Click,Clack,click Clack-CLICKETY CLACK!

Jason2

Anyone got a fix for front brake pads in a 300tdi slapping around in the calipers making a clicking,clacking noise.Can't hear it when I have the wife "n" kids in with me but on my own with the window down drives yeh mad :blink:

for the times your missus and kids cant make it, pm me and i'll gladly supply you some substitutes, (and pay for your fuel!!!) :P:P;)

I've heard of this a few times - generally the only cure is to replace the pads.

Les.

Cheers disco tony :P

If you have less than three kids & a wife or 3 wifes & a kid I might consider a swap :rolleyes:

Les

Pads are new ;) Thought about putting some heavier springs on the retaining pins, failing that I'm just going to find a bog to plough through, that should pack em up a bit :P

My Defender does it - the rear were rpelaced to cure it but the fronts are still noisy - dealer is talking to Land Rover about it - I reckon they'll need to fit new calipers.

Right pain in it! I originaly thought that it was my CV joint giving up the ghost!

I have seen overly loose front wheel bearings making things worse, might be worth checking the end float.

Nice thought, but if you go under and rock the old girl backwards & forwards on the hand brake you can hear/see movement in pads in calipers!!!

• 2 months later...
Nice thought, but if you go under and rock the old girl backwards & forwards on the hand brake you can hear/see movement in pads in calipers!!!

Whipped front pads out whilst changing wheels over this afternoon.

After further investigation it appears that new rattling pads are exactly the same as old (non rattling) pads except for one thing.My old pads that for some obscure reason I kept have a thick piece of tape on the back that the pistons bed into and hence stop them from rattling!!!

So knowing that I put a piece of double sided carpet tape on the back of all the pads which has done the job but could really do with something a tad thicker/stronger!

Sorted! :D

I have the same sound from front brakes, not solved yet :(

...have a thick piece of tape on the back that the pistons bed into and hence stop them from rattling!!!

This tape for additional isolation between hot pads and pistons, not for hence. IMHO

I had this on my last 300 and got some of the early pad retaining kits from the 200 model and a pair of tins snips to make them fit and they were then nice and tight.

The early kits are like two flat springs pressing down on the pads instead of the springs on the pins.

Lynall