cheap & simple

swanny

hello whats the cheapest and simplest way to water proof my 78 v8 rrc put new leads on new dizzy cap going to put new coil in tupperware box in engine bay or could i move it inside if so what will i need.

thanks

swanny

hello whats the cheapest and simplest way to water proof my 78 v8 rrc put new leads on new dizzy cap going to put new coil in tupperware box in engine bay or could i move it inside if so what will i need.

I'm not convinced there's much to gain from moving the coil inside - as long as it's a decent coil with a good earth, king lead and plenty of something to keep the damp at bay (I used WD-40 - spray grease sounds like it might last longer though) it'll drive a decent spark. I think the dizzy was where my ignition lost the will to live :(

In the end I ditched the dizzy and fitted EDIS ignition, which has proved to be completely impervious to everything I've thrown at it, and drives a much more ferocious spark in the first place :)

I made a shield to go over the dizzy from a 5l water bottle, tie wrapped to the alternator bracket.

All leads covered with ignition sealer.

With much trepidation I followed a diseasel 90 through a ford up to headlight depth, and came out the otherside with at least 7 cylinders working! CAn't be sure there was ever eight in the first place.

theres a hole on the under side of a dizzy to let moisture out (also lets water in) u could run a breather to it

i'v seen them being fed into the snorkel so that any moisture is sucked out

theres a hole on the under side of a dizzy to let moisture out (also lets water in) u could run a breather to it

i'v seen them being fed into the snorkel so that any moisture is sucked out

I did that one mine - it made absolutely no difference whatsoever!

I took the entire dizzy out, dunked it in the kitchen sink under water and attached an air pump from my fish tank to a pipe that was drilled into the dizzy cap. I then sealed up with silicone all the holes in the entire thing (as evidenced by bubbles coming out underwater). I had two pipe into it - one going inside the cab (so drawing warm dry air) and one to vaccuum on the manifold. A plastic shroud made from an old lemondae bottle, new cap, leds etc etc etc and it was always absolutely hopeless in the wet!

I fitted EDIS in the end and it will now litterally run underwater! Plus if you manage to stall it in the water, it'll re-start first turn of the key too!!

EDIS is the way to go IMHO!

Jon

forgive me for been thick been in pub allready. but what is EDIS ??

EDIS is Ford's Electronic Distributorless Ignition System, as fitted to pretty much every petrol engined Ford through the nineties (and since, but no use to us as the ignition controller is integrated into the ECU). On a four pot you can get all the bits from your local scrappy, but there were never any eight cylinder Fords of the right era in this country so you need a US controller unit (easy enough to get). EDIS will run by itself, but at a fixed 10o advanced. On a Ford the ECU provides a timing signal to adjust the advance, but the hotwire system has no equivalent output - the normal solution is one of the Megasquirt family of aftermarket ECUs (relatively cheap and can be entirely DIY if you want) which can either replace the original ECU (what I've done) or be a installed alongside controlling just the ignition.

Newer Megasquirts are also capable of controlling the ignition coils directly, doing away with the EDIS controller. So far as I know the only person on here who's done this so far is Rog (istruggle2gate11).

thanks i have heared of megasquirt system be for. read some where they drilled hole in dizzy top then fitted pipe to it connected to a pump so it presurerised it to stop water from entring.

would it help if i did away with the standard fan and put an eletric fan in its place so i could turn it on & off when entring water ?. :rolleyes:

thanks i have heared of megasquirt system be for. read some where they drilled hole in dizzy top then fitted pipe to it connected to a pump so it presurerised it to stop water from entring.

would it help if i did away with the standard fan and put an eletric fan in its place so i could turn it on & off when entring water ?. :rolleyes:

Some people have done that and reported some success - I've not, so I can't really give you an informed opinion on how much it helps!

Newer Megasquirts are also capable of controlling the ignition coils directly, doing away with the EDIS controller. So far as I know the only person on here who's done this so far is Rog (istruggle2gate11).

Just to add, I'm running Megasquirt-n-Spark on mine too :)

First thing water hits is the crank pulley, and you cant do much about that!

I have just used a large plastic bottle over the dizzy and plenty of ignition sealer. Seems to work.

Interested in the motor cycle chain lub idea though as I have plenty of that!