possible problem

siearl

All,

Just looking for some clarifacation, i was having trouble with the 110 just cutting out on me as i was driving along, i thought i had sorted it by finding a problem wire on the fuel pump. if the wire was still broken would just normal driving on a straight road affect it.

Thanks all Engine is a 3.9 V8 efi and the wire in question is where the ecu and fuel pump relay are.

If the wire was "broken" anything could affect it. The fuel pump dying would show up as a loss of power and really rough running for a few seconds then dying. I would suspect the ignition amplifier, they fail when hot and then start working again after a bit - usually the time it takes you to stop, poke a few unrelated bits and get back in.

An Update, have found it was not the fuel pump it was the air mass meter, i had not plug the cable back in to it, however i am having ignition problems i have been through the dizzy, the cap rotor arm, ht leads, i have checked the fuel pump was working and fuel going through but all i am getting is it is trying to fire over, coughing and spluttering but it is not starting. Any one got any ideas

Its probably not your problem but I spent 18months chasing a cutting out problem, replaced everything in the fuel system except the fuel tank (which was spotless inside) only to eventually spot the waxed cardboard cap from a Redex bottle floating in the tank. The damn thing caused me months of fustration and no small about of aggravation trying to retrieve it with a sharpened welding rod ;)

Will :)

Have you checked that the spark from the coil is big enough?

I had an ignition problem before the last Shires 7 Sisters do and ended up replacing the coil. I had fuel, air and spark all at the pistons, but the spark wasn't big enough! Turns out that when people say that you beed a F BIG spark for a Rover V8, they mean that the coil needs to be throwing out a bolt of lightning!!

Mght work.......