Electric fan

Outrage

Hi All,

I'm thinking about installing an electric fan and doing away with the one off the engine. I don't want to pay rediculous amounts for a ken lowe or similar effort.

Has anyone done this with a Lightweight and can reccomend a fan off another vehicle (preferably common in scrappies!) that i could install with the minimum of fuss.

I also want to run it off a temperature sender so can anyone give me an appropriate sender and method of installation?

Thanx in advance,

i have just started a thread ref the wiring poblems i found when doing this, the end result on the thread is a soution to allow a tin fan set up to run both fans on, both off, or one running controlled by a thermostate. you could adapt this to suit your needs.

my fans were old V8 ones for a £10.

in then end i used a PACET thermostat control box. primaily as it was recommended and has a decent method of attaching the sensor to the top hose. wuite pricy though £50 IIRC.

wiring diagram is shown on that other thread.

hello,

i fitted an electric fan to my defender, the donor vehicle was a 1.9 citreon turbo, it has two fans fitted on a large radiator.

i simply fitted a seperate switch to turn it on and off when needed, but apart from pulling up the pyrenees fully loaded in august,i havnt really used it. i cant comment on how hot the airportable will get, as most of mine is in peices strewn around the garage !

cheers...

I don't know if these are available where you are but we have had great success with the 2 wire Ford Tuarus fan. It has 2 speeds and pulls about 3000fcm, and comes mounted to a couling that is almost perfect coverage of a Defender radiator

whistler......Thats good to know for us on this side of the pond, thanks for the info and Oh i see you are moving up in the world... posting here and all :)

whistler......Thats good to know for us on this side of the pond, thanks for the info and Oh i see you are moving up in the world... posting here and all :)

I'm glad I found where everyone had gone. I come back after the summer and no more LRE. I came across this board while searching for some tech and after seeing that you were hanging out here I just had to join the party.

A correction to my above post, the fan is a 3 wire, 2 speed. I have 2 in the garage so if anyone needs a photo i can get one.