LPG users beware

unclebill1

Lent my Rangy to a mate the other day, now hes no numpty, drives heavy different vehicles, but he asked to borrow my Rangy to tow a trailer, anyway the LPG system is a multipoint commercially fitted system and is bloody good, no problems ever.

So hes in a garage filling up, which hes done plenty of times before, does all the usual things, gets bored leaning of the button, pump stops, he releases the button, releases the filling handle which gives the usual release of gas, then twists the nozzle the half turn and gets the nozzle blown out at him with enough gas to give him a burn half way up his forearm .

Now I've been running that motor for a couple of years now and a Disco similar for years before that and have never ever had any problems at all, so I think it must have been the garage pump leaking through.

Anyone had a similar problem or any thoughts.

As I said I think its the garages fault and as they phoned him up to see how he was I think I'm right.

Needed attention at hospital anyway so beware.

Lent my Rangy to a mate the other day, now hes no numpty, drives heavy different vehicles, but he asked to borrow my Rangy to tow a trailer, anyway the LPG system is a multipoint commercially fitted system and is bloody good, no problems ever.

So hes in a garage filling up, which hes done plenty of times before, does all the usual things, gets bored leaning of the button, pump stops, he releases the button, releases the filling handle which gives the usual release of gas, then twists the nozzle the half turn and gets the nozzle blown out at him with enough gas to give him a burn half way up his forearm .

Now I've been running that motor for a couple of years now and a Disco similar for years before that and have never ever had any problems at all, so I think it must have been the garage pump leaking through.

Anyone had a similar problem or any thoughts.

As I said I think its the garages fault and as they phoned him up to see how he was I think I'm right.

Needed attention at hospital anyway so beware.

Only once in three years or running an LPG fuelled truck, and no-where near that bad. Smarted a bit though. Think that was a dodgy pump - took three attempts to get it to seal on properly and actually deliver fuel, and it blasted gas out after both the failed attempts (only got me the first time - I was a bit more cautious after that...).

Most of the pumps seem to have deflectors on now so I guess it must be common enough.

Only once in three years or running an LPG fuelled truck, and no-where near that bad. Smarted a bit though. Think that was a dodgy pump - took three attempts to get it to seal on properly and actually deliver fuel, and it blasted gas out after both the failed attempts (only got me the first time - I was a bit more cautious after that...).

Most of the pumps seem to have deflectors on now so I guess it must be common enough.

Ran a RRC on LPG for 2 years, never had anything as bad as that. Have had similar to Geoff's incident. Not used them in 2 years though so don't know about these deflectors. Worst I got was a lungful of pongy smell.

Hope he is ok.

I've filled-up with LPG more times than I care to remember, well it is a V8......................

Never had the experience of your friend with hospital type damage

The Nas filler is above the petrol filler and being Nas is at the rear just like the rear tank TD5 vehicles and I was refused a re-fill in Wales because the connector on the vehicle is rotated 90° due to being difficult to access, apparantly there is a rule that the holster must be in the same vertical orientation on your vehicle as when the holster is parked in the forecourt pump. I have not changed the filler on the Nas but am very aware of checking the holster before during and after the fill. Since this is a pressure device worth a quick check prior to use.

apparantly there is a rule that the holster must be in the same vertical orientation on your vehicle as when the holster is parked in the forecourt pump.

Sorry - I don't get what you are saying here... Could you explain further please?

I am just in the process of fitting a new coupling through the upper wing area of the RRC - I hope this is ok?

TwoSheds

The Nas filler is above the petrol filler and being Nas is at the rear just like the rear tank TD5 vehicles and I was refused a re-fill in Wales because the connector on the vehicle is rotated 90° due to being difficult to access, apparantly there is a rule that the holster must be in the same vertical orientation on your vehicle as when the holster is parked in the forecourt pump. I have not changed the filler on the Nas but am very aware of checking the holster before during and after the fill. Since this is a pressure device worth a quick check prior to use.

I've no idea if this is correct, but I really can't see how it would make any difference :unsure: The actual valve is symetrical and then you just have a bayonet collar that clamps it in place. I suppose if it was one of those awkward petrol pump handled ones like Esso use then it would leave the hose pointing in the wrong direction which might put excessive strain on the coupling, but the standard ones would be at the same angle in all orientations.

I've never had a problem - but then I've only been using LPG for 5 months (quite a few fills, though - it is a V8 !). I'm always careful, however, to make sure that the connection is firm before going to start the pump.

Theres no valve in the vehicle inlet (until you get to the tank(s)), so you normally get a small puff which is the pipes emptying.

In your friends case the valve on the end of the filling nozzle must have failed, dumping the contents of the filling pipe.

I hate being litigeous - but in this case would chase some compensation from the garage.

p.s. If you refer to 'blow back' on a LPG car, it would normally refer to ignition in the intake pipes which can occur occasionally.

Theres no valve in the vehicle inlet (until you get to the tank(s)), so you normally get a small puff which is the pipes emptying.

In your friends case the valve on the end of the filling nozzle must have failed, dumping the contents of the filling pipe.

I hate being litigeous - but in this case would chase some compensation from the garage.

p.s. If you refer to 'blow back' on a LPG car, it would normally refer to ignition in the intake pipes which can occur occasionally.

Mine's got a valve right in the filler adaptor. When I was testing with compressed air you could release the pressure in the pipe by pushing a metal rod into the filler. It's one of the old screw types.

Sorry - I don't get what you are saying here... Could you explain further please?

I am just in the process of fitting a new coupling through the upper wing area of the RRC - I hope this is ok?

TwoSheds

You don't get the meaning or it's my explanation :D

When you take the filler from the holster on the forecourt you are supposed to turn around and place the filler on the vehicle fill system with the handle you are holding pointing vertically downwards with the fill pipe pointing vertically downwards. Forget about rotating the collar and pulling and latching, the fill pipe must be smoothly flowing upwards from the ground to your vehicle.

Now imagine the tub of a 90 and the petrol filler sitting in it's folded sheet metal housing, the petrol filler cap sits back at a slight angle and my LPG filler sits above the petrol filler and therefore there is not enough room for the LPG filler pipe to clear the petrol cap. Therefore when I take the filler out of the holster I rotate the whole filler pipe assembly 90° clockwise and therefore the pipe does not smoothly flow vertically downwards to the forecourt pump and more importantly I am putting a side load on the connector mechanism.

It was all fitted by a reputable dealer so maybe they didn't read as far into the handbook as chummy in Wales or maybe chummy in Wales had his more than my jobs worth hat on :D