Grease guns and Discovery nipples...

Ryan

Does anyone know if modern grease gun nozzles will get to the grease nipples on the UJ of a Discovery 1 propshaft? I've been using my Dad's grease gun which he says is old than me (which means it was bought in th 60's or early 70's), but the nozzle fouls on the UJ and cannot quite get to the grease nipple.

Ryan

Edited to add:

failing that, does anyone know the size of the thread on the nipples and any local (Southampton) suppliers that would sell extended nipples?

I have a small item that was made in the 50's and a big thing that takes cartridges. Both fit any grease nipple I have tried them on, so you shouldn't have a problem. You might need to rotate the the prop to gain better access to the nipple though.

Les.

I tried rotating it, but it still couldn't get in there. I'll just have to give it another go...

Guest diesel_jim

I've seen "thin" nozzles for grease guns as well. certainly thinner than the usual average one we all seem to have.

can't bluddy remember where though! i suspect somewhere handy like an agricultural supplier would do them,

or like Ralph says, grind a flat onto the sides.

careful application of a bench grinder to each side of a standard grease gun nozzle is the best thing to do - you have to be careful not to go through it as it is quite thin but you don't need to take much off to get the nozzle to fit in more easily :)

Well, I've just spent the best part of the day under the Discovery fiddling and fettling and tried again greasing the UJs. It's definitely not having any of it. Just a thought though, for those of you who have no trouble with a standard nozzle, are you using a flexi hose and coming at it from directly above? As that's the point where the gap is at its widest.

Well, I've just spent the best part of the day under the Discovery fiddling and fettling and tried again greasing the UJs. It's definitely not having any of it. Just a thought though, for those of you who have no trouble with a standard nozzle, are you using a flexi hose and coming at it from directly above? As that's the point where the gap is at its widest.

The grease gun I use for my nas propshafts I borrowed (long term!) from our old sister company NDT who sell diamond cutting epuipment for the construction industry. It's only a cheap small gun but does not have a clip-on nozzle, just a tube with an internal conical end. Being short you can get plenty of push behind the gun and with just a tube fits even the most difficult nipples on the propshafts. It does need filling for each propshaft but seems like you have spent the last 2 days getting nowhere :rolleyes:

Look around hire shops and agricultural dealers where they supply the cheapest possible gun but in fact is the best possible for a Land Rover! :P

I used to take the prop off the diff end. You can open up the joints to their max then and a standard grease gun will get in then.

Two handy items that came from difflock:

thin neck socket for UJ bolt - genious tool - allows air tool to be used to rmeove prop in minutes.

Long neck grease nipples - no need to remove prop to grease

Sonme one else should be stocking these. Perhaps LR4x4, profits to forum fund????

Adrian

I recently went through same problem with a grease nipple on my 90 and was very easily solved by a trip to tiny little motor factors shop - they do a needle point adaptor for grease gun and it just fits perfectly, the tip of it sits into the lil bearing on grease nipple and gets virtually anywhere. I have it on a little tube off grease gun.

Snap on do them also for not too scary a price.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?Group_ID=1545

Its the needle nozzle on this page.

Davie

Flexi-hoses rule!! Woohoo!!

Managed to get the nozzle on the nipple. Don't know how much grease got inside the UJ though!

Thanks for everyone's help. I may have to invest in one of those needle nozzles at some point in the future.

Ryan