LED's into dials

gelf

bought a set of LED's for the 90 off the auction site.

my dials have always been very difficult to see in the dark so i thought they would be worth while.

first problem is that the led is physicaly bigger and wont fit all the way into the dial.

so email the company who said.......

"yours is a later model with the green filter fitted...if so remove the green plastic internal dome."

so do i put a slightly larger drill bit down the hole or does the gauge come to bits???

oh yeh ... anyone got a temp gauge...ACT2216....PRC 7311

:angry:

bought a set of LED's for the 90 off the auction site...first problem is that the led is physicaly bigger and wont fit all the way into the dial.

These bulbs should be a standard size - so they should fit whether or not there's an internal filter fitted.

When I fitted mine I recall they required a firm push to seat properly. You could try reducing the diam of the bulb slightly by rubbing with wet & dry if you don't think you'll get your money back.

I echo the point about Simonb - bought a number of things from him and very helpful.

Neil

bought a set of LED's for the 90 off the auction site.

my dials have always been very difficult to see in the dark so i thought they would be worth while.

first problem is that the led is physicaly bigger and wont fit all the way into the dial.

so email the company who said.......

"yours is a later model with the green filter fitted...if so remove the green plastic internal dome."

so do i put a slightly larger drill bit down the hole or does the gauge come to bits???

oh yeh ... anyone got a temp gauge...ACT2216....PRC 7311

:angry:

I fitted a pair of defender fuel gauges that have the green filter bit. Eventually they will be lit by LEDs and you need to get them in as far as possible for best effect.

So you need to remove the green filter bit.

OK so far you know all this.

Drilling them out results in fine plastic that lodges behind the front window and you would need to remove the metal bezel to clean them up - not an easy task (no need to ask how I find that out).

I did try to use a hot piece of wire and a nail to melt a circle in the filter so it would drop out but it is not easy to do so ended up using a file which made a mess.

If you perservere, you should be able to do it but using a drill and file you end up with ickle pastic bits.

right then LED's are in ..... fuses sorted .... BUT as soon as the ignition is on the temp gauge goes into the red.

now i cant have got the wires mixed up because 1 was male and the other side female....

?????????????

apologies for being thick

graham

right then LED's are in ..... fuses sorted .... BUT as soon as the ignition is on the temp gauge goes into the red.

now i cant have got the wires mixed up because 1 was male and the other side female....

?????????????

apologies for being thick

graham

I had that after changing the location of the temp gauge, look for poor conections and shorts.

right then LED's are in ..... now i cant have got the wires mixed up because 1 was male and the other side female....graham

Graham, as the bulbs are diodes they can only work one way round, so they can't be at fault [they will either light up or not and won't affect other parts of the circuit]....just check the power leads to the temp guage.

Thanxs for recommendations guys :D

My 90/110 ones fit with no mods to dials. Latest stock are slightly different design and are slightly smaller diameter than bulbs so may be a bit of loose fit in the plastic light tube/dome bits. If so a turn of tape or so round the holder b4 inserting in tube will keep it in place. Blue or green.

My original ones for 90/110 were polarity insensitive so would work either way round, latest are polarity sensitive so 50% chance of them working 1st time!

Also have Disco 200/300 but blue only. Not going to have any on Eblag for the next few wks so email me direct, sidef@aol.com.

• 3 weeks later...