electric drill

gav-

I have a pillar drill but i need a portable drill (corded 240v) for drilling through metal, upto 4mm thickness. From my knowledge, i need a slowish drill to drill through mild steel. I had an old electric drill which was too fast. any suggestions??

I just purchased a Bosch drill at the weekend, a PSE1000RPE - 1000W, variable speed, decent size chuck, first thing i did was drill 2 2" holes in my rear winch crossmember with it, performed flawlessly.

Cost about £80 from homebase.

problem with the bosch drills is that they limit the power of the drill as opposed to gearing the speed down. Therefore you can either have a hgh speed high power drill or a low speed low power drill. It's not ideal!

I have a 1400watt corded drill and it is so powerful that i can't hold it still then the bit catches- the drill almost breaks my wrist it's so powerful.

I have had a couple of 600 watt drills (one was a bosch), variable speed with keyless chucks. Not the best bit of kit for thicker steel, the variable speed reduces the torque and the keyless chuck loses its grip after a while.

I am now using one of those big SDS hammer drills which came with a key chuck and a 2 speed gearbox. Very heavy but much more controllable, excellent around the house too, cost £50 upwards..

I use a SDS cheapo one purchased from aldi couple of years back for about ~£20

use blacksmith drills for getting though thick plates about 6mm, set does up to 1 inch holes

drill a pilot hole first using 6mm drill

Yes i know about when the drill jams while breaking though, i use a bar over the handle to get proper grip nor will i hold the speed on lock

we use hilti drills a bit dear but they last. had one for 12yrs drilled holes in any thing from enginering bricks to 12mm thick RSJ . bought new one last year £120.00 + vat

cant fault them can be repaired easy too