Calling PUMA Defender owners...

24000 miles probably one of the highest mileage ones!

1. No mechanical problems

2. No bodywork problems

3. 34mpg

4. 70 mile commute every day

Definate progress as far as I'm concerned

1. Grease UJ's every 3k

2. Change engine oil every 6k

3. Change all transmission lubricants every 12k

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

34mpg! Wow :o I only get 27 - and that's with a light foot. I don't do high mileage, however, so maybe it would be better on longer runs (although I still get 27 when trawling up the motorway at 70).

No real issues with mine so far. Glad to hear you've had a good one too.

I've had mine since early April and have done 22,000km since then, 60% on tar and 40% on dirt or off road

Issues:

1) Door seals all replaced under warranty, made no difference whatsoever to the quantity of dust that comes in (hasn't rained since I've had it, but I assume there will be significant water ingress when it does). Doors not really aligned properly which is the main issue, can see daylight under one rear door, and the front passenger door whistles above 100kph

2) Hose blew off the PAS pump and destroyed the pump, replaced under warranty.

3) Vacuum pump sprayed the inside of the bonnet with oil - replaced under warranty (the 4th that the dealer here has done so far on Pumas).

4) Front brake binding on delivery, was sorted by dealer.

5) Paintwork on the roof is pretty bad - peeling in the gutters. The rest of the paint is fine.

6) Fuel consumption is 28mpg on trips between Gaborone and Maputo. Obviously a bit worse most of the time.

7) Sundry oil leaks from gear box, sump drain plug (after an oil change, now sorted) etc make a mess where I park it...

I change the oil at 10,000km intervals rather than the 20,000km recommended in the book.

I like the defender but am not impressed that a new car needs so much attention, I would consider a 70 series cruiser :ph34r: if I would not lose so much on the trade in...

• 2 weeks later...

Mine developed a low rev, high load rattle from the bellhousing area over the summer so has just come back from having the later type clutch fitted under warranty. The clutch pedal is now much lighter and substantially more than the '08 crewcab loaner I've had the last week. They also replaced the rattling front pads and are awaiting to hear from land Rover about the rattling rears too.

• 1 year later...

It has been a year and a bit. How about a few fresh updates?

In South Africa some guys recon the TDC1 2.4 is the worst engine ever fitted to a Defender. I don't pay a lot of attention, because they said the same about the Td5, as well as the 2.8i BMW motor that was available here. That 2.8 is now known as the best petrol powered Defender ever.

Please post your comments? I would like to get one in the next few years

I have driven a few, though I don't own one. I like them a lot, if something nasty happened to my Tdi I would get one immediately. A friend of mine who is not at all famous for adopting any sort of new technology but bought one a few months back sent me a text the other week saying "don't reckon you will ever get a better rover than a Puma" ... everybody here who has got one, seems to like them.

Problems - well the air filters block up in six or seven seconds in dusty conditions, the fuel filters can only be changed with a special tool (though actually if you fill it with diesel you can get away with it mostly), clutches will be the weak point long-term and the ECU is in a stupid place. As a driver's engine it is bluddy lovely.

Up until the beginning of this year I had planned to replace mine with a new one in May. That said as mine is 'sorted' and I just don't have the time at the moment to run back and forth doing the 100 mile round trip to the nearest dealer so they can take care with the inevitable niggles, it's likely that I'll hang on to mine a bit longer.

Hi,I have just bought a tdci 90 (07) plate, collect it on Friday. Are they are ok in snow? I have a disco 1 300. Tried to get to The Braes of Glenlivet this morning where I work and managed to get within 1.5 miles before I was beaten by huge drifts. After 36 miles of 12+ inches of snow, drifts and virtually no visibility the disco performed brilliantly. I can only hope that the 90 is as good. regards, rocky

• 1 month later...

My one was great, but I sold it late last year and bought a 300TDi Camel 110. It was not because of any fault of the car. I just found that it didn't have the character of the older ones with tractor type engines. Too refined, comfortable and good working air-con. What sort of Defender is that! :lol:

As I don't use it everyday for commuting I've gone back to (what I consider) the more "landrovery" engine and spec.