weekend mud tyres

pugwash

looking for some bigger weekend tyres in 285/75/16 or bigger- looking at remoulds that won't see many road miles, and the only thing i can find at the moment are greenway machos or bronco grizly claws

what are the panels views on these or other options- don't want to spend more than £80/tyre if i can help it.

cheers all

Jim,, can only speak as i find, !! would not give the grizly claws house room,

For on road, would rather drive 10 times the distance on Simex, than Grizly's , unless i had a duff set, was like driving on square wheels, certainly round the corners

As Chris says, for the extra cost, go BFG, Presume they are for the Toyota

yeah they are for the Toy,

i have to run 16" rims (standard yota alloys are 8x16), but i can fit up to 35" tyres with just a small suspension lift (standard tyres are 32"). this means i can run up to 315/75r16 easily. BUT i don't want to do it by spending £150/tyre as i have a perfectly acceptable set of 285/75 BFG ATs on there at the moment.

i do want more grip for laning, 7S, DRD days etc etc

where's the best place to get BFG MTs from?

Shop around and play one supplier off against another. They all want the business and will compete for it. When I bought mine I got them from a local tyre dealer owned by Micheldever tyres (UK BFG importer) but Nene Valley would supply only for lots (and I do mean LOTS) less.

Chris

Jim,

Owing to the none small fact that the SS TSL LTB's are hard going on my ageing bones and they have a huge amount of drag for everyday use, I have just swapped to a set of Kumho KL71's (directional MT's)......................I will then run two sets of tyres ...............

Pricing on these was interesting ................. way, way cheaper than BFG ...............

Protyre at Exeter (Kumho importers - part of the 4site group) provided the cheapest quote and that was well cheaper than any internet price ......................

Chris is right about supply only ................. the supply on price was £22 per tyre cheaper ........................ Tomorrow morning my local tame tyre fitted gets and early chrismas drink !

:)

Ian

I've just shopped around for my BFG MT's, local tyre places seem to be the way forward as the 4x4 places seem (in my experiance) to be a bit over priced on BFG, but I went to a normal tyre place and got them fitted, balance and with the VAT for less than any of the 4x4 suppliers could offer them +VAT off the shelf then fitting balancing on top....I went through website, let me see if I can find it....

thanks chaps,

Chris- will aproach Nene and see what they say,

Ian- really interested in the KL71, what size did you manage to get in the end? i've just phoned protyre in exeter but they haven't got a clue when the tyre might come in- they did quote a very very keen price though at £106 for a 305/75r16 which is a pretty good price i reckon.

I needed skinny's ....................235/85/16 ............. £72 each

They had 265/75/16 in stock ......................

You could always call camskill ...............they are reporting stock of 285/75/16 ...........£98..............tell Protyre thats the fitted price you have been quoted ;)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s1682p12004

HTH

:)

Ian

Jim - you really telling me you would go to the hassel to change the rims just for a weekend! does that mean you will be even later whenever we meet?

Why not just get a set of 33" MTs then no supsension lift needed ready to greenlane and go with us next years trip

Just buy some BFG MTs Jim, changing wheels is such a PITA that you will not want to be bothered. IMHO.

Chris

I went down the same thought process and decided that as Chris above, I wouldn't/couldn't be arsed to change. I run 285/75 BFG MT full time on the Defender and they are superb.

Should cost you about £90ea + vat.

I needed skinny's ....................235/85/16 ............. £72 each

Ian

How are they on road compared to BFGs etc?

Also does anyone have any experience of Cooper Discoverer STT (as used by Lone Wolf / Long Way Down)?

Father Xmas is going to need a big sled this year... :D