deisel tune

Hi, after taking the landy to have a service for the log book & warranty, I had a talk with the mechanic who was very good as he'd fixed a loose A/C tensioner wheel that was rattling, and he has suggested having the injectors cleaned and a diesel tune up which includes re-setting the tappits and the turbo, he says that he can get a fair bit more performance out of the 300Tdi.

Has anyone any knowledge of this, ie is it worth the 300 odd dollars that he said it would take to do it and is the performance better or is it a case of the emperors new clothes!!! :ph34r:

IMO, these type of injectors can not be cleaned.

He could increase the power by adjusting the injector pump, as it is easy to do, however, in my opinion an EGT gauge should be fitted to make sure that unsafe levels are not reached. There is nothing to do with the turbo other than increasing the boost and unless it is out, it should not be increased on a 300TDI.

fit an EGT gauge (properly) first then the worlds your lobster (or some other sea creature)

tech archive has some samples of EGT set ups.

it is the only thing that will let you see what is happening with the engine pre/post adjustment

If you are going to tweak your pump an EGT gauge is a must have. I would have blown my engine to bits long ago without one. It is long uphills that get the EGT high, it doesn't have to be steep, just long. Maybe I have more of a problem here at 5000ft. The injectors can be adjusted to open at 200bar, and the tips can be changed. Not a job for your average car mechanic, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ted

If you want to get the performance & economy up go with New enlarged full-width intercooler (pump also needs slight adjusting) not only to get that performance but good economy - plus you find the motor runs cooler too

if you can get away with it - away with the EGR & more importantlly the CAT (pipes are cheap to source) blankers for the EGR are also easy to source.

small imporvements my be made by a K&N filter & even one of their induction kits

together with putting on a electric fan

hope the info helps

happy trails

Abe

Hi Ted

If you want to get the performance & economy up go with New enlarged full-width intercooler (pump also needs slight adjusting) not only to get that performance but good economy - plus you find the motor runs cooler too

if you can get away with it - away with the EGR & more importantlly the CAT (pipes are cheap to source) blankers for the EGR are also easy to source.

small imporvements my be made by a K&N filter & even one of their induction kits

together with putting on a electric fan

hope the info helps

happy trails

Abe

Thanks for that!

What intercooler will fit bearing in mind its got A/Conditioning, also where would I source one! in OZ?

"small imporvements my be made by a K&N filter & even one of their induction kits"

you may get an imporvement, but your engine won't like it in the long run. Just check on the K&N threads on all the LR web sites.

Don't fit a K&N filter. Stick with paper elements for Australia - too dusty for inferior filters.

Australian 300Tdi's don't have egr, so it will already be blanked.

People have increased the boost pressure a little with success, but the injection pump adjustments are where the power increase will come from.

As everyone else has stated, fit an egt gauge. There are good units made in Australia from Thermoguard Some good technical info on Ian's site as well.

300Tdi injectors are 2 stage and the normal diesel shop can't service or calibrate the high pressure stage. They can clean and replace the tips and calibrate the 1st stage.

Back in the days when tdi's were serviced at the stealers, it was common for them to change the injectors. You see their point of view:

1) It is easy to do

2) It gets you (the customer) off their back as they can prove they have done something

3) they make a nice mark up on the parts

But I have not personally met anyone who has noticed an improvement in anything on changing the injectors. I changed mine because I was offered some for cheap but took them out as they were worse than the old ones (this at 160k kms). I have since fitted them back and had the old ones adjusted to as-new spec. So now I have some on the garage shelf. They have come in handy to substitute for suspect ones. I wonder how long they really do last?

When we recondition an engine we change lots of parts and often have the injector pump reconditioned, but leave the injectors alone.

I changed the injectors in my old old 90 when it was about 10 yrs old and can't say I noticed any difference at all. I did it because I had been told somewhere that the useful life is about 60k miles but I know one vehicle here which has 170k miles and is still on the original injectors, it doesn't run that well but the rest of the vehicle is knackered anyway (for 170k miles here read about 400k miles in terms of wear and tear in most parts of the world)