Who can tell me about ...

I'm thinking of making a trip through the Alps next summer, having enjoyed our trip to the Pyrennees and would like to follow Hannibal's trail. Has anyone done this route or can offer any guidence on using off-road pistes in the Alps ? Photo, accounts and advice welcome. Also any recommendations you might have .

:)

Mo

No one knows it Mo. There are assumptions, but no one can actually say which route was taken. Best to do a google for latest books on routes and do some reading. You can then look at taking some of the suggested routes.

IIRC there was an article in one of the mags last year that tried a few routes and had local assistance from a off-road tour company. I'll see if I can find the mag.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve and Mark, I appreciate those links. :)

A photocopy of the article would be most welcome. I do recall reading it somewhere but I pass on my mags after reading so I've no way to refer back.

Cheers

Mo

Mo,

I guess the problem for me is that the route is mainly hearsay and seems to lack in definitive historical evidence …………. It’s a bit like Vienna ………. How come every small restaurant is the one in which Mozart used to partake his meals and beverages !!!!

Some of route that can be driven is on the ski piste and also some of it can only be accessed by crossing private land. The Val d'Isere 4x4 club have access rights and you can only really travel this section with their help…………

They are a real friendly bunch (but like Jeeps & Toys) and IIRC can be found about ¾ of the way down Val d'Isere main street (its pretty much a one street village anyway) when entering the village from the Le Fornet direction ………….. you will see a small sign and they used to have a small cabin / office at the rear of some larger buildings.

These guys are a real friendly bunch and it would probably pay to drop them an email ……… look here…….

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Ian

Jen and I went down to the Susa valley on the Italian side of the Alps a couple of years ago, near a place called Bardonechia. We'd been shown a load of tracks that lead up the mountains to old derelict forts the year before by Mike and Mandy of Alpine Rovers (before they became Alpine Rovers, so didn't have to pay them anything!! :D ).

The routes weren't specifically Hannibal trails, as far as I know, but they were good and the views were fantastic!! Nothing particularly taxing about the routes, but some of the sheer drops were enough to make you clench your underpants a bit tightly!!

Sure I've got a couple of maps at home. I'll scan some bits for ya and post up when I get 5 mins.

D :)

Yes Mo they do .............. IIRC a defender 110 or may have been a 130 was rolled up on the hillside a few years ago by a 'trained' driver who was taking some journo's for a spin.

I guess the problem you will face if trying to tie the two together is that the club organizes the off road show, so they will be too busy to assist you in your quest......

However, as i said before.......... a pleading inquiring email should do the trick ............ tall the guys I spoke to do very, very good English and are passionate about 'wheeling'

Ian

it's on this year 28th July - 5th August and i seem to remember that it's often on at that time of year

i reckon dropping them a line in french might be a good idea- the locals always like to see someone trying i reckon!