NV4500

66gaza

I think the jury is hung on the NV4500. For all its gushing advocates there are plenty of harsh critics. For old school bomb boxes, the best of the bunch are the NP435, the SM465, the SM420, the T98 and the T18 - sadly all 4 speeds. Having said that, how nice would a 76:1 1st low, with no underdrive, be. That's what an SM465 will give you, while an SM420 with its 7.05 1st gear will generate a rather handsome 83:1 1st low assuming LT230 and 3.54 diffs. Other than that you can't flat tow with the NP435, these are all tried and tested very strong boxes and every one of them is shorter than the NV4500. In the Tonka's next iteration, I can see an NP435 behind some dreadful fire-breathing SBC (not that I'm a fan)...

This link may be helpful Transmissions and Sizes

However when you meet the owner of the example of the no problem 200HP TD5 he admitts that he can't keep exhaust manifolds on what ever he does. I take from this that the EGT's are to high due to higher fueling. Hence over time if the exhaut manifold stays on the turbo will suffer.

I can vouch for that! No end of problems with manifolds on my 190bhp+ JJF tuned Td5 110. Over 2 years & 40K miles I became a dab hand at removing the turbo to replace the manifold and studs in the head. Unfortunately, enough was enough and it had to go before other large bills started presenting themselves - replacement turbo, potential for head gasket failure, etc. Fine in a competition vehicle (maybe), but not for an every day drive.

While the Td5 was reasonably brisk to drive, I've gone back to my old 300Tdi 110 for a daily driver and am not disappointed. However, I do have an Overfinch 570HSi RRC to play with when I feel the need for a fix of speed.

I think the jury is hung on the NV4500. For all its gushing advocates there are plenty of harsh critics. For old school bomb boxes, the best of the bunch are the NP435, the SM465, the SM420, the T98 and the T18 - sadly all 4 speeds. Having said that, how nice would a 76:1 1st low, with no underdrive, be. That's what an SM465 will give you, while an SM420 with its 7.05 1st gear will generate a rather handsome 83:1 1st low assuming LT230 and 3.54 diffs. Other than that you can't flat tow with the NP435, these are all tried and tested very strong boxes and every one of them is shorter than the NV4500. In the Tonka's next iteration, I can see an NP435 behind some dreadful fire-breathing SBC (not that I'm a fan)...

This link may be helpful Transmissions and Sizes

Hi, can you get adapters to bolt these boxes to a LT230? or is it a one off. I chose an N4500 because of its O/D and because I thought I could bolt it upto an LT230 via one of Marks adapters. I appreciate these old gearboxes do have a good rep. The Dodge NV4500 have a problem with 5th gear nut backing off but mines a GM NV4500 and I havn't heard of these having this problem. Most of these Dodge Nv4500 live behind The 6bt and some are BOMBED and some tow really heavy some are both so there will be problems. Its a stout box in a 110 in a bombed dodge cummins towing heavy its a timebomb. My GM NV4500 now resides behind a cummins and I had a good selection of clutches to choose from. The SM's will bolt upto a cummins via a chevy adapter but the flywheels are very rare and clutch choice/size is limited. For me the tranny length wasn't an issue as the vehicle its in has a 130" WB.

B reg 90 I think the inline 6 BMW diesel sounds like your best bet which box you choose is is upto you (not many to choose from though) I asked in a previous post, what box is the 3.0 BMW engine attached to in the BMW? can you not use this?

My Dads Rapier now has a chipped TD5 and he is very happy with it. I am just waiting fot the R380 to go TU though. H says its a R380X and its got bigger better bearings in it, does anyone know how much better it is? surely if it was that much better it wouldn't be called a R380 anymore.

Thanks for all participants in this thread as its turned out very interesting.

Gaza

I like the sound of that combo B reg 90, 3 litr Beemer, TKO500 or FR605 depending on the ratios that suit you best - Im really interested in the cheats for the beemer lump, any more info? :i-m_so_happy:

If you get stuck looking for cheats for Beemer lumps give me a shout - my co-driver used to work for BMW and spent most of his time working with powertrains. He would probably be able to put you in touch with someone who might be able to help.

Gazza,

I was told hy the BMW box was not a good idea, but for the life of me I can't remeber why.

Jez,

I far as I am led to believe it is just as simple as getting the right engine with ECU and SWS control unit, sending the ECU and SWS gubbins to Jeremy Fearne with £135 and you get your units back 'altered' so that all they need is connecting to the engine etc. Jeremy Fearne apparently has wiring diagrams for the ECU/engine harness so that you can make that up yourself. However I have only discussed this over the phone and the next stage is to pop in to his workshop to ask some more questions, like how do you set up the injector codes, interogate the ECU etc - BMW software or some thing else). I have come round to the idea of a diesel having sensors on it, but I am still wary of an ECU going duff and having no means of reading fault codes........

Mark 90,

I will have a look at Rally Raid UK - Thanks for the pointer

Adrian

Gaza,

Do I understand that you have 6BT in a Rapier ? Would love to see some pics of that beasty. That must be one helluva rig!

Its my Dad with the Rapier, mine is 130" to the middle axle. Its nearly finnished now. The new engine that is.

Gaza

Gaza,

Do I understand that you have 6BT in a Rapier ? Would love to see some pics of that beasty. That must be one helluva rig!

Gazza hasn't mentioned it much on this forum, but his vehicle is a custom,very highly specced 6 wheel drive camper with Salisburies everywhere, custom power divider, extra heavy duty chassis, etc etc.

Bill.

Some pics please Gazza.

Gazza hasn't mentioned it much on this forum, but his vehicle is a custom,very highly specced 6 wheel drive camper with Salisburies everywhere, custom power divider, extra heavy duty chassis, etc etc.

Bill.

Some pics please Gazza.

So Bill which other forum do we have in common? obviously we both have good taste. some pics of it are here http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19

Gaza

Sorry I didn't realise you had to register to see pics. All the buildup pics are on slide except a few that my dad scanned for me it was built 1998-1999 so digital was not something I had then. the scanned pics are on another pc. I have found a pic of the chassis after it had been galv'd. The engine crossmember is for the chevy diesel that used to live there.

Bill it must be pirate I'm sure you have replied to a couple of my Q's there come to think of it. I like Pirate they have been gentle with me, maybe because I am new but they can be a bit cruel sometimes. The tech is excellent though and some of the buildup threads are really interesting.

I'm sure a few of the people here will have seen me/it at Billing or other shows, infact the reason I found this forum is because Jules was trying to get intouch with me as he had seen it about 5 years ago and wanted a bit more info so posted a thread I think it was called "looking for a camper" and someone else from this forum Bob Hyde saw me at Billing this year and I gave him my email address and the rest is history. I have enjoyed my short time here.

Gaza

Yes Gazza, It was on Pirate that we conversed. That photo of the 6x6 camper with the beautiful mountain backdrop just makes me want to sell up everything and disappear for a couple of years. Where was the location?

Bill.

That was taken in Iceland in 2005, I will definitely be going back.

Gaza

• 4 months later...
Anyone put one behind the 2.8TGV yet?

Gaza

Amazing what you stumble upon by accident....

Was out in the US at the back end of last year looking around the company that builds the awesome Toyota Icon in Hollywood. This outfit recreates ('restores' would be doing them a dis-service!) classic Toyota FJ40s with a $100k price tag. Besides using a RamJet 350, the other driveline option they're using is the 2.8TGV with the NV4500 coupled to an Atlas II T-Case. Oh yeah, there's Dynatrac axles too. :wub:

Amazing what you stumble upon by accident....

Was out in the US at the back end of last year looking around the company that builds the awesome Toyota Icon in Hollywood. This outfit recreates ('restores' would be doing them a dis-service!) classic Toyota FJ40s with a $100k price tag. Besides using a RamJet 350, the other driveline option they're using is the 2.8TGV with the NV4500 coupled to an Atlas II T-Case. Oh yeah, there's Dynatrac axles too. :wub:

Kev, excuse me a second while I nip to the loo :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
In reply to varoius comments with a few extra bits so it makes sense:

I ended up looking at the BMW 3.0 as it in it's latest version it is good for 285HP. Accourding to some BMW blurb this makes it the most powerful diesel engine available against engine wieght. Unfortunately the newer more powerful versions have ECU's that want to talk to the back seat, etc, before starting which rules them out. However the info I have to date is that the core engine is no different from the earlier 174 HP versions (as fitted to pre 2002 X-5's and post 2002 Range rovers as the TD6), the 280 HP version just has twin turbo's and a different ECU. The earlier version is easy (£135 type easy) to defeat the security code and stop it from wanting to see the back seat, etc.

Two items of interest in this:

1/. Wieght - no doubt the cummins engines are good but I am sure that they weigh in heavy. The heavier your motor the more power you need, then stonger the axles you need, the heavier you motor gets, etc. It's a visoucs cycle. More importantly heavy motors do not climb as well and sink into bogs faster....

2/. If the engine is sold with a 280 HP output by BMW, it must be capable of delivering this power reliably, hence there is lots of room to tune the 174 HP engine without sufering from reliability issues.

I did think of a TD5. However by the time you intstall it I do not think it will be much cheaper. It will than need tuning to get up to the same power levels as the standard BMW unit. Loads of people do this and the tuners state that it's no problem. However when you meet the owner of the example of the no problem 200HP TD5 he admitts that he can't keep exhaust manifolds on what ever he does. I take from this that the EGT's are to high due to higher fueling. Hence over time if the exhaut manifold stays on the turbo will suffer. Put it this way, would a standard engine be more reliable than one that has been tuned to a level not caried out by the OEM?? You can alo get more tourque out of the 3.0 BMW engine.

Once you have an engine in mind then you look at suitable transmissions. As the 3.0 BMW engine is the same block as the 2.5 BMW engine in the P38 range rover you can use the range rover manual gearbox - alegedly they do not last if you tune the 3.0 engine. R380's are better, but still go. However I do not know what tourque a TVR spec R380 will take?? (any one??)

I hence ended up talking to Rakeway about the tremec unit. However I had not thought of the LT85.

I am still investigating this so any comments on the above logic (or not) are welcome.

I know very little about american gearboxes, so any advise about units that can take 420 ft/lb / 600Nm and are light/short welcome.

Adrian

P.s. I am not an auto fan as manuals will rattle on even when damaged, auto's sucumb to heat and once it goes wrong they imobalise your motor......

I know this thread is a little aged but here is some info I found on the Cummins 4BT:

cummins 4bt cpl 858 specs

NON intercooled

dry weight 700lbs

hp 105

tq 265

gvw 16000lbs (4x2)

length w/o mech fan 26"

height 32"

width 27"

16cm turbo

the rear sump oil pan starts 10" from rear, and roughly 15" from the front with a height (or hangs down) 5"

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...