Major Winch Problems

Speedy_Gonzales

I bought a 12,000lb winch (chinese import) and winch bumper from a reputable dealer local to me.

I have used this for self recovery on 3 occasions and it has failed me in all 3 instances:

1st Instance - Winch locked up during pull and would not go in or out, solenoids just 'clicked', plus it made a horrible grinding noise (I am assured it wasnt heat cut out either). Once the pressure was taken off the winch, it worked again. This the winches first outing, I took it back and the supplier repaired the freespool, apparently there was a metal 'buhr' (Spelling?) on the spool.

2nd Instance - Winch locked up again (mid pull) and would not go in or out, solenoids just 'clicked', and I had to be recovered by a friend. Winch worked again after load release.

3rd Instance - Winch locked up again (mid pull...again!) and would not go in or out, solenoids just 'clicked'. This time the bumper winch mount distorted under the pressure and the winch ceased to function at all. I had to be recovered by a friend. Winch worked again after load release.

I rang the supplier today and told him the winch was 'not fit for the job', and that I wanted either a branded replacement (i.e Warn, Comeup etc) or my money back. No comment, they want to see the winch and the bumper..... Now Im not sure of my consumer rights or guarantee here (I only bought the kit in Sept 2007), but I cannot take my vehicle on any overland trip or use it off-road due to the fact that if the winch fails again I cannot recover myself. The product is simply not good enough for the job and I am not happy with it...

Any ideas folks? :(

Plain and simple response to this.

Sale of Goods Act

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 traders must sell goods that are as described and of satisfactory quality.

If consumers discover that products do not meet these requirements they can reject them and ask for their money back providing they do so quickly. Alternatively, they can request a repair or replacement or claim compensation.

The Sale of Goods Act has been amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 which transpose a European Directive. Although the impact of the Regulations is relatively modest there are some useful benefits for consumers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you get no joy

then use this:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabo...laims/index.htm

Be mindful though if the winch has been submerged in water he'll say you have misused it.av-4620.jpg

Lastly try and avoid cheap Chinese imports :)

Plain and simple response to this.

Sale of Goods Act

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 traders must sell goods that are as described and of satisfactory quality.

If consumers discover that products do not meet these requirements they can reject them and ask for their money back providing they do so quickly. Alternatively, they can request a repair or replacement or claim compensation.

The Sale of Goods Act has been amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 which transpose a European Directive. Although the impact of the Regulations is relatively modest there are some useful benefits for consumers.

So whats my argument then Tony? Not fit for the job as sold to me?

yes not fit for purpose.

Call the local CAB(Citizens Advice Bureau)

they are ideal for giving out the best info.

The winch has failed to do what it was supplied for and is therefore not fit for purpose

you are entitled to a refund or suitable replacement

yes not fit for purpose.

Call the local CAB(Citizens Advice Bureau)

they are ideal for giving out the best info.

The winch has failed to do what it was supplied for and is therefore not fit for purpose

you are entitled to a refund or suitable replacement

Thanks Tony, Im not going to name the company in question as I need to return it so they can make a decision, but if they are not-forthcoming in either a refund or replacement brand winch (from them) then I will name them and shame then on all the forums and in the Landy mags too...

Well you need to give them a fair chance to inspect it.

but as I said if you have had the winch under water you'll find the warranty etc void.

Shame to say but cheapest isn't always the best.

if the winch is just a pile of carp and has been looked after and not waded you are entitled to recompense.

Next time try the suppliers one here people recommend

X eng

Gigglepin

Ashcrofts

PG winches

OEC

to name but a few

Well you need to give them a fair chance to inspect it.

but as I said if you have had the winch under water you'll find the warranty etc void.

Shame to say but cheapest isn't always the best.

if the winch is just a pile of carp and has been looked after and not waded you are entitled to recompense.

Next time try the suppliers one here people recommend

X eng

Gigglepin

Ashcrofts

PG winches

OEC

to name but a few

You are right, I will give them a chance first,

though I have only used it on two outings, and it has been well cared for.....

Thanks for the feedback Tony, I will update this thread with any feedback :)

I do not know what winch it is your using..................

However i have had a similair problem with a lowline winch. In this instance it turned out that part of the gear set had not been fitted to the winch during manufacture, allowing the winch to work until put under load.

The winch was duely replaced by the importer and problem solved.

In your case though i would be deeply concerned that the bumper/mounting has distorted and i would want this rectified with a superior mount capable of handling your winch.

In this situation you must allow time for the dealer concerned to repair or replace both items.

Be paitent, i know it is frustrating, but if they fail to sort out your problem then you can/should perhaps take it further.

I wish you luck and a speedy resolution to this problem

Jim :)

In this situation you must allow time for the dealer concerned to repair or replace both items.

Be paitent, i know it is frustrating, but if they fail to sort out your problem then you can/should perhaps take it further.

I wish you luck and a speedy resolution to this problem

Jim :)

Totally right - you want to be firm but aggressive with them. As Tony said you’re protected by the Sale of Goods act. In this case you should be able to claim that the winch is neither of 'satisfactory quality' nor 'fit for purpose'. They may try and fob you off by saying too long has past (you can argue that there have been constant problems with the product and you have continually complained about the problems) and that the winch has been misused (hard to argue given they knew what the product would be used for). Try to avoid getting to the small claims court if you can as it'll only delay getting your problem sorted however it is a relatively painless way of getting a solution if all else fails.

I'd also echo what the others have said - when it comes to winches spend your money once and spend it right. In many ways it’s more important for someone like you who doesn't use they're winch often as winches tend to fare better when used regularly.

Totally right - you want to be firm but aggressive with them. As Tony said you’re protected by the Sale of Goods act. In this case you should be able to claim that the winch is neither of 'satisfactory quality' nor 'fit for purpose'. They may try and fob you off by saying too long has past (you can argue that there have been constant problems with the product and you have continually complained about the problems) and that the winch has been misused (hard to argue given they knew what the product would be used for). Try to avoid getting to the small claims court if you can as it'll only delay getting your problem sorted however it is a relatively painless way of getting a solution if all else fails.

I'd also echo what the others have said - when it comes to winches spend your money once and spend it right. In many ways it’s more important for someone like you who doesn't use they're winch often as winches tend to fare better when used regularly.

UPDATE: Took it back this evening and they admitted that the bumper was bent (after being very defensive initially - but once I took it off completey it was very obvious)..

I think they are prepared to do me a deal on a new Warn 8274 and bumper (Defender 110), but they want a grand + VAT which [i think] is a carp price. I told the manager I will be looking at competor prices and will get back to him tomorrow. (I hinted at a full refund if the price wasnt right!)...

Will an 8274 be strong enough for a TD5 110? If not, it would be good if you guys posted some suggestions on what would be the ideal winch.. I will look at some of the posts on the forum for suggestions too...

Appreciate the help guys, keep up the good work :)

Spent all day hauling a heavy rangie round with an ep9 on sunday, and can't fault it. I am not sure I would describe it as fast, certainly not compared to my 8074 but it's not slow either, and worked faultlessly from the word go. We like ep9's. :)

Spent all day hauling a heavy rangie round with an ep9 on sunday, and can't fault it. I am not sure I would describe it as fast, certainly not compared to my 8074 but it's not slow either, and worked faultlessly from the word go. We like ep9's. :)

A lot of the marshals in the club use ep9's and I think they're a good winch for good general recovery. Not as fast as the 8274 and the drum is shallow but they're not expensive, reliable and pull well. Its a very safe bet.

As far as the price goes, £1k plus the dreaded is good deal if you're buying new but it isn't great on top of what you've already spent.

Just thought I would update you all:

Spoke to the supplier today and they have made me a full winch and bumper replacement offer of a an 8274 and high mount Defender bumper all in for £1000 (I paid about £700 for the defective winch and bumper). Originally they wanted £1175 and seemed like they would stick to their guns, but theyve dropped the VAT for the hassle of me having to return the winch twice and the bent bumper, and of course my dissatisfaction with the product...

I have taken them up on the offer and thanked them for doing me such a good deal, once the deal is done I will name the supplier on here for their good service in helping to resolve this issue...

All in all, lesson learned (dont buy imported Chinese carp!), I normally do lots of research on the net prior to purchasing anything, but this time I just went for something without looking into it..

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

Jamie

Just thought I would update you all:

Spoke to the supplier today and they have made me a full winch and bumper replacement offer of a an 8274 and high mount Defender bumper all in for £1000 (I paid about £700 for the defective winch and bumper). Originally they wanted £1175 and seemed like they would stick to their guns, but theyve dropped the VAT for the hassle of me having to return the winch twice and the bent bumper, and of course my dissatisfaction with the product...

I have taken them up on the offer and thanked them for doing me such a good deal, once the deal is done I will name the supplier on here for their good service in helping to resolve this issue...

All in all, lesson learned (dont buy imported Chinese carp!), I normally do lots of research on the net prior to purchasing anything, but this time I just went for something without looking into it..

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :)

Jamie

Excellent result - I think that's a very fair deal you got there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As all have said.

Pleased for you as you've been treated (more than) fairly here.

Also pleased to see a retailer with equally high business ethics, you may have picked and bought the wrong unit but your choice of retailer to deal with was at least right

Looking forward to hearing who they are - one to use methinks

Nige