Daan?

LR90

I have to take my tyres down to about 10 psi to get the 90 into the garage. i have about 1/4" to 1/2 clearance.

Once the 90's in, i blow the tyres up again, and i've got about 12" clearance, been thinking about getting a roller door.

garage.jpg

Picture showing the 90 and a full size sheet of ply....:)

I'd move the ply - you'd have alot more room to work!! :ph34r:

The 90, and the ply, were in the garage as i was making a new bit of dash, there was plenty of room once i'd cut into the ply and moved the big bit out of the way! it was £13 for a whole sheet, or £9 to have a half cut, no brainer as far as i was concerned. going to use the rest to panel out the hardtop.

It's worse than that at the moment, no 90, but a 50gal oil drum BBQ, and another drum + frame in-build.

The quick answer is: with 200 kg of concrete in the back. It touched, but it did go. However, recently I modified the roof: it now sports a 90 flat roof, which is lowered by 60 mm. Becasue its a flat roof, it is also 20 mm lower to begin with, bringing the height 80 mm lower. It fits beautifully to the garage now.

I already had this conversion before, it is on the last picture (with bonnet deep water), but I lost it when I rolled it. So on the picture with the garage, its with a standard s3 roof. Since I bought this house, I reinstated the lowered roof so it fits in the garage with no hassle.

I will make some more piccys of the lowered roof this weekend.

Previously, I used the rim solution, 2 old rims on the back axle was enough. It gave nice stripes on the conrete, but this was a hire house anyway -_- .

Daan is spelled with 2 a's by the way..

Daan

The quick answer is: with 200 kg of concrete in the back. It touched, but it did go. However, recently I modified the roof: it now sports a 90 flat roof, which is lowered by 60 mm. Becasue its a flat roof, it is also 20 mm lower to begin with, bringing the height 80 mm lower. It fits beautifully to the garage now.

I already had this conversion before, it is on the last picture (with bonnet deep water), but I lost it when I rolled it. So on the picture with the garage, its with a standard s3 roof. Since I bought this house, I reinstated the lowered roof so it fits in the garage with no hassle.

I will make some more piccys of the lowered roof this weekend.

Previously, I used the rim solution, 2 old rims on the back axle was enough. It gave nice stripes on the conrete, but this was a hire house anyway -_- .

Daan is spelled with 2 a's by the way..

Daan

Yes Daan I'd like to know more about your lowered roof as I want to do mine in the future. I originally built my internal cage 3 inches lower in readiness for this future modification.

Bill.

Right then, the lowered roof.

I did replace the standard s3 roof with a modified defender 90 flat roof. There are a couple of reasons for using a 90 roof:

First of all the absence of the ribs makes it 20 mm lower to begin with. Secondly, in order to have enough headroom, I effectively needed to move the slope of the roof forward, so that your head is exactly at the highest point. Since a 90 roof is 4 in longer, you achieve this by shortening the roof at the front by 4 inches. You need a flat roof without alpine windows, since the cut would go straight through these.

The conversion is pretty straightforward, but as usual, takes more time than you thought at the start. Basically cut off the gutter and remove the gutterlip from the gutter. Create a new lip on the bottom of the roof (just fold over the edges of the roof using a plank of wood and a plastic hammer). The area around the rear door is a bit harder to achieve, but can be done by cutting a bit of wood in the right shape and folding around this.

The front of the roof is created by folding the roof round to create a channel which bolts onto the s3 roof. Once this is done, you can rivet the old raingutter back on.

In the latest reincarnation I cut the raingutter lip away, and fitted some alu box section instead, these are my tree bars. I think they are pretty nicely integrated this way.

The endresult is 80 mm lower than standard, which is good for fitting in the garage. My main reason for doing it originally was clearance to trees in the jungle. It worked very well for this. I still have to add the external roll cage, which is waiting for a new tube to be bended(It got mashed when i rolled it).

To add more headclearance, I removed all the internal channels, especially around the drivers head, and to add strength back in, the roof is tied to the rollcage in a couple of places. The weight of the roof reduced by 10 kg (compared to the s3 roof). I also added lexan windows for weightsaving reasons.

I hope the pictures make things a bit more clear, I can imagine the above story doesnt make sence without them..

It clears the garage lovely!

Daan

DSC00516-copy.jpg

DSC00517-copy.jpg

DSC00536-copy.jpg

DSC00537-copy.jpg

DSC00539-copy.jpg

endresult:

DSC00690-copy.jpg

DSC00691-copy.jpg

DSC00696-copy.jpg