Oil

BadBob

Help please i have 02 disco 2 4.0 v8 what oil should i have put in I thought I was useing the best (castrol magatec 5/30 synthtic) :o but have been told by mechanic friend V8s dont like synthic oil is this true or just myth thanks

Help please i have 02 disco 2 4.0 v8 what oil should i have put in I thought I was useing the best (castrol magatec 5/30 synthtic) :o but have been told by mechanic friend V8s dont like synthic oil is this true or just myth thanks

Ive read a few times that the V8 does not like synthetic, Ive always used a good quality 20/50 mineral and have had no ill effects whatsoever.

The Rover V8 has a low presure high volume oil set up, your 5/30 is more for high presure.

IIRC, its down to the "old" design and large tolerances of that design and some seals requiring the swelling that the minerals provide.

Look up "Whats the BHP?" in the international forum by Bull Bar Cowboy, he details engine oil choice for the V8 there.

However, yours is (by the majority on here) a modern version of the engine, perhaps they upgraded, whats the Land Rover manual tell you?

Later engines do indeed use gnats pi$$.................... maybe you should go along with the LR recommendation, although if it is high mileage then consider a more standard semi , like 15 – 40 …………………but then again if it’s a high miles with a known history then it may be OK. Also the later engines suggested oil change is every 12K ……….. this demands a higher quality oil ………………and I personally think 12K is pushing the boundaries of sanity with this engine design ……………

certainly the earlier engines would suffer badly with synthetics like mobil 1 .............. they tend to burn it and the oil consumption is very high, plus the fact that the oil pressure is lower.................. so no, it is not a myth

It all depends on the engine history and mileage……………. But as a rule of thumb, certainly the pre cross bolt engines (i.e pre suffix 'b') do not like gnats pi$$ for oil.

I certainly have had good success with Castrol magnatec 15 – 40 and its changed every 3K.

:)

Ian

My 4.6 seemed to burn a bit when I had (cheap Russian) 10W40 in it, now it's got 20/50 in it it seems much happier. I can only assume the thin stuff is too thin for it, perhaps the serpentine oil pump is better at generating the right pressure for the thinner oils, but having once put some very thin oil in the 3.9 only to have it un-prime itself at a play day I am wary of doing so with a "normal" oil pump.

I use Magnatec 5w30 synth because that is what the spec in the book translates to, the mineral oils don't meet the ACEA spec. No idea why the change as it is the same engine as has already been pointed out...

Thanks guys disco's same as bogmonsters has done 24000 miles so I hope it's going to be OK I do'nt really want to have to drain £50 worth for no reason

Thanks guys disco's same as bogmonsters has done 24000 miles so I hope it's going to be OK I do'nt really want to have to drain £50 worth for no reason

I'd rather use cheaper oil and not be afraid to change it - if you're paying £50 to fill a V8 with oil you're either buying Mobil 1 with extra cocaine in it, or shopping at Halfords :rolleyes: ... try the motor factors.