Defender 200tdi engine and parts?

Bit of an enquiry at this stage, Im looking to put a 200tdi into my 90 at some stage in the future, I would really prefer a defender engine to a disco one.

How much do they go for - id obviously need the engine, anciliries, rad and intercooler, airbox, all the pipework etc etc - ie enough to allow me to do a straight swap with my existing 2.5nad

I currently dont have the space at home to that level of work on the 90 so it would be loaded up with all the parts, driven to a mates farm and hopefully everything swapped over in a day or so - hence wanting all the parts there and worst case if a part is broken or something its an easy trip to the nearest dealer to get a replacement without having to make / modify parts.

Im assuming that the tdi rad etc will drop in or do I still need to mod the mountings like when using the disco rad etc?

anything else I should watch out for? Im assuming I'll still need to swap the back plates over or drill and tap etc as per the disco swap?? or not with the defender version?

Cheers

Nice thanks,

as the 200tdi will no doubt have a PAS pump fitted what would be involved in fitting PAS while Im at it - and while I have a nice big hole in the engine bay to access everything...

again using standard defender parts if poss.

my 90 is a 1988 ex military spec so no PAS and no power hence thinking about swapping from the NAD.

Cheers

The PAS box out of the Disco donor was absolutely OK in my '86 110, so I'd say yes. Only difference is that the steering rods are different. Can maybe be solved by switching over the steering arm, but as these can be a bugger to get off, I simply took the rod from the Disco and made a bracket for the steering damper (also from the Disco).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You should check out the 200tdi swap 'bible' that Les Hanson did. Very informative on what is involved. Maybe not as much fabrication required but still gives you a feel for what to expect.

Even with a defender version, I would have thought that it would take longer than a day to swap over!

There are always the small tedious jobs that seem to take forever!! The engine swap itself could take a morning i would have thought.

Ive just 'completed' a disco 200tdi swap into my 110N/A ExMod.

Ref your thoughts of the powersteering. I only fitted powersteering as i couldnt be bothered with trying to remove the pump and alter the alternator etc. I didnt really have a problem with the manual box.

My experience is this, make sure the box is sound. Replace the bottom seal if necessary whilst out. If you can lay your hands on the steering box, make sure they come with bolts as the manual bolts wont work. You may also need the other two bolts that hold the box on. (Again different).

Look into the possibility of replacing all ball joints inc drop arm one. The new increased power will kill your old ones in no time. I actually used the old drop arm of my manual box to put on the powersteering box(4 bolt). But it is a b...h to remove!

Personally if you have the time/expertise i would go for a disco install. They are going quite cheap at the moment too. With all the fabrication required, the main problem in my mind is the turbo outlet and steve parker sells some bit to help out here. He also sells a air & water hose kit although i have no experience of either. The disco engines are much much cheaper, more powerful and hopefully led an easier life.

(The disco powersteering pump is different to the defender version with different outlets).

With either swap, dont forget to purchase things before hand like clutch kit, clutch fork, filters, oil, water, engine mounts. (Again les lists these bits he recommends replacing).

Oh is it worth a timing belt change??

One thing i forgot about is the transfer box gearing. The 110 now needs a higher ratio output to allow a low rpm cruising speed. Check Ashcrofts website regarding transfer boxes and you should be able to work out what you have fitted.

Other things for a later date is to improve braking power. I am fitting grooved disc, ebc pads and braided hoses as a start. You could fit a disc braked rear axle as well. Definitely recommend the braided hoses though. Worth every penny.

I loved my N/A diesel but wow, the tdi is just great. Before, acceleration? What acceleration?? Now i am conteplating overtaking!!

Hope my input gives food for thought.

Check out. Just remember some refer to 200tdi disco versions.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=285&hl=

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2490&hl=

Cheers.

Well, went to several hydralics type places and no where had one, had to buy a new pump to get the part so that I could take pics and compare etc, just hoping I can find one so I can take teh £130 pump back and get my money back on it..

Heres the part, the dimensions are the diameter of the sections of the bolt (not the length) hopefully the link will work

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_phot...photo=112042442

Anyone got one or a used PAS pump that I can buy?

Hi Monster cheers for the links etc but Ive already done the conversion using a defender engine its just this one last piece that I need.

Thanks

Hi,

You should check out the 200tdi swap 'bible' that Les Hanson did. Very informative on what is involved. Maybe not as much fabrication required but still gives you a feel for what to expect.

Even with a defender version, I would have thought that it would take longer than a day to swap over!

There are always the small tedious jobs that seem to take forever!! The engine swap itself could take a morning i would have thought.

Ive just 'completed' a disco 200tdi swap into my 110N/A ExMod.

Ref your thoughts of the powersteering. I only fitted powersteering as i couldnt be bothered with trying to remove the pump and alter the alternator etc. I didnt really have a problem with the manual box.

My experience is this, make sure the box is sound. Replace the bottom seal if necessary whilst out. If you can lay your hands on the steering box, make sure they come with bolts as the manual bolts wont work. You may also need the other two bolts that hold the box on. (Again different).

Look into the possibility of replacing all ball joints inc drop arm one. The new increased power will kill your old ones in no time. I actually used the old drop arm of my manual box to put on the powersteering box(4 bolt). But it is a b...h to remove!

Personally if you have the time/expertise i would go for a disco install. They are going quite cheap at the moment too. With all the fabrication required, the main problem in my mind is the turbo outlet and steve parker sells some bit to help out here. He also sells a air & water hose kit although i have no experience of either. The disco engines are much much cheaper, more powerful and hopefully led an easier life.

(The disco powersteering pump is different to the defender version with different outlets).

With either swap, dont forget to purchase things before hand like clutch kit, clutch fork, filters, oil, water, engine mounts. (Again les lists these bits he recommends replacing).

Oh is it worth a timing belt change??

One thing i forgot about is the transfer box gearing. The 110 now needs a higher ratio output to allow a low rpm cruising speed. Check Ashcrofts website regarding transfer boxes and you should be able to work out what you have fitted.

Other things for a later date is to improve braking power. I am fitting grooved disc, ebc pads and braided hoses as a start. You could fit a disc braked rear axle as well. Definitely recommend the braided hoses though. Worth every penny.

I loved my N/A diesel but wow, the tdi is just great. Before, acceleration? What acceleration?? Now i am conteplating overtaking!!

Hope my input gives food for thought.

Check out. Just remember some refer to 200tdi disco versions.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=285&hl=

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2490&hl=

Cheers.

how much will postage be on it? just cover that and i will post it to you pm me or send me an email with your address and i will post it to you (we swapped landys a couple of years ago my 110 v8 for your 90) cheers Dan

Hi mate,

Small world lol, is the 90 still going?

I sold the 110 (kinda regret it still as it was a good truck) but I have this ex mod 90 now that Ive just done the PAS and 200tdi swap on :-)

I'll send you a PM with my address, can I pay you paypal? in which case do you reckon you can get it in the post tomorrow? be cool to have it by Friday or Saturday latest so I can get the 90 finished off properly :-)

Cheers

Ben

the 90 is a long story started stripping it to put a v8 in and a m8 rolled his 90 so sold it to him for spares! anyway send me your address and will post it off tomoz will let you know about postage just send me a cheque/paypal whatevers easyist should only be a couple of quid(never posted anything misses deals with ebay and all that)