24V alternator Question

Hendrik

I want to use a 24V alternator on the challenge truck to supply the winch batteries, what kind of alternator do you guys recommend? Any Land rover parts available? Or use an alternator from a Patrol, etc?

How many Amps. should it give? to supply 2 2150 Odyssey batteries with 3 winches...

Thanks!

H.

I want to use a 24V alternator on the challenge truck to supply the winch batteries, what kind of alternator do you guys recommend? Any Land rover parts available? Or use an alternator from a Patrol, etc?

How many Amps. should it give? to supply 2 2150 Odyssey batteries with 3 winches...

Thanks!

H.

We use an 80 amp 24v unit this unit is not to big to become cumbersome and yet producing oddles of wiggly amps :D

You will not find a Landrover unit that does this. This alternater was sourced due to the fact that it is a common fitment to many light trucks and as thus easily repaired replaced worldwide.

We have them in stock if you are intrested,

Jim :)

We use an 80 amp 24v unit this unit is not to big to become cumbersome and yet producing oddles of wiggly amps :D

You will not find a Landrover unit that does this. This alternater was sourced due to the fact that it is a common fitment to many light trucks and as thus easily repaired replaced worldwide.

We have them in stock if you are intrested,

I'm fitting a 90 amp FFR job. They've got loads of power and are cheap but they're a little on the large side....

Keep it simple.............

If you are using single motor units this alternater and those batteries will last for ever with no problems and no need for lots of mathes.

If your using Twins then again same answer, unless of course you are banging 24v through 12v motors in which case, either lots of testing or mathes required :lol:

Again , keep it simple :)

If you are using single motor units this alternater and those batteries will last for ever with no problems and no need for lots of mathes.

Forever? Wow! That's impressive...

I didn't realise some basic arithmetic would count as lots of maths... surely taking a figure for current draw, battery capacity and alt output isn't rocket science and would provide a useful idea of how long you can winch before the voltage drops to a certain level?

Fridge,

Stop being a pain in the arse :lol: even if he cares to work it out, the end result will be the same, you will hold your finger on the trigger come what may.

However in 99% pf situations that will NEVER be a problem.

And that 1% per cent, Ladoga perhaps? :lol:

Lewis, he is talking about fitting that to a 200, in which case that belt is a very REAL problem, As i'm sure you are aware anything more than 120 12v on V belts gets a bit touch and go :(

Hendrik is running a 3.9 probably with a serpintine belt so no problem there............ :D

Lewis, he is talking about fitting that to a 200, in which case that belt is a very REAL problem, As i'm sure you are aware anything more than 120 12v on V belts gets a bit touch and go :(

Hendrik is running a 3.9 probably with a serpintine belt so no problem there............ :D

So Hendrik could run something with greater output than the one you sell without fear of slip then?

Regarding Vee belts, I dont pretend to know a great deal on the matter but quoting someone far more intelligent and experienced than myself:

As a rule of thumb, you can stick 10Hp through a 13mm V belt without it complaining too much. That's 7.5kw

A typical AC pump can take 10Hp to drive - Although many have two belts, many do not.

120A is only 2.4kw. Even if the alternator were only 60% efficient, that's still only 4kw worth of mechanical drive.

From this thread

If you were using the Air con mounting point on a disco 200 then you would be using a single belt driving nothing else. Therefore a 160amp 12v alt is within the capacity of the belt.

Can someone who knows more than me clarify whether an 80amp 24v alt requires the same amount of drive as a 160amp 12v alt? Does it even work like that?

I do not claim to be an expert on anything ever :P but when I asked my local alternator chap if he'd swap a poly-V for a normal V on my 140A alt he flatly refused saying it would melt the V belt in no time. If you look round the scrapyard there's not much over 80-90A that isn't poly-V, whether that's due to the general move to serpentine belts or down to the power requirements I don't know.

I would imagine a 24V alt would be a bit more efficient at high current but only a smidgen, mainly due to lower losses due to the reduced current for the same power output. Generally, the higher the voltage, the lower the transmission losses for the same transmitted power due to ohm's law and all that unnecessary mathematics nonsense. I doubt the unit would be any more mechanically efficient in the conversion of rotation to electricities, it's just that less gets lost in the wire between alt & battery.

The number quoted above must assume perfect world which is often not the case ......................

However, it is not unusual for trucks and marine installations to run 24V 220 amp alternators (and multiples of) from poly V belts ............ so yes, Hendrik will be absolutely fine with this arrangement .................. but he still has too many winches :lol:

for big boys alternators look here .........http://www.emarineinc.com/products/alternators/series24.html

and this crowd have some good info on belts etc.......http://www.medwaypt.co.uk/download.htm

:)

Ian

V belts just don't cut it when big alternaters are used.

Poor Simon Wilkenson at the Euro, twin V belts and he still knackered them with a 100/120 amp alt?

We fiind that anything over 100 mark really does need a serpentine belt for reliability.

Nothing flash, just simple common sense.

We are currently playing with very big alternaters and these require toothed belts :huh:

Now that is getting serious :D

hehe, chains have thier pros and cons - it would seem that leccy winches are starting to reach a point where they have common ground with hydros in terms of harvesting enough power from the engine.

the world isnt so different :P

It would appear not :lol:

However going back to the orginal question...................

Hendrik, If you need a bigger alternator and don't want to spend ages looking...................

We have one of the type we use (and rate very highly) available if required :)

Others are available :lol: from a multitude of different sources and places

Happy hunting.

Anybody else actually got answer this guy can use? :P Like where to get an Alternater or which one?

Open the flood gates of cheap available Alternaters, and give this guy some help?

I beleive that is what he is after, not an old mothers tea party :rolleyes:

Jim :lol:

Hi Hendrik,

don't know how to do linky thing but there is a thread on here somewhere from Petergg showing his 36v alt install ....this was a 24v upped to 36v nominal.. I think it has such luxuries as greasable bearings too

..certainly works well B) . As for sourcing Ithink these are fitted to coachs etc but might be wrong.....coach alternators are made up to 300a + @24v, chunky tho.

cheers

Steveb