Garage Drawings

Les Brock

Having helped Nick do his gearbox and clutch etc on the floor and having done all the work on mine ( several times :lol: ) outside the time has come for a garage and workshop

So..... planning anyone on here any good with drawings ?, that could knock me a set up for submission if I had some dimensions :unsure:

Or could I do them myself :o

need some building advice as well

Basically I need to get the Hybrid and Disco through the doors ( not both at the same time :ph34r: ) , have enough room to work around it, have a section as a work area....... and big enough to get Jez's old welder in :blink:

I already have a retaining wall that has 1.2 m'ish footing with 9" hollow x 3 high that that may or may not be suitable for the rear wall :unsure:

I take it custom doors will be needed to get them through ?

Thoughts on construction....normal blocks and piers ?

or 9 inch hollows all the way round ?

Flat roof...well slight pitch for the water to run off....

any web sites I can look at ;)

Any Brickies want a cobble :ph34r:

So what I really want is if I give someone the floor dimensions....for them to tell me the rest :hysterical:

Les

I built my own to fit a Discovery in

built from concrete block with rear retaining wall for the garden that section was 13" thick

pitch slated roof.

handmade double opening (remote controlled) doors in all it cost about £4k

you can get decent sectional(concrete) garages that are big enough for any 4wd to fit in

normally advertised in horsey mags.

I'd recommend concrete block and a couple of RSJs to use for lifting inserted at wall plate height.

I'd never lifted a trowel before.

PS did you know Nick is a dab hand at building? (sorry Nick if you hadn't told Les)

you can pick up building regs booklets from the council and check to see if you need planning permission.

We had to get planning for a barn up here after we first moved in and all they wanted were some pretty basic drawings showing the front, side and plan view (i think). I do know that they were all lovingly drawn by me with nothing more technical than a pen and ruler though. No reason you couldn't do the same.

The location plans were the same too, no problems with any of it.

I'd give it a go

you can get decent sectional(concrete) garages that are big enough for any 4wd to fit in

normally advertised in horsey mags.

The classic car mags tend to have similar adverts, inc the lovely (but not cheap) timber workshops. I've always wanted a big Landrover sized garage, all the garages I've had have been barely big enough to fit a small car in, the height is always the issue with 'standard' garages.

At the moment in the place I'm renting both Landrovers live on the drive and the garage stores the bikes and camping equipment plus tools. The girlfriend's place is better - double car port which the 110 fits nicely into :D no power, light or doors though :angry:

Les,

Have a look at Google SketchUp for a super easy to use 3D drawing package.

I've inhereted an awesome workshop which I'm going to jig about to make Landy access. Keep us updated about the project - I'd be interested in your door selection.

Having helped Nick do his gearbox and clutch etc on the floor and having done all the work on mine ( several times :lol: ) outside the time has come for a garage and workshop

So..... planning anyone on here any good with drawings ?, that could knock me a set up for submission if I had some dimensions :unsure:

Or could I do them myself :o

need some building advice as well

Basically I need to get the Hybrid and Disco through the doors ( not both at the same time :ph34r: ) , have enough room to work around it, have a section as a work area....... and big enough to get Jez's old welder in :blink:

I already have a retaining wall that has 1.2 m'ish footing with 9" hollow x 3 high that that may or may not be suitable for the rear wall :unsure:

I take it custom doors will be needed to get them through ?

Thoughts on construction....normal blocks and piers ?

or 9 inch hollows all the way round ?

Flat roof...well slight pitch for the water to run off....

any web sites I can look at ;)

Any Brickies want a cobble :ph34r:

So what I really want is if I give someone the floor dimensions....for them to tell me the rest :hysterical:

Regarding plans, assuming its not connected to the house in any way you should only need plans for 'planning approval'. You shouldn't need a building regs type drawing for a garage. Your planning sketch should show the garage in relation to your house, also include a site plan showing your property in its surroundings eg. the street you live in with all the houses marked on, many blow up the the relevant section of an OS map and mark in red where the propsed building is to be.

A sketch of what you expect it to look like along with some overall sizes would help.

If it does not have to match the house, then I'd build it in 100mm concrete blocks 7N (densecrete or similar) with pillars(full block laid flat). If the doors are going to be swinging on these pillars then then make sure there is enough support/weight in them for the doors, any other openings especially side doors, pillars both sides.

If it is near the house it may be worth paying the extra to have that side of the garage in facing bricks to match the house.

Andy

I'd be interested in your door selection.

Although I didn't 'select' my door - I was just lucky to buy a garage (with a house attached) with 7 foot clearance under the door.

It's a regular 6'6" up & over door mounted 8" higher in the frame such that there would be an 8" gap underneath. The gap has been filled with a bit of steel sheet attached to the door. Very simple - and cheap.

Si

I was just lucky to buy a garage (with a house attached)

Sheer genius!

A chum of mine tells a good story of him and SWMBO in the estate agents

EA - "What sort of property are you looking for Madam?"

SWMBO - "Well, a nice three bed semi detached within proximity of a school with a nice airy modern feel and a good sized garden, maybe with a shed for him"

EA - "And what sort of property are you looking for Sir?"

Chum - "A great big double garage and seperate workshop with a house in the grounds"

Surprisingly close!

Si

Sheer genius!

A chum of mine tells a good story of him and SWMBO in the estate agents

EA - "What sort of property are you looking for Madam?"

SWMBO - "Well, a nice three bed semi detached within proximity of a school with a nice airy modern feel and a good sized garden, maybe with a shed for him"

EA - "And what sort of property are you looking for Sir?"

Chum - "A great big double garage and seperate workshop with a house in the grounds"

a prefab garage would be cheaper then a block built one. they can make them any lenth and width. if you want to lift anything just build some some hollow block pillers fill with concrete top of with a flag pop rsj on and fasten in place. main thing is the garage base wants to be 6in deep with some steel in.

some time garage firms have drawings you can give to the planners.

good luck

swanny