Tips for driving Offroad with an auto

jon62

Please be gentle with me as this is my first post, I have driven offroad many times with a 'normal' gearbox in a disco or range rover but never with an auto box, could any one out there give me a tip or two to prevent my early demise :o

The vehicle in question is a 300tdi discovery.

Thanks

Please be gentle with me as this is my first post, I have driven offroad many times with a 'normal' gearbox in a disco or range rover but never with an auto box, could any one out there give me a tip or two to prevent my early demise :o

The vehicle in question is a 300tdi discovery.

Thanks

Ignore everything you ever heard about not touching the brake pedal on descents - you'll need it. Aside from that you'll find everything just got really smooth and easy :)

Autos are better uphill, manuals down - as to which is overall superior offroad that really seems to be a matter of taste. Personally I much prefer an auto.

Personally I LOVE my auto offroad. But as has been said it's fast downhill! Even in lowbox!

I find left foot braking works well, but it takes time to get used to if you've not done it before.

Don't leave it till your halfway down a steep hill to try out for the first time!!!

HTH

Dom

I find left foot braking works well, but it takes time to get used to if you've not done it before.

Don't leave it till your halfway down a steep hill to try out for the first time!!!

This is very true...the first time you try it you floor it like a clutch and slam the truck to a very inelegant halt :lol:

I got into the habit of left foot breaking when I had idling problems and needed to keep my foot on the accellerator to stop it stalling. Now I left foot brake all the time, on and off road. Not sure it's a particularly good habit, but there you go...

Hi

I get a lot of pleasure from my auto especially up hill at an awkward spot. As everyone else has said be careful downhill as you have no control over speed apart from the brake.

Such lazy driving but great!

Hi

Been trialling an auto RRC for a few years.

1st low all the time, and use the brakes for downhill decents where needed. As said further up the thread, don't allow your speed to build up in the first place, as it is harder to slow down. You will develop a feel for what the wheels are doing. Cadence braking is the way to go until you are confident with control. If it locks the wheels, gently accelererate to regain steeering control.

I found that using 2nd for climbs tended to cause a change down half way up the hill, promoting wheelspin, hence the use of 1st all the time now.

HTH