Overseas fuel prices

Exmoor Beast

Can we get a bit of perspective here rather than just rattling off fuel prices ? How many gallons of fuel would ones weekly wage purchase ? would probably be more appropriate. Example, my weekly take home wage as a mechanic is around $750. I filled up with normal unleaded yesterday at $1.46 cents per litre, multiplied by 4.4 = $6.42 per gallon. so my wage will purchase just over 115 gallons of fuel.Other cost of living expenses such as rent, food, electricity,phone, gas and water rates should also be compared to determin just how much you are being ripped off.

Bill.

Can we get a bit of perspective here rather than just rattling off fuel prices ? How many gallons of fuel would ones weekly wage purchase ? would probably be more appropriate. Example, my weekly take home wage as a mechanic is around $750. I filled up with normal unleaded yesterday at $1.46 cents per litre, multiplied by 4.4 = $6.42 per gallon. so my wage will purchase just over 115 gallons of fuel.Other cost of living expenses such as rent, food, electricity,phone, gas and water rates should also be compared to determin just how much you are being ripped off.

Bill.

mmm you will have a shock about the uk if you did that Bill , Grass it not always greener on the other side. Makes me laugh when the aussies moan about the state of things here and how much stuff is. They don't know how lucky they are :)

good idea bill but you need to work it out on the average wage of the country as not everyone has the same job

So the Uk has an average wage of £23,764 , (Source) With working on the basis of tax and carp takes 25% of the total and that leaves you with what you have in your pocket £17,823, which devided by 52 ( for weeks) This makes it that the average in the Uk is £342.75 per week in your pocket

Now at £1.129 a ltr that would be £5.125 a gallon Working on Uk 1 gallon = 4.54 ltr .That would buy someone living in the Uk on average wage 66.878 gallons of fuel a week

On now to Aus

Australian Average wage is $49,000 (Source ) Ok again working on the basis of 25% on tax and carp . This gives you $37, 750 a year and $706.73 a week take home.

Fuel price here in Brisbane checked tonight $1.32 Ltr = $5.9928 a gallon . So that makes it 117.929 gallons that an aussie can buy a week.

So i think that is a accute way of telling that fuel is is cheaper here in aus :)

So i think that is a accute way of telling that fuel is is cheaper here in aus :)

Oh I never doubted that fuel is cheaper here than the UK Ali. We are still being ripped off though. It should be cheaper here too. our public transport infrastructure is not as developed and generally we have to travel greater distances in the course of our daily lives, not including recreational pursuits.

I was just pointing out that people posting from all over the globe about the cost of a gallon of fuel in their respective localles is irrelevant unless the other factors I mentioned have been considered. I know SFA about the USA but I would be interested to know how cheap their fuel is in real terms relative to wages and other living costs.

Bill.

It should be cheaper here too. our public transport infrastructure is not as developed

Developed? Yes, here in the UK public transport outside of the major cities is pretty much developed out of existence or, at best, out of convenience!

Chris

Developed? Yes, here in the UK public transport outside of the major cities is pretty much developed out of existence or, at best, out of convenience!

Chris

i worked in oxford street in london once and was living just out side southampton. I told them that the local bus to southampton was every hour. they thought i was taking the tiddle , but i was not. they could not belive there was not a bus every 5 mins

Spoke to guy the other day who's in the oil game......

He said confidently that we WILL be seeing prices of £1.30 plus in the new year..........

Gorden Brown your days are numbered :angry:

Bet President Blair is killing himself laughing :rolleyes:

I have never actually gone out to support any of the fuel strikes in the past, but this time......... :angry:

Jim

Ps: Just looking through some stuff, in 1994 we were paying less than 50p a litre of diesel and it was half the price of petrol :o

Where has it gone wrong........... Oh yeh, ten years of labour :lol:

Ps: Just looking through some stuff, in 1994 we were paying less than 50p a litre of diesel and it was half the price of petrol :o

Where has it gone wrong........... Oh yeh, ten years of labour :lol:

:hysterical:

Jim, get off the fence and say what you mean :ph34r:

I'm sure our British stiff upper lipness will prevail, and we will continue to bitch & moan on forums, but do sweet FA else. :angry:

Hmmm....rolling road block anyone?

Seriously though...its just really struck me about how much I am going to be robbed when I finally get a real job.

Normal wage for an engineering graduate is about £22k - knock of 25% for tax...£16.5k. Knock off another 5k for repayment of the student loan...£11k.

That is less than I am making now as a semi-skilled labourer. Why-ever did I bother training?

Moan over.... B)

Nick,

There is some serious thought here at work regarding producing our own biodiesel, would you be prepared to give the benefit of your knowledge / experience ? We have tanks, pumps, filters and pipework, so we have the basics.

Start off at Journey to forever and read their recipes, you can buy caustic and methanol from Jennychem in reasonable quantities by mail order, although they are local to you. When you need to start buying by the 200l (900l of biodiesel) then I can point you in the direction of my research on methanol supply. Buy a 25kg bag from Jenny for a few quid, it will make over 5000l of bio!