4-link defender

russ1

You could do a lot worse than looking at what Pete's done - Jonny Joints are fairly cheap and work pretty well.

Nth degree mobility gyro joints are another option although I've heard these need a fair amount of work to make them perform as they should.

I personally like the X-joint - I've got some reserved for when the first batch are ready. IMHO they're a very elegant solution.

Hmmmm :huh:

Do you really what to go through the amount of work cost and complexity of a 4 link rear ????

There is a huge amount of improvemtn you can gain on the rear for a fraction of the 4 link time cost complexity scenario, all the more so when the front end is the one which is a real piggy to get to flex better over std. IMHO you may be better turning your attebntion to the front axle end and serious mods and costs as the rear can be made much better easily and cheaply.

Its no use IMHO have shed loads of flex at the rear and not have it even close to matched at the front end ?

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Nige

Nige

You say there is loads ov things you can do to the rear insted of the 4 link way. Can you shed some light on these as i am open 2 all ideas.

Will

Am trying to come up with different ideas for the setup you showed me just to solve the a-frame problem.

Thanks again ppl

Nige

You say there is loads ov things you can do to the rear insted of the 4 link way. Can you shed some light on these as i am open 2 all ideas.

Will

Am trying to come up with different ideas for the setup you showed me just to solve the a-frame problem.

Thanks again ppl

Match springs for pundage and length for ride height.

Cranked arms, disc / relocating cones,

raise top mounts and fit huegly longer shocks,

make the washers like a saucer shape rather than flat, fit X-joints / better A frame joint,

or even rose joint, reduce bump stop heights, raise up wheel boxes etc etc

The front is a much more tricky prob to get around, 3 link is one options as many have done - I looked but decided against for a raft of reasons - mainly the high risk with road use seeing too many hedges too close :lol:

Nige

Actually, you already have a 4 link really. Jusr because the toplinks use the same joint, doesnt make it work any different. So I cant see much point to change, unless you really need massive travel, but as said before, start looking at the front first.

Daan

I already am runing most of them things, I have bought the mx6 dampers from will and am looking into making somthing with big travel.

I have Cranked arms, disc / relocating cones, of the d44 kind, ome springs and dampers.

The design Will has shown me looks really good but its the a-frame thats limiting the setup so i need to get around this. will be using all the stuff above but will be replacing the dampers with the longer travel mx6.

Thanks again for all your ideas.

I already am runing most of them things, I have bought the mx6 dampers from will and am looking into making somthing with big travel.

I have Cranked arms, disc / relocating cones, of the d44 kind, ome springs and dampers.

The design Will has shown me looks really good but its the a-frame thats limiting the setup so i need to get around this. will be using all the stuff above but will be replacing the dampers with the longer travel mx6.

Thanks again for all your ideas.

OME springs will mean for pure flex it will be oversprung dampers will limit even more

MX6 dampers have less travel available than +5 Procomp stds

STD A Frame ball joint locks at 17.5-18 degrees travle, other ball joints can get you to 22 degrees, X_Eng do something too

The front is the issue !

Nige

Been look9ing at this and the front IS the problem,the rear can be made to flex,just look at the X eng site for there springs etc.

Been looking at using the rear A arm on the front with somw home made arms eta or a full 4/5 link.

Engine gets in the way mostly so big lift is needed from what i can see to give some room.

I've found some stuff on t'internet like this 4 link

Loads of info around.

Petes set up looks great on the 90.

Engine gets in the way mostly so big lift is needed from what i can see to give some room.

Mine clears the engine with no lift

When I was evaluating potential suspension designs for the front there was space for 1 link and panhard, three link and panhard (even with upper third), four link and panhard (five link), upside down four link, and the upside down four link/A frame thing I've got