Help with kackered winches

JST

Had a great day out today although both winched have started playing up:

Husky - when under heavy load (eg just when you want it to hold) the lever pings across into freespool was uncomical results. it got progressively worse through the day. initially holding it in solved the problem although this proved impossible towards the end and the load need to make it jump out of drive decreased. seem like something has worn significantly. i had the winch 2nd hand so cant vouch for its history. also when coming off the on/off switch it continues to run for a short while when under tension so more rope comes out than is ideal. Any ideas and is it DIY fixable? anyone got an exploded pics of one (schematics that is not destroyed ones!!)

Warn XD9000i - when under load the and you release the winch power the cable unspools for a bit (bit dependant on degree of slope!) in other words i deduce the cone(?) brakes arent working. also under freespool the rope is bloody heard to pull out. under power out it sounds like it hits resistance every revolution although powers out and in OK (less the holding under load) again any ideas? repalcement brakes?

i have ltd winch knowledge although i do know that the xd isint ideal for lowering out, so if i have used it to do a climb then lower back down on it (which i do) woudl this accelerate the brake wear and give the symptons i now have? as once fixed i dotn want to knacker it again that quickly. what braking arrrangement do 8274s have? and why are they ok ofr lowering?

any help much appreciated esp as i need to get things sorted for 7S!

husky prob needs a service/replace any damaged parts

front one get rid once ok and fit an 8274 far more suitable for your needs

I'd agree with Tony about the front. On the rear, I'd consider one of the superwinch EP series cone-brake winches. Astonishingly good value, waterproof, suitable for lowering and best of all, substantially lighter than a Husky. The replacement parts for most winches make it dubiously worthwhile fixing unless it's something simple.

Have a chat with Phil @ PG - and consider options.

Si

thanks for the replies guys. i think i will go with fixing them for now as i am more than happy with the setup to date. However the warn is only 2yrs old so a bit annoyed its knackered already, those 8274 aint cheap though and fixing what i have is the cheaper option (short term possibly admitadly)

Husky will go to David Bowyer to be sorted (mates rate hopefully) esp as two faults it will need new brake bits(?) and they are unsure as to the freespool problem so will have to see.

Tony - is your husky the same as mine with the metal flap that folds down to hold the free spool lever engaged? they seemed to think that was a commercial HD version of husky - i thought they were all like that.

Tim - have emailed you for me address would be grateful of the schematic - many thanks

awaiting some prices on parts for the warn and will do that myself.

Tony - is your husky the same as mine with the metal flap that folds down to hold the free spool lever engaged? they seemed to think that was a commercial HD version of husky - i thought they were all like that.

Tim - have emailed you for me address would be grateful of the schematic - many thanks

awaiting some prices on parts for the warn and will do that myself.

James drawing re the husky on the way,, re the flap ??,, mine just has the lever,, either in or out,, no flap !!

Tim

James drawing re the husky on the way,, re the flap ??,, mine just has the lever,, either in or out,, no flap !!

Tim

My Husky doesn't have the lift up flap over the free spool lever either [May 1990 build] see pic below

IMG_0310.jpg

there's no brake, it's a worm gear drive, that's why it holds well :D

James, I'd seriosuly consider looking at an 8274. They're not cheap but there are some good deals on at the moment. IMHO its far better suited to the sort of thing you'll be doing with it. As your XD is fairly new it should get a decent price on ebay.

Ralph,

there is a brake in the form of two sacrifical lumps (?) that stop the drum rotating on momentum apparantly, they are on the diagram for it as well. once the momentum has been taken out the the worm holds it.

that is what i was told anyway but i dont understand it as the drum is directly attached to the worm so how can the drum keep rotating with momentum once the worm has stopped? worms go way only.

• 2 weeks later...

and the result:

Warn XD £200 on replacement parts now fixed and refitted, also sold (!) 8274 0n its way (hopefully)

Husky : David Bwoyer had it for a week and end result:

Bowmotor

new clutch housing

replacement drum

replacement drive shaft

brakes changed

freespool lever replaced

plus lubs, labour, gaskets and just about everything else. etc

Apparantly mine was an old commercial one with slower gearing than std. and was on its last legs. the motor literally fell apart when it was removed (hence the new one) the gears had worn on the edges as the free spool had become loose (housing worn) hence the replacement drum

The only problem on refitting it all is that my the replacement drum is smaller than the original and the rear rope doesnt fit in it, so have changed ropes front to back and seems to be sorted although front rope is now too long for XD drum really (8274 will sort that)

One point to note is that the fairlead is designed to go on the front of the husky housing. with my setup the fairlead is attached to the rear cross member and the winch is bolted to an inverted U welded to the chassis. this can allow the drum to separate slightly under heavy loads. (apparantly) so i am now using two fairleads on the front of the Husky the other on the rear crossmember. should overcome that problem with luck.

Anyway all sorted now and bank bal taken hell of a battering....................

At least it passed its MOT today.

Ouch! wow im glad we stuck with the PTO after all then, even breaking that wasn't that expensive, compared to your bill, just being poor students we moan a lot more than other people do.

Hope the winches won't require any work now for a very long time, im sure you'll put them to good use next weekend. :)

See you at Severn Sisters

Jon