Calling PUMA Defender owners...

Eduardo

We may giggle at your English but it's a 1000% better than our grasp of your native tongue. We'll all help along the way with encouragement and a little bit of :P:P .

If you don't make mistakes how are you going to learn. You're doing alright :rolleyes:

After 15,000 miles the gearbox decided to make a very bad rattling.

So since it was due for a service, took it in and got:

- New gear box

- New modified oil sump

all other service parts

came back waxed????

so far, it's been really good, but I have modified the hell out of it.....

I'd like to keep this thread on topic for the Puma owners please :angry:

Yes, but if a few newer vehicles didn't have problems, everyone couldn't feel better about having an older one.

I'd much rather have my old one still and live with problems from wear/age/design flaws now fixed in the 2007 spec. ;)

My Puma has been great. Coming up to one year and 18,000 miles.

Problems? Only two. Both times it was leaking PAS.

LR fault? Maybe not. Might have something to do with putting on modulers with thin tyres and adjusting the steering for much more lock. Both times I got the leak a day after trialling when spending some time on the (new adjusted) full lock. Maybe the system just can't work that far out without popping something. Now I allow for it, not a problem.

My impression of it? Great vehicle. Comfortable, reliable, cured many of the old Defender problems. Misty windows? Just flick on the air con and with the new side window vents the windows are clear in 10 seconds. No water leaks. (but then I'd not buy a defender with carpets now)

Only two things I don't like. The tyres they come on (soon changed to BFG ATs) and the fact that a county can't have the XS stereo option from new with MP3. Mine is a county hardtop, no XS option on a van. So both things I don't like can easily be changed. :)

Quick edit... I moved the seat back a little using MUDrails, worth it to get more space for my long legs. Mainly due to the fact that I was doing 500 miles per week in it at the time.

Ive had a couple of issues with my 08 puma now at 3000 miles.

The brake pad rattle has been sorted by the fitting of a retro fit kit,

Paintwork issues need sorting,

Water leaking into passenger footwell after heavy rain, still not sorted as dealer said rain water was a different viscosity to a hose pipe !!!!!! and couldnt make it leak.

I agree with a couple of the issues stated, carp tyres as oe (Now fitted with BFG MT's) Very poor steering lock, and a laughable radio and speaker setup.

Dash and wider seats are brilliant, 2nd row seats are a pain to get into for passengers.

Has anyone upgraded the stereo system with different speakers? If so what?

Edd

Had mine for nearly a year and so far so good (crosses fingers). Only done around 6k miles in it although it gets used every day - mostly on road.

Still have chuntering on the overrun after it is thoroughly warmed up. I suspect it is something in the handbrake mechanism (will fit an X-brake at some point in the future).

Apart from that, only real concern is 26mpg (I don't have a heavy right foot). I've noticed my steering has drifted off so that straight ahead on the wheel now turns left 1 deg (it was more severe on my old Td5). Bits of trim occasionally fall off but are easily banged back on.

Otherwise very happy - better seats, gearbox, aircon, ride... I've even got used to 1st gear!

Ross,

My is RHD and the sump was hitting also :(

Cheers!

Maybe my memory isnt so good ;)

I think the LHD only theory has been subsequently discounted, after all the propshaft etc is in the same place regardless of RHD or LHD.

are the panhards mounted opposite way round on RHD/LHD? if so would this not mean the axle moves a different direction during compression or the suspension?

My 110 XS was still fine at 14 months old and 16,000 miles. The door seals leaked when wading but I'd not had any of the other 'regular' problems.

Very pleased with it but I sold it a few months back to go towards a mortgage for my new house purchase (release of some capital and a diesel Golf for lower commuting costs).

Just the one Defender now - but based on my experience I'd have another Puma in the the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My Puma 110xs has now done 18,000 miles, worst defender I have owned to date - Some minor niggles at the start, 2 faulty ABS/ETC sensors. Clutch sticking. Poor door alinement so wind noise on the motorway but it is a defender after all and wasn't too concerned but then some real problems arose -

Faulty fuel switch, poor mpg and intermittent throttle response - replaced under warranty

Bad Fuel leak , destroyed the underside of the car , turns out the dealer hadn't fit the new fuel switch properly - another new fuel switch fitted.

Leaking oil from hub thru rear wheels - new seals

Then engine knock on start up - Many thanks to you for the heads up on this problem on defender2 site.

New engine installed under warranty this week, got it back today so fingers crossed its ok. It was the first puma engine the dealers had done ! not what I wanted to hear !

have also notice a hum in the rear diff on the motorway, will have to keep a close eye on that

To date its been back at the dealers 5 times in 8 months, to have the above sorted, I will soon have my own parking space there !

So if you have a puma with No problems, you are one of the lucky few. Would love to see a poll of puma owners, those with problems versus those without problems. Now that ford and their tight-assed accountants are gone maybe Tata will give us a good defender again . :rolleyes:

N.

Just trawled back through this thread and it makes very interesting reading - especially liked MOG's comparison video on Youtube.

I do have to say and this incredibly subjective but the td5 does 'sound' better, more decibels yes but it's an incredibly distinctive sound a td5, you recognise it anywhere.... - the Puma version sounds well....... like a Transit van but what can you expect. :P

It is also interesting though that I didn't clock many issues in the thread with the reliability of the Puma engine in the thread, some yes but most issues seemed to be with stuff that have affected Defenders for years if not decades - it could be therefore have been a good decision of Ford to use this lump or maybe it's a bit early to make that call.

24000 miles probably one of the highest mileage ones!

1. No mechanical problems

2. No bodywork problems

3. 34mpg

4. 70 mile commute every day

Definate progress as far as I'm concerned

1. Grease UJ's every 3k

2. Change engine oil every 6k

3. Change all transmission lubricants every 12k

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: