Defender Door Security

I have a hardtop TD5 Defender, I got video of someone trying to get into it the passenger side door this evening, luckily the alarm went off when they opened the door and they ran off, but it must have taken him about 2 seconds to twirl the lock....little scrote....

Anyway, Im thinking of getting an aftermarket Cat1 alarm fitted, but my vehicle has no central locking...

Do I need to fit Land Rover central locking motors or do they come with the alarm (i.e Clifford etc)..?

And is there anyway to replace the door handles with the key type you see on commercial vans (I think they are made by chubb...?), or even get rid of them completely and remove the keyhole?

do you want to stop them getting into vehicle or driving it off?

If former, there's really no point putting on beefier locks without treating the windows, otherwise they'll just smash the window in. You can use film on side windows and grills on inside of rear windows.

As for locks, you'll have to put on separate locks, otherwise it's easy to punch a scewdriver through the door panel in the right place and lift the lock mechanism.

Even after you've done all that they can just undo 4 screws on your door hinges and pull door open that way. Sods law says that when they undo the door hinges the captive nuts work and don't spin like they would if you needed to take them off! ;);)

If it's to make it hard for them to disappear with your Defender I would say that fitting a Meck Lock or one of those pedal boxes is the best bet to prevent this.

The Cat1 alarm is a waste of money imho, as is any tracking device on a Defender.

Cheers

Steve

Mr Bean knows how.

post-209-1196671511_thumb.jpg

Seriously though, a Cat1 alarm does not need any central door locking AFAIK, it is just an alarm. Nice to have central locking though. :) You could probably make it wind the windows up too!

If you want to make your car secure from theives (as in the kind who steal from your car) then do not leave any valuables in there. Fit a cubby box like the Mobile Storage Systems one with the stereo hidden from view when the lid is closed. Even a face off stereo just says to a criminal that they need to look in the glove box for the face. Either hide it or fit a steam driven one that is undesirable. Same goes for the satnav. If you leave the mount there then the criminal will break in and look for the satnav. in the glovebox etc. as most people leave them in the car anyway. Don't leave your toolbox in the car. In short, give the scrotes no reason to break into the car. My wife is happy to leave her handbag on the car seat if it is empty (i.e. she is useing another one) as there is nothing to steal. Of course, she seems blind to the fact that a thief will have to break the window before he finds this out!

As far as immobilising the car goes then go for solutions like steering wheel, handbrake etc. locks. Visible deterants. I presume that your video was from CCTV? How visible is the camera? These things are no deterrent if people cannot see them.

HTH

Chris

And another thing...

As to tracking devices, get an old PAYG mobile with a car charger and hide it in the head lining/door trim etc. with a power supply. Get it registered with one of the mobile tracking companies and bob's your uncle, vehicle tracking with no ongoing charges. If the car gets nicked you trace the phone (some networks are better than others) and head on down there with your 2 feet of 4x2... :) Or call the police - if they have anyone not manning a speed trap available to deal with crime.

You could also use this system to keep tabs on the wife. :) I think that you can set these systems up to alert you if the car enters or leaves certain areas - for example the shoe shop, hair dresser, bakers... :D

Chris

Unless the little scrote is quite clever....

Even if he had got into the Defender, unless he'd got a few brain cells than the average scorte, he still would not have been able to start your Td5 - as if you've got the alarm (10AS) unit in the upgraded state (which you should have, if you've got a two button fob) then you will a passive coil around the igntion barrel - which forms part of the immobilser circuit.

Without the fob, even bodging the ignition barrell would not have allowed him to start the Landy.

A CAT 1 Alarm is a useful aaccessory, but really won't do much more than your current Land Rover alarm - in fact I fitted a Cobra alarm for someone the other (is CAT 1 when fitted by a 'professesional') and was shocked how easy it was to override!!!

Personnally, mechanical protection is the way forward!!!

The Mechlock from MUD STUFF is a nice bit of kit - along with a very visible steering wheel lock (the type that covers the steering wheel) is probably the best way to go.

If you want to make your Td5 even more theft proof, I'd also add a lock onto the seatbox panel, preventing access to the ECU.

Ian

do you want to stop them getting into vehicle or driving it off?

I have a mechanical lock on the diff box which should thwart any theft attempts and presumably the immobiliser will help slow any potential vehicle thief down, in all honesty I think the little **** last night was probably just after the stereo..

I know that Im not got to be able to stop access completely, but really just want to know what options are available to me so any potential opportunist thief will think twice about trying to get in for something on the dashboard or my stereo etc..

Thanks

Jamie

There is a company that sells a specific central locking kit for the defender (in any form, ie 3 door, 5 door) etc, which I will try to find for you later on as I'm having trouble right now.

The standard Landrover alarm is fine and is equivalent to a Cat1 anyway.

Again the best thing to do is leave stuff out of sight, looks like the alarm put him off anyway!