**NEW CHASSIS QUALITY**

Id be interested to hear peoples experience (good or bad) with new chassis. Ive seen some pictures recently of Designa and Richards Chassis - the quality of which would curl your toes!! Some of the welding is so bad it defies belief, crossmembers fitted wrong way round etc....It leaves me confused because i'll be in the market for a galv chassis soon, but if im shelling out £1200 i want the quality to be top notch...

I bought mine 10 years ago from Designa when it was still owned by the original owner. The welder at the time was called Arthur, his welding was top notch. I don't know if he's still there or not. I thought they were all built on jigs so can't understand how they can put stuff in upside down.

Gaza

I thought they were all built on jigs so can't understand how they can put stuff in upside down.

i cant understand it either, but its true. also, ive seen pics on another lr forum showing welding of a chassis that is just awful. im not saying there all like that, but for the money they charge NONE of them should be bad...

I have always used Richards and have now done 4 vehicles a Series 1 and 3 90's and never had any problems.

I believe they changed hands a while a go and the newest 90 chassis I got last year is built slightly differently but you can only notice when they are sat side by side. I have never had a problem with the quality on any of them although I have had to clean up the galvanising a bit in places, just taking of sharp edges and cleaning up some of the holes, nothing serious.

The last one I did is for sale if any one is interested, rebuilt with new brakes pipes, bushes etc and fitted witha 200tdi engine. It's only being sold as the person I rebuilt it for is now unable to drive a manual any more, especially a heavy Land Rove clutch for medical reasons so I ended up buying the vehicle from him.

• 3 months later...
Id be interested to hear peoples experience (good or bad) with new chassis. Ive seen some pictures recently of Designa and Richards Chassis - the quality of which would curl your toes!! Some of the welding is so bad it defies belief, crossmembers fitted wrong way round etc....It leaves me confused because i'll be in the market for a galv chassis soon, but if im shelling out £1200 i want the quality to be top notch...

like to see the pictures that you have seen

i bought mine from designa about 6 years ago now 90 csw with modifications. and a truely fantastic and very clean chassi arrived to me. can not fault it at all. very happy with it and today still looks perfect :)

iomlr

On the question of new chassis, how do you get on with the chassis No? do you get a new one, or re-use the old? Any ideas? Do you inform the DVLA?

Cheers, Jon

You stamp the chassis with your existing chassis number and yes you are supposed to inform the DVLA who will want to inspect the vehicle.

At least that was the way it worked when I did the chassis on my ltwt

I bought a designa chassis about 5 years ago and the build quality was horrific, and to top it off they werent interested in listening to my complaints or sorting the problems out.

I will never go near that company again from my personal experience. the welds missed the joints, holes werent aligned correctly and the fuel tank came rusty inside and out!

Colin

I bought a designa chassis about 5 years ago and the build quality was horrific, and to top it off they werent interested in listening to my complaints or sorting the problems out.

I will never go near that company again from my personal experience. the welds missed the joints, holes werent aligned correctly and the fuel tank came rusty inside and out!

Colin

i'm supprised to hear that.. if the owner was th one you spoke to i'm supprised he didnt listen, i know that the two guy's that worked there one called arther dont know other one, they both got the sack about 4 yrs ago. i work in the building next to designa so i help out quite a bit, company boss makes the chassis himself now.

might be me but i dont think many fabricators (if you can call them that) have pride in there work..

i know if i hadnt got a chassis that was perfect and without any twist it would be going back..

i'm supprised you accepted it.

• 4 weeks later...
This post is nearly four months old.

I have sent you a personal message and would appreciate a response.

Please accept my apologies Steve.

Ive just been going through some old posts and stumbled back upon this. For some reason i do not have a PM from yourself - i would have replied to it.

As regards the photos, ive been looking high and low for them to mail to you but i cant for the life of me find them again. They were on another forum :ph34r::ph34r:

Once again sorry for not replying, im not ignorant - honest...