Recip Tyres

sheeppimp

getting some new tyres for the series 1 and am tempted by the Recip Trial tyre. As it says above really are they any good.

It'll mostly be for these luvverly welsh lanes and maybe the odd playday/rtv.

Sizewise probably 205 in case it makes any difference

ta in advance

The Recip Trial is a copy of the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw, which is an awesome tire! Unless you put them next to each other (like I did), you can't see much difference. 2 of my mates have them under their RRCs (235/85R16). Offroad it easily out performs traditional Muds like the BFG of the same size, onroad it's louder and you need to take a bit more care in the corners, but still very acceptable if it's not a daily driver.

I probably would have bought them myself but they don't come bigger then 32", so I went for the Mickey Thompsons (and paid the price...).

Do they puncture easily? The only vehicle I know that runs them seems to have three Recips and an AT most of the time...

Will:)

Just out of interest what wheels is he running, only ask as t'other arf had a nightmare with flat tyres on her rangey and that was down to the rims (old alloys) Cleaned them up and no problems for a while ( cue flat tyre in the morning :rolleyes:

cheers

toby

I've had grief with this lately, i've got elderly rangie 3-spoke alloys on my disco, which are slowly reverting back into bauxite, they seem to leak a bit around the rims...

seem to have fixed hers - I gently cleaned up the horrible bits with a wire brush on the angle grinder and so far no leaks, it's been a couple of months now.

tbh there may be better ways but I figured I had nowt to lose, apart from a lot of wheel changing! I also had a full set of disco steels in case i ferked 'em up

Supposedly (and I can see the logic in this, but don't know if it's an issue in practice) you shouldn't use a wire brush on alloys, as fragments of steel can be left in the alloy leading to sacrificial corrosion and accelerated deterioration of the service, even under paint.

You can get plastic prep wheels for angle grinders which avoid this.

Just out of interest what wheels is he running, only ask as t'other arf had a nightmare with flat tyres on her rangey and that was down to the rims (old alloys) Cleaned them up and no problems for a while ( cue flat tyre in the morning :rolleyes:

cheers

toby

On new 8 spokes, bought as a package I would think. I used to suffer like hell with colways on the old Rangey Rostyles as they were tubed wheels and the colways were too rough inside to use tubes. One flat a week was no fun. Bought new wheels in the end and went up a few tyre sizes in the process ;)

Will :)