boxes in vehicles so I can see where the bodywork sits?

101, Rangey and early 90/110 - any and all would be good!

Thanks in advance,

Si

A friend has a 101 up in Andover in bits at present, if as such would possibly be of use? rolling chassis at present and we are planning to be working on it over May bank holiday weekend

It may be - thanks for the offer.

I know it fits on the gearbox, just need to see if it fits within the bodywork. See if you can take a photo when the body is back on?

Cheers,

Si

Our 101

Brilliant! That's just what I was hoping for!

Don't suppose you have a picture of the linkages on the side of the box, perhaps from a manual or something? I have nothing that covers 101's.

I'd like to be able to supply a suitable cable adapter as well. On the RR version, I have a bracket which bolts to the side of the box (where the bell-crank attaches) and the cable goes straight into the lever. I'm wondering if the end of the cable could be adapted to attach to the long push-rod from the original lever.

Si

• 2 weeks later...
To be honest i dont understand why landrover didnt jsut use a cable all the way back :blink:

Will you be needing testers ? :D

I was thinking the same looking at the photos!

Yup, I need a tester - pm me!

For the Range Rover, I have had a bracket cut which will adapt the original lever to cable. For the 101, what I reckon on is keep the original lever, cable and long rod then make a bracket which attaches to the same holes as the bell crank at the end of the long rod to adapt to a 200 tdi cable at the caliper end.

What would be useful to know is with the lever released, where does the centre of the hole in the clevis end up longitudinally with respect to something recognisable like the ends of the speedo housing mounting bolt heads.

Brilliant photos by the way. Yesterday I was looking in a 101 parts book and service manual (belonging to Paul Wightman) and we really couldn't make head nor tail of it! So, thanks very much - I see the light!

Si

are you interested in a Stage 1 V8?

i can get some piccies of mine, or you can come have a look at the next event you are at down this way.

I'd forgotten about Stage 1's - don't see many of them these days.

Yup a photo of how the lever attaches to the bell-crank would be very useful!

Cheers,

Si

Sorry have been a bit busy and probably wont be able to get round to the job at hand until next week end.

Oh just something to add, that crappy little cable from the lever to the rod is £84 (595461) and very hard to come by. It might be an advantage if its irradicated,

but obviously not if its going to make it pain to source a 6ft cable replacment. i just thought it was worth you knowing.

Chris

Sorry have been a bit busy and probably wont be able to get round to the job at hand until next week end.

Oh just something to add, that crappy little cable from the lever to the rod is £84 (595461) and very hard to come by. It might be an advantage if its irradicated,

but obviously not if its going to make it pain to source a 6ft cable replacment. i just thought it was worth you knowing.

Chris

Just caught up this with after moving to Ireland and finally getting Broadband. Will the conversion take into account overdrives? Many owners, myself included have them fitted can supply photo if needed. Will definitely consider one, having fitted one to my 110.

Meccano, that crappy little cable on a RHD can be replaced with a bit of M6 studded bar and a couple of clevis forks.

I'd forgotten about Stage 1's - don't see many of them these days.

Yup a photo of how the lever attaches to the bell-crank would be very useful!

Cheers,

Si

Si, if you want to go and have a nose around a 101 I've got a friend who's got one in Godalming. He's got a decent workshop too so you'd be able to pop it up on a 4 post lift and get measurements without crawling around on the floor.

Si, if you want to go and have a nose around a 101 I've got a friend who's got one in Godalming. He's got a decent workshop too so you'd be able to pop it up on a 4 post lift and get measurements without crawling around on the floor.

You dont crawl around on the floor with 101's im jsut getting the measurements now

Thanks - that will help a lot!

I'd considered overdrives - just haven't found one!

A photo looking from directly behind the overdrive would be useful. Then I'll see how much the bracket needs to be rotated to miss it.

The brackets I've had cut are vertical - and look as if it might just clear an OD, but it depends on its radius of course.

Getting cables made to order is possible, but expensive. For another one I'm looking at, they come in at £18 + to me based on multiples of 100. That's for a fairly short cable too!

Cheers,

Si

• 1 month later...

How thick are the cables? One of my other toy's is a hillman imp. There are accelerator cables and a choke cable that go from front to back. The accelerator one is a normal multi strand one but the choke cable is a single strand one. Can't remember the prices but a lot cheaper than £80! :) I can find out details if they are suitable. Also for some of the imps we use motorbike cables - most good motorbike garages can make up custom length cables.

HTH

Ed

Have just realised the incredibly obvious! :unsure: The hillman imps have two long handbrake cables going front to back! :D I can measure them up if they might be of use. One end has the normal fork with hole in it and the other end is a long threaded section (will double check this bit). The really good news is that they are £6.50 plus postage (might need to add vat as well) from speedy spares. Not sure if that is each or for both - either way cheap! :D

HTH

Ed