Which one is best

reads90

Ok need a new disco for the misses and as the family car, and touring with the two dogs

Want to get somthing a bit more trust worthy than the 300 Tdi disco. As my misses wants to be able to pop down to Sydney to see her sis. That is a 1400 mile round trip.

Needs to be able to do a few holidays, which would be on Fraser Island , Morton Island. and the Kimberleys, Simpson Desert,

all towing the off road trailer and doing a bit of off roading.

Now the choice is between a Late D2 or Early D3

it would be a very Late auto td5 D2.

Or an early D3 . Not in the horible crappy V6 engine one . They might be cheaper but the amout of fuel they use is stupid and have no power, Bit like the old Land rover 2.5 :) . So it would have to be the diesel Auto

Which does everyone think would be the best, as in working and lasting the course better.

I have put this on this forum and not the disco one as i want answers from all the people on the forum who may have heard what is better but not had a disco. And after all i have a disco and a defender but never look at thoses forums :)

Cheers

Ali

Or an early D3 . Not in the horible crappy V6 engine one . They might be cheaper but the amout of fuel they use is stupid and have no power, Bit like the old Land rover 2.5 :) . So it would have to be the diesel Auto

Have I missed something?

The V6 is a diesel, or is there a petrol V6, thought that was still a V8?

I would go for a DII, but that is because I think the D3 is effing hideous.

For mods and toys the D2 would win hands down and cost of repairs I would assume the D2 would again be less costly.

would you honistly be happy to plough through the sea on fraser like we were in Aug....

also the petrol V6 isn't about here in the UK but you know that....

D3 as good as it is when it brakes can you / could Sue and two big dogs limp it home.

If kids are on the horizon go for the D3 as the back doors on the D2 are a joke when getting a child in.

So they are still sending out vehicles to OZ with crappy engines then e.g. marina with r series maxi engine , :o

:lol:

They got the Layland V8 4.5 ish which I alway though was a good lump.

There not worried about fuel so what does it matter, Thay don't need to pay £108.9 pr liter (my local Texaco diesel price) :angry:

Sorry for going off topic

:lol:

They got the Layland V8 4.5 ish which I alway though was a good lump.

There not worried about fuel so what does it matter, Thay don't need to pay £108.9 pr liter (my local Texaco diesel price) :angry:

Sorry for going off topic

The problen with the V6 petrol is it uses the same amout of fuel as the v8 but dies not have the power, as i said like the old 2.5 petrol :)

But the D3 is a bit of a bitsa.

As Its comes with the option of a Jag, Ford, or peugeot engine :)

Get a D2. I have driven lots of both and have lots of experience of what goes wrong with both and I still have my D2 with no plans to change for a number of very good reasons which can be indirectly summed up in one short sentence: the D3 is lovely when it all works.

Jules - £108 per litre - ouch :huh:

I would go for a nice D2. Had 3 ES's and premiums and very nice, while still quite tough. I took off in one after cresting a small dune too fast and it was fine, got a hell of a bang as the front axle came up and hit the bump stops on landing though.

I find the D3 looks too bland, personal opinion of course. :) Oh, and it's far too heavy / complex.

Richard

FWIW I'd keep the 300tdi

A TD5 has to have the nuts revved off it to go anywhere, and drinks diesel like nothing else.

I preferred the TD5manual to the auto ( had both )

Now got a D3 which is a far superior ( expensive ) vehicle.

Man TD5, 18 months one warrenty clain when rear wiper dropped down and scraped the paint off the back door, ( 29mpg)

Aut TD5 24 months back and forth to garage to get what turned out to be an AFM fault disgnosed and repaired ( 22 / 23 mpg)

D3 so far so good after 12 months! (30+ mpg)

BUT

All these were driven in the UK, with light off road use. Nothing like what you are probably going to submit yours to.

Actually preferred the D2 off road purely because it is lighter and doesn't slide as far. Once the D3 starts sliding it goes a long way!

You really need the info from someone out your neck of the woods for an informed opinion.

With comments like this, and your Auz has cheap fuel thread I just think you like to get a reaction. :P

:):) Nah , just need a new car and although i like the defender , after driving 25,000 miles in 7 months, had enough of driving defenders too far :)

Plus not too many people here in Aus to ask questions like this, not many Land Rovers out here compaired to uk. So have to ask question on here to get a better view of opion. after all i now live in the land of the Toyota :):)

Dispite doing 30,000 miles plus per year I do use a defender.

The new one is more comfortable though.

I had three very nice Disco 2s and although I liked them very much after six months or so I found myself fancying a change. By comparison I had the 110 for a year, bought a newer one the same and had that onother two years before downsizing to a 90.

I'm sure the disco 3 is a great car, but it's too expensive new for me and after the warantee runs out (and it's cheaper) I would be concerned about reliability. Plus I would want to use it off road and would be concerned about the weight and damage to it.

Richard

Dispite doing 30,000 miles plus per year I do use a defender.

The new one is more comfortable though.

I had three very nice Disco 2s and although I liked them very much after six months or so I found myself fancying a change. By comparison I had the 110 for a year, bought a newer one the same and had that onother two years before downsizing to a 90.

I'm sure the disco 3 is a great car, but it's too expensive new for me and after the warantee runs out (and it's cheaper) I would be concerned about reliability. Plus I would want to use it off road and would be concerned about the weight and damage to it.

Richard

The best bit about off roading here is it is open areas and there fore not much damage. When you come across somthing bad you can (most of the time) drive around it . So just water crossing and dirt tracks with corrigations. So not real Uk style off roading of up to door handles in mud and squezzing between trees.

So i would have no problem of driving a D3 around aus , as many of them already have. But as you say worried about the running cost of somthing going wrong out of warrenty as anything on a d3 is going to hurt the pocket. Where as a D2 will still hurt but not as much :)