Post up all those that have portal axles

MogLite

My turn,

Me, me, can I throw my thoughts at this topic now??

Aw Please, please, I want to say something - can I?

Truely?

Alrighty then.

I believe in putting my foot down with a firm hand, so I side with "no rules & no classes" brigade!

Over the last 5 years the events organised under the AFC & TFC & etc have followed the "no classes" and no restrictions philosophy.

No clear advantage has been shown at all by any particular "oddball" or down right wierd modification to the vehicles. It has not deterred those with limited resources or standard vehicles from entry.

As I cast my eye over the entry list I see vehicles worth almost nothing when they started, and even less when they finished, to some worth 10's of thousands (50k+). Guess what, it don't make a rat's do-dah of a difference come the end of the event!

The results sheet proves it conclusively.

Believe me, we have seen them all - Mog axles, 4 wheel steering, Volvo axles, short ones , long ones, fat ones and thin ones!

This years event was won by 2 fairly standard, elderly, Land Rover vehicles.

Evolve all you want - it is the driver, winchman & evil minded organisers that will have the final word.

Andy Thomlinson.

p.s. - I just love my portals!

Yer yer Mr T we will see :P

You through ya worst at us & it took 11 minutes :P Make sure its harder next time sweaty ;)

Back to Tay next month with a working truck this time maybe :rolleyes:

Anyway back to the original Thread does 2 front portal count :)

Did you survive the first day - NO.

Did you take your sorry excuse of a vehicle home while the rest were still playing - YES.

Fancy portal axles with 4 wheel steer, big fat tyres (and driver) - failed miserably to defend your title.

It took me less than 11 minutes to break your team mates toy - by the way, please tell him that it is a rule to remove all rubbish brought on to the section and that includes broken bits, like the bearing carrier from his CV WE found while cleaning up his mess!

It was easy to see the sections you managed to do by following the assorted trail of scrap through the trees. Windscreen glass, body bits, the list just goes on.

Go buy real vehicles then come back to play!!!!

Andy-T.

Maxidrive do the bolt-on drop boxes for rover axles, but the price? :blink:

Also portals gearing reduces stress on the axles so they don't have to be so strong anyway.

Richard

Not any more they don't

Mal has stopped making them

Not enough demand

trouble is..... what was a cheap form of motorsport which most people could compete in fairly cheaply... IE standard 90 fitted with MT's..... and therefore alot of people can afford to do it.

as people are spending more and more on their vehicles,it then puts off mr family man from doing it, because they cannot compete realisticaly against them..... and in the end the sport slowly dies apart from those with long pockets.

ive seen it happen with alot of other sports over the years.

just a thought.

Totally Agree.

But here in Aus they have the tight Ar*e challenge. Where you have to buy a 4x4 and have it ready to challenge for $10,000 (thats about £4000). Which i think is a good idea and good bit of fun. Brings it back to off road driving skills

Totally Agree.

But here in Aus they have the tight Ar*e challenge. Where you have to buy a 4x4 and have it ready to challenge for $10,000 (thats about £4000). Which i think is a good idea and good bit of fun. Brings it back to off road driving skills

Ali - how do they police the spending limit? Do they work it out, do they ask for receipts, or is it on the honour system?

Ali - how do they police the spending limit? Do they work it out, do they ask for receipts, or is it on the honour system?

You have to have receipts (or at least everything itemised down). But also worked on the basis that everyone knows how much cars are worth and tryes and winches. So if you turn up with a pair of Warn high mounts and BFG Krawlers on a 2 year old truck on portals (as maxi drive portals were $15000 a set) then you are well over the limit :)

Cool, that means I could probably enter the 109 then :P I love this budget off-roading :D

Don't get too excited Jon. You'll still have to be able to drive it :D:D:D:D:D

But joking aside. that is the whole point. The cheaper you make a truck with all the bits the better. So it is not just a case of throwing a truck and cheque book at a company to build you a truck.

Also stops the companies entering trucks as they are not interested in doing it .

Don't get too excited Jon. You'll still have to be able to drive it :D:D:D:D:D

But joking aside. that is the whole point. The cheaper you make a truck with all the bits the better. So it is not just a case of throwing a truck and cheque book at a company to build you a truck.

Also stops the companies entering trucks as they are not interested in doing it .

Does the cost include labour ??????

& what if you did some dodgy deal on bits or Ebayed it ?????

The way people cheat during events god knows what it would be like the police a build cost B)

Did you survive the first day - NO.

Did you take your sorry excuse of a vehicle home while the rest were still playing - YES.

Fancy portal axles with 4 wheel steer, big fat tyres (and driver) - failed miserably to defend your title.

It took me less than 11 minutes to break your team mates toy - by the way, please tell him that it is a rule to remove all rubbish brought on to the section and that includes broken bits, like the bearing carrier from his CV WE found while cleaning up his mess!

It was easy to see the sections you managed to do by following the assorted trail of scrap through the trees. Windscreen glass, body bits, the list just goes on.

Go buy real vehicles then come back to play!!!!

Andy-T.

As i said yer yer old timer :P Agreed mine broke but it broke on the road before actually & if i hadnt been going so fast on your country side ramble maybe the gearbox would of lasted & not got so hot B)

As for parts well as a RR owner youself i would of thought you would of noticed that all the debris left behind was from a RR not from my Bespoke hand crafted work of art !!!!

Love you baby ;)

Does the cost include labour ??????

& what if you did some dodgy deal on bits or Ebayed it ?????

The way people cheat during events god knows what it would be like the police a build cost B)

I have not been and done one yet. So i have not read the whole rules ( Surprise Surprise :) ). Have them somewhere. I was lead to belive it was parts , and if you can prove you bought it cheap of ebay then fair enough

But i like the idea of the style of the event. Gets back to the skill of driving

I wonder how that would work - couldn't you just buy anything you wanted and say you got it cheap on ebay???

Al.

Sound bol***ks to me :rolleyes:

How about "MY mate at Avalanche engineering sold me an ex-demo for $10k" i got the receipt <_<

Why do people seem to think that if you have a cheap car you are a better driver ????

By that rating Coiln Mcrae etc are all carp drivers but with good cars {definatelty carp pilots though} :rolleyes:

Or if youve got a 12" cock you are carp in bed :D Just mean you can get further in the **** before you run out of travel if you ask me :huh:

Why do people seem to think that if you have a cheap car you are a better driver ????

I don't think that's exactly the case - it's just that with a blinged up truck you've got to get it that much further before anyone is impressed with your driving. My truck is a foot taller than a standard one, so driving through water a foot deeper than anyone else doesn't mean anything other than my truck's taller then theirs.

I don't think that's exactly the case - it's just that with a blinged up truck you've got to get it that much further before anyone is impressed with your driving.

why waste effort worrying what anyone else thinks? it never gets you anywhere other than in a flock.... f'k that

do whatever you please, doesnt matter if you build it, pay for it, rent it or pay someone else to rent it after they've paid to build it on a rental erm.... you know what I mean. ;)

How small and light? Volvos are pretty light for a portal axle.

The 'problem' is that they are generally designed for larger vehicles - so you generally find they are heavier.

If you mean ultra light - i.e. something that would fit on a single-seat buggy, then no. Not to my knowledge.

In theory the torque reduction at the hub enables you to use smaller, lighter shafts and diffs, but in practice you just don't see that happening.

The smallest Mogs are 401s, which are like narrowed 404s. Sadly the gearing and structure of the protals necessarily adds weight, and tends to require more from your axle housings too. Though of course you can hybridise / narrow them.

I guess the lightest around is the Portal tek flavour. But I'm not sure of the all up weight - at least you could use aluminium / magnesium Ford 9 thirds and stuff to keep the weight 'reasonable'.

Al.

:)

P.S. - sorry, loads of posting at the same time! Not familiar with the Gaz jobbers - any idea of the mass Jez?

ahh good point Bish - Ive been thinking about getting some........ :lol:

yes Corrode - Gaz do a nice lightweight set. about $1000 USD per pair brand new, ex-works in St Petersberg

Are they any good, ie if they were to be used under a 'smaller' vehicle, like a SJ for example?

Jez, is that yank dollars? That would make them about 50p with the current exchange rate..... well £500? :o