Warranty

GBMUD

If one were to go out and buy a Landrover (I am thinking of a Defender but I guess it applies to any model) with some/all the warranty remaining, what is covered - and more importantly, how might one void the warranty?

If, for example, I bought a 6 month old 110, the remaining 2y6m of warranty would transfer to me with the car, correct? What if I changed the tyre make/pattern - or the tyre size, fitting 255/85BFGs and 8-spokes? Would the half-shafts/diff still be covered? What about if I were to fit non-standard (non-LR) springs/shocks? I understand the LR will not warranty other peoples parts not fitted by them, but might/would they argue a knock-on effect, for example larger tyres damaging axles? I guess adding diff guards would be OK as would "bolt-on" accessories on the bodywork...

Is a leaking oil seal covered? A worn (contaminated?) wheel bearing? ...or would those be regarded as service items? What about bushes, ball joints etc.?

The reason I ask is that if I were to buy a newer Landrover I would justify some of the expense by not having to spend so much money on maintaining my older Defender due to LR picking up the tab for some things. Then there is servicing, is the stealer likely to be more understanding on warranty issues if he services the car rather than me taking it to an independent.

Anyone got any experience? I know a few on here own/have owned modified newer LRs.

Chris

I think a lot of "how good" the warranty is goes with "how good" your dealer is!

My Dad has a 2nd hand TD5 Discovery. It's had a couple of small problems. Condensation in the light lens necessitated 3 trips back, one for when it got scratched in their yard (Brother in law's L200 tailgate got wrecked int the Mitsi garage yard!!) while fixing the light.

Overall the dealer has been excellent.

The car is now due a 48000 (expensive) mile service and near 1st MOT. Dealer said can we let the service slip a little, do the MOT and fix any issues before the warranty expires (including squealing clutch bearing) at the same time.

Now that makes the warranty sound pretty good but I tink a lot of it is good service from the dealer.

How will the dealer know you have bigger wheels and tyres? The only time they see it it will be on standard equipment, right :ph34r:;)

Guest diesel_jim
If one were to go out and buy a Landrover (I am thinking of a Defender but I guess it applies to any model) with some/all the warranty remaining, what is covered - and more importantly, how might one void the warranty?

Hmmm... off the top of my head:

starting the engine

opening a door

even thinking about actually driving it.

leaving it where rain might land in the same county. :lol::lol:

seriously though, from my experience with LR and Kia (at work), they wriggle out of anything they can.

when i had my (new then) 200Tdi 90, i had a lot of problems with it (admitadly i used to rant the b@llocks off of it!) but i got told by my dealers, than a statement had come down from the customer services dept at Lode Lane saying "this owner regularly drives this vehicle off road, so we're not paying for the rear diff" (a diff had blown)

can you believe it?

and my Td5, the bodywork is terrible, with the corrosion blisters all over it, LR arn't interested. eventhough it had a 6 year bodywork warranty, because "i didn't get it servied at a LR dealership".

eventhough you can get the book legally stamped by a non franchised dealer, the bodywork had to be inspected by a LR place... why? god knows.

and how changing the oil in a nice clean tiled sweet smelling franchised workshop would help protect the bodywork, is anyones guess.

maybe they wash it in Nivea cream?

Guest diesel_jim
If, for example, I bought a 6 month old 110, the remaining 2y6m of warranty would transfer to me with the car, correct? What if I changed the tyre make/pattern - or the tyre size, fitting 255/85BFGs and 8-spokes? Would the half-shafts/diff still be covered? What about if I were to fit non-standard (non-LR) springs/shocks? I understand the LR will not warranty other peoples parts not fitted by them, but might/would they argue a knock-on effect, for example larger tyres damaging axles? I guess adding diff guards would be OK as would "bolt-on" accessories on the bodywork...

not sure about 255/85's, but special vehicles fit 265/75's on 8 spokes to the electricity board vehicles (there's one up the road from me), and the cherry picker ones have 8 spokes, so you could maybe argue that.

non standard springs arn't really likely to cause a problem with much else, maybe suspension bushes, but you could always "swap back" the old springs, get it covered in mud (to make them blend in) and take it back saying "it wallows all over the place"

I can say that a lot of it depends on the dealership and my local dealer (ahem) takes a reasonably flexible attitude and looks at things like that on a case by case basis but is largely sympathetic to anything that has obviously failed before its time was due and not due to abuse. It helps that they (ahem) know most of the drivers and can therefore identify the sensible drivers from the idiots.

The main thing I will say is that if you buy a new one, get the wheel bearings greased properly either on the PDI or on the first service. If you plan to keep it, it will save you a wealth of grief at a later date. Do it new so everything is easy to get off.

Warranty is transferable between owners but I will say that if you get into an argument about something or if something goes pop just out of warranty, being the original owner and thus the one that wrote a large cheque out to Lode Lane is worth a fair bit as ammunition ;) and it is also fair to say that if the dealer has been servicing the vehicle then like any business relationship it works both ways. A customer who starts off with the attitude of "I am taking my money elsewhere for servicing because you lot are a bunch of t*ssers who rip everybody off but I will bring it back when something breaks and I want it fixed free FOC or else" is unlikely to be at the top of anybody's priority list - human nature being what it is. A lot of "fair wear and tear" is based on the judgement of the individual looking at it.

Don't buy a late Tdi or early Td5 Defender (1998/99) as many of them have absolutely sh*** corrosion proofing. Post 2002 are the best in this respect.

265/75R16 used to be a factory size a few years ago on 90s so should be no problems there though strictly speaking the type approval etc of a vehicle only applies to the exact wheels and tyres fitted in the factory, but that is a can of worms you don't want to open, I did once and I still find the odd worm under the desk :)

Engine power tweaks are an instant warranty killer too BTW.

As said it can really depend on the dealer.

Mine have been great. Only thing they needed to do was a new front diff at about 38,000 miles.

They told me it was on the way out at the service, ordered the part and did it the following week.

They have always said to me that it's best to be honest if you modify so they know what they are dealing with.

To be fair to them I can't fault the dealer I use, other than the fact that all the courtesy cars are Freelanders and can't tow a big trailer.:)

Rich

Based on what people have said about the attitude of the dealer, the dealer I test drove the '07 Defender with on Monday is not likely to get my business then. The salesman could not seem to find the time to discuss selling me a car, I do not know what they are like the rest of the time. Without naming names; Diesel_Jim, what are they like up there generally?

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
Without naming names; Diesel_Jim, what are they like up there generally?

Chris

It depends on who you get and what day! the sales manager, Andy Drummond, is a top bloke, but hardly ever there (walk in showroom, head in a 10 o'clock position to the office in the far LH corner), he's a real LR nut, races s freelander and disco, so good to chat to.

Steve is also good (sits next to Andy's office)

my girlfriend rang them a few years back before she got her suzuki, with a view to getting a freelander, and they couldn't have been more un-helpful if they tried.

Needless to say, i placed an order yesterday for a shogun SWB 4 work commercial. 3.2 diesel.

available in a weeks time. under £20k, brand new '07 plate!

beat that LR! :rolleyes:

I saw a bloke called Matt and felt that I was in the way rather - he was clearly busy with something else and despite having pre-booked the car was still round the back. :( Not the sort of start that inspires confidence in the customer service.

Chris

I bought my last 110 as a 10 month old ex-demo from my local main dealer, so had the balance of a 3 year, 60,000 mile warranty with it. When I fitted a GKN overdrive they said whilst that would not be covered it wouldn't have an impact on any other claim.

I obviously had to pay for wear and tear service items such as brake pads and even a knackered clutch salve cylinder but they replaced stuff such as door seals (3 times), reversing light switch and so on without any complaint. There was a small amount of bubbling round the rear door lock (surprise) and they sorted that out at 34 months old.

The most surprising thing was when I had to get recovered to the dealer by the AA due to a shagged rear wheel bearing outside of the warranty period - 38 months and 70,000 miles. When I went to pick it up the Service Manager said he'd spoken to Land Rover as he felt it shouldn't have gone and they'd agreed to pick up the parts and labour costs! So I just drove away paying zilch - very impressed.

Never had a problem with Defender 50th, Range Rover and current Defender 110.

50th was modified and had propshaft and hub oil seals replaced under warranty

Range Rover was modified and had idler pulleys replaced at about 50,000 miles. If you recall, they went after laning on way to Slindon so it was recovered covered in mud ;)

Front CV gaiters replaced under warranty as they were ripped at 60,000 mile service

The front diff bearings were replaced at 59,000 miles. The RR was on 255/85 BFG's so far from standard.

Latest Defender 90 and 110 are both serviced at local Independent. The 110 not modified went in for 12,000 mile service and then over to dealer for warranty work. Swivel seal, faulty door seal down to incorrect fitting, faulty front door stay and loose door locks all replaced/fixed under warranty with no questions at all.

Modified 90 hasn't needed any warranty work so far. For this I'm keeping Engine and Transmission as standard while under warranty. Running 255/85 BFG's and modified suspension, but if I did have a problem with engine or transmission while under warranty I doubt I would have an issue with this.

Cheers

Steve

I have never had too much of a problem, Certainly down to the individual dealer, and probably more importantly, if you pass the "attitude test" going in shouting the odds etc, get you nowhere slowly !!!

The sport has being modified :o as you know,, and technically was bought "as seen"

When you drove it, the anti roll bar bushes were knocking like a good un, also needed a new viscous fan, etc,etc, all sorted under warranty !!

However, when i had a problem with the active cruise, (as it it was short of the radar unit) the local dealer could or would not sort it, so took a week or so with "positive attitude" talking to customers services,

They make the comment of " are you in contact with another dealer " so make of that what you will :rolleyes: they got the car booked in the very next day with another dealer, and was all sorted under warranty,, (£2k worth) Thanks you Customners Services

If i have had a problem under warranty with any of the 110's etc, even though i had serviced them, they have sorted it out

Guest MJG

When I ran a newer Discovery I always found the dealer to be Ok and the warranty support excellent - not that it actually needed much apart from a new starter motor on the day I collected it.

When wrigglng out of a warranty claim I think they have to be able to justify this by proving a link between any mod's and the fault. As said above an engine tweak with a performance chip would almost certainly ruin any claim for a blown engine - but not for bodywork/corrosion issues.

Likewise washing the car with paint thinners is likley to void a bodywork claim but wouldn't affect a claim for a dodgy gearbox - an extreme and daft example but you get the drift.

My last newish car's (Toyota) warranty did allow for independant serviceing but it did stipulate use of genuine Toyota parts, I think the LR warranty is the same (at least on the mechanical side of things)

HTH

I think the issue is the amount of commission the salesmen make on a defender compared to a Rangey makes them very un-bothered and a little surly when it comes to Defenders. You know my experience in Crawley - that made me go and by that stupid Jeep!

Harwoods attitude was completely different, presumably because they mostly sell to farmers - couldn't have been more helpful.

I would suggest finding a dealer who deals mostly with the farming community.

It seems strange when, if you went in to a Ford dealership for example to look at a 30k car - the salesmen would be over you like a rash thinking Christmas was on it's way!

Si

Is a leaking oil seal covered? A worn (contaminated?) wheel bearing? ...or would those be regarded as service items? What about bushes, ball joints etc.?

The reason I ask is that if I were to buy a newer Landrover I would justify some of the expense by not having to spend so much money on maintaining my older Defender due to LR picking up the tab for some things. Then there is servicing, is the stealer likely to be more understanding on warranty issues if he services the car rather than me taking it to an independent.

Anyone got any experience? I know a few on here own/have owned modified newer LRs.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Working as a salesman at a main dealer, I hope I can add a little light to the subject.

The warranty and therefore the money for any work done under warranty is supplied by Land Rover and not the individual dealers. Therefore the dealer will only do the work if it is sure it will get the money back. There in the dealer response can change from place to place and will depend on the efficiency of the service department.

Dealer do not want to turn away guranteed work and therefore will try and claim everything possible to increase workshop hours.

All the bits you have mentioned in your 3rd paragraph are covered by warranty but you are right in saying that mods and their consequential effects may not be covered. So if you chip the engine then reck it or something in the drive line then it may not be covered. Land Rover have recently expressed specifc concern to dealers about this.

If you put excessively large tyres on you may have a problem, but I don't think they would see 235/85 or 265/75 or 7.50 16s as being a problem as they are/were standard fitment.

If you drilled the bodywork and then had a corrision problem in that specific area then you would also have a potential problem.

If anyone wants to buy a Defender or any other LR from me, or has any other specific questions I will be more than happy to try and oblige and will try not to be a miserable sod!!

Cheers

Mark.

Thanks guys for your help and advice. :) I am not likely to be buying a new Defender - unless I get an offer I cannot refuse - but in 6 months time I really need to be looking for another Landrover to replace the current 90 and a 6 month old second-hand 110 would fit the bill rather well. When it is 6 months old someone else will have paid the first hit of depreciation and any design/reliability issue will be known about and/or repaired/rectified.

Thanks for the advice Mark, if I need to find a decent salesman I will be in touch. :)

Chris