AWG 2 Cable - is it enough?

smo

With a Defender, it makes sense to go larger due to the long cable runs compared to a "normal" vehicle. IMO, welding cable is the best choice. It is flexible and has a strong, heat resistant insulation. I'm running 2/0, which calculates out to 0.4 volt drop at 450 Amps for about the run required. The 2 guage would give around 0.85 Volts drop.

and again.........

Bish....from another post I did

Current carrying capacity

25 mm - 183 Amps

35 mm - 226 Amps

50 mm - 274 Amps

70 mm - 351 Amps

Roughly ..... for 90 oC Tri Rated cables degined to run hot

volts drop for those interested....

25 mm - 1.85 Mv/A/M

35 mm - 1.35

50 mm - 0.99

70 mm - 0.68

all these are Millivolts/per amp/per metre...

so for example....

70mm @ 0.68 Mv-A-M/ 300 Amps / 4 m cable run = 0.81 Volts drop

35 mm @ 1.35 Mv-A-M/ 300 Amp /4 m cable run = 1.62 Volts drop

this would be higher if your current draw is higher obviously

70mm @ 0.68Mv-A-M / 450 Amp / 4m Cable = 1.22 Volts drop

35mm @ 1.35Mv-A-M / 450 Amp / 4m Cable run = 2.43 volts drop

so your 12 volt winch with nominal 12 volts could only be getting 9.57 volts at the motor....using 35mm compared to 10.78 using 70 mm

obviously you will have hopefully a bit more that the nominal 12 volts available but after a fair bit of winching you may not , and its only for comparison

HTH

See also......

Lifetime Cable Guide (part numbers/spec etc) http://www.power-store.com/includes/download.asp?docid=296

Our clever little cable calculator (remember when you enter length, you need to add the total length of +ve and the total length of -ve) http://www.power-store.com/includes/download.asp?docid=297

Manual for the above...

http://www.power-store.com/includes/download.asp?docid=298

I'm able to supply everything from 0.8mm2 - 103mm2, single core, dual core, triple core. Its all oil/UV/chemical proof and its even fire retardant!! also tinned marine grade so it should never corrode.... B)

Matt.

You want a max volt drop of 0.5 volt.

Welding cable will give better results than typical battery cable (more strands for a given size).

If use vu-tron cable from Carol Cable, you can go one size smaller, compared to welding cable.

If your stall amp draw is 450amps, a 10' #2 cable will give you a volt drop of 0.90 volts. To get down to 0.5 volts you'll need 0 (one aught), or 8.25mm dia, cable. 2/0 (a very large cable) will give 0.41 volt drop.

• 4 weeks later...

...sorry to awaken an old post - but am I right in thinking that this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Welding-Cable-35mm-2...oQQcmdZViewItem

will do the job for a removable winch (Warn 9.5XP) at front or a long run to the rear for occasional use?

I was proposing to use Anderson connectors to limit voltage drop as well?

Can I get the cable cheaper?

Grateful for advice.

and again.........

Bish....from another post I did

Current carrying capacity

25 mm - 183 Amps

35 mm - 226 Amps

50 mm - 274 Amps

70 mm - 351 Amps

Roughly ..... for 90 oC Tri Rated cables degined to run hot

volts drop for those interested....

25 mm - 1.85 Mv/A/M

35 mm - 1.35

50 mm - 0.99

70 mm - 0.68

all these are Millivolts/per amp/per metre...

so for example....

70mm @ 0.68 Mv-A-M/ 300 Amps / 4 m cable run = 0.81 Volts drop

35 mm @ 1.35 Mv-A-M/ 300 Amp /4 m cable run = 1.62 Volts drop

this would be higher if your current draw is higher obviously

70mm @ 0.68Mv-A-M / 450 Amp / 4m Cable = 1.22 Volts drop

35mm @ 1.35Mv-A-M / 450 Amp / 4m Cable run = 2.43 volts drop

so your 12 volt winch with nominal 12 volts could only be getting 9.57 volts at the motor....using 35mm compared to 10.78 using 70 mm

obviously you will have hopefully a bit more that the nominal 12 volts available but after a fair bit of winching you may not , and its only for comparison

HTH

Ah yes, and the voltage drop is pretty bad. Since the power(in Watts)is calculated as UxI (voltage times amperage), the difference in power for Les' example would be:

70mm2 @ 0,68Mv-A-M / 450 Amp / 4m Cable = 1,22 Volts drop = 10,78 Volts times 450 Amps = 4,851 kilowatts = 6.6 HP

35mm2 @ 1,35Mv-A-M / 450 Amp / 4m Cable run = 2,43 volts drop = 9,67 Volts times 450 Amps = 4,306 kilowatts = 5.8 HP

Which means that you effectively lose almost 1 HP from your winch motor.

/tony

...sorry to awaken an old post - but am I right in thinking that this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Welding-Cable-35mm-2...oQQcmdZViewItem

will do the job for a removable winch (Warn 9.5XP) at front or a long run to the rear for occasional use?

I was proposing to use Anderson connectors to limit voltage drop as well?

Can I get the cable cheaper?

Grateful for advice.

Nah, it's too thin. But you could double(run 2 cables in parrallel) it though, that would give you a total of 70mm2

Check my calc in this thread.

/tony