Defender on Disco wheels

Paul64

I think you meant to say 'my 110 runs on Discovery steel wheels'

I've not heard of those failing on a 110, there as strong as the XD/Wolf steels on my 110. the old RR Rostyle wheels fail/crack if used on heavily laden 110's because those aren't recommended for 110 or rated to carry a 110's max gross weight.

I think you meant to say 'my 110 runs on Discovery steel wheels'

I've not heard of those failing on a 110, there as strong as the XD/Wolf steels on my 110. the old RR Rostyle wheels fail/crack if used on heavily laden 110's because those aren't recommended for 110 or rated to carry a 110's max gross weight.

Thanks for that Ralph. Good to hear. Thanks for pointing out the mistake, I will edit it now before I cause anymore confusion.

Cheers,

Paul.

They are a lot stronger than 8 spokes and plenty of people run 110's on those. I had my 110 on disco steels with no problems. Whether or not they are rated to the full axle load capacity of a 110 I don't know.

They are a lot stronger than 8 spokes and plenty of people run 110's on those. I had my 110 on disco steels with no problems. Whether or not they are rated to the full axle load capacity of a 110 I don't know.

The article was in one of the mags recently - LRO I think - written by their new Overlanding "expert". It stated literally what was said above - that Disco rims can fail on a 110.

I think that there has been some confusion over Discovery steel rims (which, I'm led to believe were the strongest rims that LR supplied up until the Wolf type rim was introduced) and the Rostyle rim as used on the RRC - again as stated above.

I know of a number of people who use / were using Disco rims on racers - sure they'd bend if you hit them hard enough, but they don't fail. Personally I have two sets of tyres for my own 110 - road and off road - both of which are on Disco rims, and have been for a number of years. I've had no problems whatsoever with rims failing / bending / cracking etc... and those that know me will know that I don't exactly run light in the 110... ;)

Hope this helps.

Matt

Guest diesel_jim
The article was in one of the mags recently - LRO I think - written by their new Overlanding "expert". It stated literally what was said above - that Disco rims can fail on a 110.

Matt

I tend to take what LRO print with an extremely large pinch of salt..... most of the time they can't get basic things correct, like what a discovery is, or a 90 or 110 (pictures with the wrong quotes for them).

actually, i'm amazed LRO allowed a picture of a disco rim on a 110 to be printed... usually, if someone writes in asking about fitting something non production, ie disc braked axle/wheels/engine etc, they normally wtite "well laddie, land rover spent literally pounds on R&D so they must be right. don't change your vehicle about, coz' it ain't right y'see, LR built it to be the way it is, don't you go messin' with it!" (to be read in a broad west country accent :D )

Thats where I saw it then. :D

I doubt the Discovery steels will be a problem, they are massively strong wheels that are quite a bit thicker than most white 8 spokes. Discovery alloys might be a problem on a heavily loaded vehicle, because most Discovery alloys except for Boost and Deep Dish are only rated to the GVW of a Discovery which is about 2700 kg IIRC, whereas a 110 is usually 3050kg or 3500kg depending on suspension spec (most are 3050kg and the self levelling ones are a bit less I think). Unless you plan on running your 110 at 3 tons all the time it probably isn't an issue though check with insurers. I run my vehicle empty most of the time and have a set of Freestyle alloys on it.