4x4Adventures Winch Challenge

JST

Another excellent event. Many thanks to James and the Marshals.

Our day started a bit slow with breaking the front winch rope twice, And loosing the lockers before we had managed to get a punch. Re spliced the rope and found a blown fuse was the problem with the lockers but seemed to take a while to settle down. By lunch things were going much much better, The Twin motors on the 8274 are quite simply awesome, It just pulls and pulls without sign of slowing. Very pleased with it, Just need one for the back now :D :D. Many thanks to Jim (Gigglepin 4x4) for all the support and help getting the winch on there in time. A few other small issues with a spring that decided to keep dislocating and also getting wedged half way through between the trees on the entrance to punch No1 for 45mins but nothing to major.

I think I speak on behalf of all the welsh lads (Kris, Craig, Mark and myself) when I say many thanks to James for a year of some of the most enjoyable events we've been too with an friendly, atmosphere thats second to none. Its a shame I couldn't make it to a few more but I'm already planning time off to be sure to get to every one in 2008.

Its a great credit to James that he has used this site a few times this year but every single time has found a way to change things enough and use new areas in ways to keep it fresh and different for each event.

A few Pic's.

My truck before start.

post-1274-1196030790_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030858_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030883_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030905_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030928_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030948_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030967_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196030981_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196031001_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196031017_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196031033_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1196031049_thumb.jpg

That water hole was decievingly deep in places , We went to turn in to get the opposite punch and ended up on our side in the water , the water was at shoulder level in the drivers seat , and it was Fu,Fu, Fu, Freezing .

I wouldnt of minded but it was 1030 am and I had gotten soaked first thing . It was funny , realy all the spare gloves were floating around in the cab .

That water hole was decievingly deep in places , We went to turn in to get the opposite punch and ended up on our side in the water , the water was at shoulder level in the drivers seat , and it was Fu,Fu, Fu, Freezing .

I wouldnt of minded but it was 1030 am and I had gotten soaked first thing . It was funny , realy all the spare gloves were floating around in the cab .

I only just got the heel of my boot damp! :D

My first event down south, very well organised and laid out, Got to say a BIG thanks to bob smith (tree bloke) for all his help and advice over the weekend and for keeping me on 4 wheels when needed! Going to make a few changes for next year, looking forward to it! Didnt do too much damage, snapped a winch rope, dented a wing, and lost a wireless winch remote, did anyone find one? Lost it in Widcombe Moor somwhere!

I know Bob (Treebloke) and James took quite a few, and both been busy over the weekend with one thing and another , but sure they will some them when a change arrives :blink::ph34r:

Got a few pics and will post em when I get 5 mins. Got two CV,s to repair and a few other bits but I guess everyone else has to.

The Mrs has washed the three land rovers today bless her. Her hands have turned a brown leather glove colour. Only took her 6 hours. We have this thing where I get em dirty and she gets em clean again, she'sa little boster.

Enjoyed sunday more than saturday mainly because I didnt break anything sunday.

a V8 as you would expect it to be..... especially Ian's and he wasn't even near Ians bog - and don't worry i wont tell anyone that Ian's bog swallowed your car keys and you had to get the spares brought up......

post-53-1196104454_thumb.jpg

Enjoyed sunday more than saturday mainly because I didnt break anything sunday.

Not saying i did not enjoy Saturday.. but i know what you mean Bob,, the list is mounting for Sat, not a scratch Sunday, (that's noticeable :rolleyes: )

Our uncle Albert took most of the day steam cleaner the rangie !!

Competitors should all have an email with the results by now (excel sheets) except Kevin Saunders whose writing i cant read for the email address on the entry form!!

A very cold start to the day with ice on some of the water sections had all the makings of things being interesting! Exactly as Jason Farr from Team OEC found out, as despite being a driver he was drenched from shoulder to toe by 1030! Some of the water was a little deeper than expected!

For the least event of the season we went for a slightly different layout this time around. The course was split over three main areas and competitors were given an information sheet at Scrutineering showing the punch areas on a map with guidance and directions to the locations. This in itself proved testing enough for some with map reading skills being a thing of the past!

With 16 cars turning out for the day we had a good spread of competitors and experience in each of the three classes with some new to us competitors as well. Kevin Saunders and Ben Wild joined us from Bristol and West Off Road Club in standard class along with David White in his well prepared white V8 90. Despite not having a winch Ben put in a sterling effort and achieved 7 punches putting him 12th overall and 6th in class – not bad at all! Jonathon Mortimor and Dominic Rower also joined us with their traybacked 110 for the first time up from Dorset 4x4 in Std+1 class, despite having some rope issues early on they continued throughout the day putting in a great effort. Ian Moulsdale and Simon Parsons also came along from the day, again in standard class they both put in sterling efforts achieving some difficult technical punches whilst finding their feet for the style of event.

Competition regulars Steve Gittins and Mark Morgan (Team Gigglepin) returned sporting a Gigglepin twin motor top housing for their front 8274 and having seen it working in Ians bog and don’t think anyone could fail to be impressed, its smooth and very fast, ideal for competition use, if only they were running one on the rear as well! Steve and Mark were keen to Team OEC (Jason Farr and Paul Milsom) a good run for their money and were the two likely contenders for the first modified place. Both are running traybacked 90s with the usual assortment of Challenged additions, Boggers or Simex, ARBs, Ashcrofts shafts and CVs, and cages. Whilst well prepared to get the vehicle through the terrain and protect the occupants I think a little more prep, or even fitting some door seals would have helped them stay dryer in the day!!!

Dan Need and Ian Stokes returned after missing some of the summer events to give Paul Radford a run for his money in Std class, unfortunately Paul had to retire early although David White soon filled the mantle to fight it through to the end. Dan and Ian achieved 20 punches on the day, and excellent result for a std car although David was close behind with 17.

With more taped off sections and some new areas to contend with even the Wellington regulars found more than enough to keep themselves amused. Tim Jones with new codriver Charles Bishop had some interesting predicaments throughout the day, with Tim’s new to him (Nick Walkers orange traybacked) Rangie nearly going over very early on punch 6. Tim had a few issues later in the day with two flats and two broken shafts although still managed a very creditable 3rd in class.

With great camaraderie, team work and fairness displayed amongst the competitors there was a fantastic atmosphere and our thanks goes to all those who have supported us throughout the year.

Our sincere thanks goes to the Marshalls; Shaun Houghton,Mark Booth, Ian Gildersleeve, Kevin Williams, Simon Elvins and Keith Knight for their help, and fairness and assistance in clearing the site. The day couldn’t happen without these keen volunteers.

Our thanks also goes to Anton from OEC International for supplying a stock of well priced spares pack to keep the competitors in the game should they have trouble on the day.

Next year will see the launch of a joint OEC International and X-Eng sponsored Challenge series; registration will be available through our website from January 2008.

Results:

Modified

1st – 3437 - Team Gigglepin (Steve Gittins and Mark Morgan)

2nd – 2987 – Team OEC (Jase Farr and Paul Milsom)

3rd - Tim Jones and Charles Bishop

4th - Pete Mitchel and Adrian Pike

5th – Bert Smith and Dan Smith

6th - Graeme Mitchell and Rob Langley

Standard +1

1st – 3067 - David Webber and Adrian Pope

2nd – 1667 - Jon Mortimor and Dominic Rowe

3rd – Bob and Dawn Smith

Standard

1st – 1745 - Dan Need and Ian Stokes

2nd - 1145 – David and Steve White

3rd – 995 - Simon Parsons and Chris Solway

4th – Ian Moulsdale and Ryan Price

5th – Kevin Saunder and D Nuun

6th – Ben Wild and Alex Hardie

7th – Paul Radford and Josh Jacobs

post-53-1196109036_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109049_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109055_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109063_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109073_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109085_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109098_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109111_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109124_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109139_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109149_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109163_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109177_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109190_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109200_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109211_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109229_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109239_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109249_thumb.jpg

post-53-1196109262_thumb.jpg

Sorry no winch remote found do you know roughly by which punch or which area it went walkies? Widecombe is pretty big to check the whole lot!

i had a look around for it, but never found it, just wondering if anyone did stumble over it! it was where you came back on your self along the road, them there was the punch on the right in the bog that had a funny angled entrance to it, after the right hand corner!

James , Shaun Houghton ??? He deserves a mention surely . :(

Like I said earlier and I think we all agree that for the last 2 years we have been doing your challenges and each one is outstanding , especialy saturdays one , I like the new sections , even the early bath , I dont think door seals would of helped me there , the water came up over the door , Shame no one was around to get a piccy , Im suprised no one heard Lardy laughing .

BTW ,James I lost a packet of polos in the bottom of that pool , If you could have a look in there for me next time your there !! :rolleyes:

Sorry - i forgot to add Shaun Houghton to the Marhsalls list - thank you Shaun (i cant edit above) plus i forgot him on the last evet writeup as well and he therefore didnt make it into LRM so apologies Shaun - Sorry.

Jase - i will bear that in mind ref the polos, maybe Lardy can look next time his truck is in there.....

Tim - X-Shaft dropped off this am.

Thanks James, did not work though , but worth a try :angry:

Anyone with a tip how to get 10 spline halfshafts ends out , before the diffs are pulled, both front and rear shorts :unsure:

Tim,

When Myself and Nick did the last one at 7S(rear Long), we ended up pulling the diff, the end of the shaft had disintegated in the diff and took a lump hammer and a long bit of steel from the other end to dislodge it :(

Thanks James, did not work though , but worth a try :angry:

Anyone with a tip how to get 10 spline halfshafts ends out , before the diffs are pulled, both front and rear shorts :unsure:

The answer is that you have to stop and remove them immediately rather than driving around all day mullering the bits. :P

Chris