The hunt is on......Maybe (This is for electrical Gurus)

And I prob will too, but will give it a go for a while.

I am trying to find out where I can get replacement Terminals such as these :

post-22-1184747188_thumb.jpg

They are Ford / GM based / used in.

So far the previous hunter spend 8 months and has searched the entire AMP / Tyco site :o to no avail

Its a long shot but anyone here have any ideas of other manufactuers of terminals to twarl trhough ?

Nige

You could do with chatting to a Ford techy dude.

I know dealers used to have a workshop kit with various sized connectors like those (with short length of wire attached)

to solder into wiring looms that had damaged pins.

How they replaced the used ones in the kit, I don't know, but they can ,so get them to order the ones you want.

Wossit off, and have you got a piccy of the connector? Doesn't look like an EDIS one so I'm wondering why you've got it :unsure:

Wrong!!!! Its an EDIS one.

They're simply not available in this country. RS dont do em, and they're not made by Tyco and hence you wont find em in their catalogue!

I've seen both the pins and connectors for sale on US based wbesites however. I'd suggest you're into importing them if you want them!

Cheers

Jon

Why do you need it?

Leave the connector alone & solder onto the cut tails.

That one has been crimped with the proper tool, and will be reliable.

...unless you plan to buy the tool as well, which is usually several hundred quid.

I know exactly what you mean but :

If I can have no soldered joints AND have it done properly it has to be a nicer job.

I think I may now have a "Source" x2 persuing loike mad :)

The crimps themselves are similar at the crimp end to a spade uninsulated crimp,

so no need for a special tool :lol: Oooer Missus

Nige

The crimps themselves are similar at the crimp end to a spade uninsulated crimp,

so no need for a special tool :lol: Oooer Missus

Nige

No serously (and i am a electronics engineer by profession) using a crimp tool that 'looks the same' is a recipe for disaster.

It may look alright, but contact resistance & strength may not be good, and could let you down.

Theres nothing wrong with solder joints if done well. My own LR is full of mine.

Splay it open and solder to it like Hoss suggests, sure solder isn't flexible but if you are sensible about where you solder things you shouldn't have any failures. Pretty much everything on my loom is soldered.

Actually no i wouldn't do that. The crimp joint you have there is solid & reliable.

Leave whatever tail you have & extend the wire with a solder joint & heatshrink sleeve. If you are paranoid, do a hook joint (wire ends hooked into each other then solder) personally i just use a well soldered lap joint.

Erm, where I solder ? :hysterical:

Nige

You could get a grown-up to do it :ph34r:

Can you post a picture of the connector it goes into? I do have some crimps that look remarkably like some I have- but I would want to check the actual connector type first.

You're missing the point- Crimps that 'look a little bit like...', crimped with a tool that 'looks like the right one' are a reciepe for trouble.

Believe me, i do this for a job.

You're missing the point- Crimps that 'look a little bit like...', crimped with a tool that 'looks like the right one' are a reciepe for trouble.

Believe me, i do this for a job.

That is why I asked for the photo of the connector- If it is one of the series I use- I may have the right part.

As Mark points out- I do this for a living too, so am painfully aware of what happens when crimps are bodged!

My previous reply crossed with Hoss's-

Having a photo of the connector would hopefully have helped identify the manufacturer.

Unfortunately the series it isn't one we currently use, so in this instance I therefore don't have the right part or tools. As Nige lives not too far from me, popping round with the correct tool wouldn't have been a problem had it been something I had.

From previous experience with EPC, they don't manufacture the crimps, only the housings. The crimps we required to fit their housings are made by Lear or Molex so it may be possible to obtain a sample quantity from one of these two, sufficient to complete the job. I have had a look through the Molex website and so far haven't been able to find the right part- it needs some time spending on it! If it is Molex- I do have some of their tooling.

Mike

Probablt true, but contact is not a Molex part that i recognise.

I really don't think it's worth all this trouble though.

A perfectly reliable solution can be made soldering onto the existing tails. It's what everybody else who has installed a custom EDIS has done.